By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 at 22.5 percent marketshare!

Awesome. Hope you win your bet soon.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
TheBigFatJ said:
DMeisterJ said:
kingofwale said:
lol, I still remember that bet, it was ballsy to say the least.

Microsoft's market-share continue to drop. Wii is also gaining shares.

It was very ballsy. It'll happen, don't you think?

@ tuoyo

No reason, I'm just following Rubang who does it for every Percent the Wii gets. All in good fun.

Sony won't reach 25% this year. We've gone over the math -- it's unlikely. Should we do the math again with the new numbers?

I'd like to you to do the math again.

I'd do it... but i'm lazy.

souixan said:
25% is very likely all sony has to do is sell 1 out of every 4 consoles sold to achieve that. It'd not a difficult thing to do honestly. Gaining as you start exceeding 50% then it get's tough as you have to maintain a better than 50% sales rate to keep gaining.

Don't they have to sell more then 1 out of ever 4 consoles? Otherise at some point they'd be stuck at some percentage just below 25%.

Fresh numbers. Here we go!

By the end of 2008:

------------
Wii gets 48% market share 44.3 million units sold
Xbox 360 gets 27% market share 25 million units sold
PS3 gets 25% market share 23 million units sold
------------

This means the following must happen (approx numbers as of July 1)
------------
Wii must sell: 44.3 - 28.8 = 15.5 million units / 6 months = 2.58 million/mo avg.
360 must sell: 25 - 19.5 = 5.5 million units / 6 months = 0.92 million/mo avg.
PS3 must sell: 23 - 14 = 9 million units / 6 months = 1.5 million/mo avg.

------------

Okay, so with the holiday season coming we can see higher sales figures coming as well. The 360 getting nearly 1 million per month average? Unlikely, but possible. The Wii getting 2.58 million per month average? It seems pretty high, but again possible. The PS3 getting 1.5 million per month average? What on God's green earth would cause that?

BY the way.. the Wii increase a 0.1 too...

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

Around the Network

These threads are overly annoying.

STOP MAKING THREADS WHENEVER A CONSOLE MOVES UP .1%!!!!

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

souixan said:
25% is very likely all sony has to do is sell 1 out of every 4 consoles sold to achieve that. It'd not a difficult thing to do honestly. Gaining as you start exceeding 50% then it get's tough as you have to maintain a better than 50% sales rate to keep gaining.

Here's how the math works:

28.96 + 19.72 = 48.68 (total number of Xbox 360s + Wiis sold)

Now, let's assume that's 75% of the market.  To find the total market size, divide by 0.75.

48.68 / 0.75 = 64.9 = number of 360s + PS3s + Wiis if PS3 has 25% of the market.

64.9 - 48.68 = 16.22 = number of PS3s that would equal 25% of the market as of July 5 according to VGC.

16.22 - 14.14 = 2.08 million units = number of units short the PS3 is of having 25%. 

Of course, in order to maintain 25%, the PS3 would still have to sell 1 for every 4 units even if they sold 2.08 million extra units sometime soon.  Therefore, they need 1 in every 4 units sold plus an additional 2.08 million units.

Test the numbers:

28.96 / 64.9 = 44.6%

19.72 / 64.9 = 30.4%

16.22 / 64.9 = 25%

44.6% + 30.4% + 25% = 100%

This means that if the PS3 had 16.22 million units sold today it would be at 25%.  Therefore, in order to reach 25%, the PS3 would have to sell 1 for ever 4 consoles sold, plus it would have to make up an additional 2.08 million units.

Since the wildcard here is the "1 for every 4 consoles sold", whether or not Sony can do this depends heavily on how well the Wii and Xbox 360 continue to sell.  The PS3 started the year off very strongly but seems to have begun losing steam lately.  The result will probably come down to the holiday season, but if Sony doesn't make up a lot of units before November there will be little hope they can reach 25%.

31.4-22.5 = only 8.9% difference ... so the PS3 is on a roll lately and they'll possibly catch up in week to week software by Dec.

I think it's gonna happen.

dtewi said:
These threads are overly annoying.

STOP MAKING THREADS WHENEVER A CONSOLE MOVES UP .1%!!!!

This is getting dull. What gives you the right to dictate who can make a thread and for what reason? If you're not interested then don't read the thread, there's no rule saying you must read and comment on topics you find tedious.