By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: 'Disappointed in Square Enix'

TheSource said:

Sometimes I think Square-Enix bases the stories of betrayal in their RPGs on their business dealings haha.

Lesson here: Develop internal talent to produce high quality exclusives that sell gangbusters.

Sony has more internal talent than Microsoft does, but the drop from PS2 to PS3 is going to be ~130m to ~50m-75m. Thats really sharp.

Now look at Microsoft - imagine if they sold a similar number of consoles with 3rd party exclusives but then lost them all. With even less reliable franchises than Sony I think their fall would be even more precipitous.

MS has enough money to spent on exclusive deals. Sony just can't mess with MS moneywise. MS could buy Square Enix, just because they feel like to. I mean 45 billion USD for yahoo. Square Enix would be a smaller fish :D

I know they won't buy SE, but they could if they wanted to.

*edit* there is just no company that could convince a 3rd party developer just with the money. MS pays just too good.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network

Sony's decision to concentrate on internal development is a good choice, but no strategy is a good strategy without flexibility.

If sony can't produce enough AAA titles to satisfy their customers, attracting other potential gamers in the same time, they need to shop around to cover all the holes in their library

FJ-Warez said:
Xen said:
Shameless said:
Xen said:
Tbone said:
Of course they are surprised they lost their biggest exclusive game but on the other hand maybe sony should have secure ff13 instead.

GT5.

FF13 is (was?) a lot more hyped than GT5. Maybe not bigger saleswise, but I doubt a GT5 multiplatform announcement would have the impact FF13 multiplatform does for fans.

In the end - M$'s steal is more like a slap in the face than a serious financial blow, and GT5 is an eternal exclusive... in the end what matters to the companies are the sales, and GT5 will provide more than all the FF sales combined.

Maybe, but you don't get it, right now is more about the image and perception of the console... loosing a couple of big exclusives hurts the image of the console... yeah the PS3 have another exclusives but the damage is done... (Ask Nintendo about the N64 days)...

Yes, true... but I don't see a way to prevent it save for making them all first party games.

bonkers555 said:
Snake612 said:
what a stab in the back. thanks a lot square enix.

Like how Square-Enix and Konami stabbing Nintendo in the back?  What goes around come around.

SE going to Sony was a completely logical move profit wise due to the cartridge vs. CD issue.  This move isn't.  Now because FFXIII is going to the 360, PS3 owners have to wait until the 360 version is done before they can play it; which doesn't make sense from a profit standpoint because the PS3 version is already/almost done.  

Edit:Meaning, if SE releases it sooner for the PS3 version, they will get more profit due to the game just being OUT there sooner.

The Last Remnant is a timed exclusive for the 360.  The 360 version was easier for SE to make, so they're going to release it first since it seems to be done.  This is actually a smart decision profit wise.     

Look at these two incidents and see what an actual backstabbing is.  Both of these incidents hurt Sony and help MS.  The first not making any sense from a profit standpoint which hurts Sony, the second which obviously does make sense and hurts Sony. 

If both of these didn't make any sense, it might imply that SE was making poor decisions.  If both of them made perfect sense, there would be no fault whatsoever.  But now that there is a definite split for favoritism, it's obvious.

The only constant in these two events is that both hurt Sony and help MS.  SE won't even get the maximum amount of profit from doing this.  This implies that MS did indeed help SE in some manner to favor them over Sony. 

There was no such thing evident like this during 1996.  SE would've been screwed if they stuck with Nintendo, FF7 would have cost an enormous amount and they would be out of business. "What goes around comes around"?  It has to go around first 

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

i am glad sony is upset with square-enix bringing ff13 to the xb360. why, because sony is so arrogant in thinking that they cant be touched or hurt this gen and they are losing exclusive games/series and potential ppl to other platforms. ff13 will sell around 2 million- 3million ww on the xb 360 i think, the reason is simple now all the potential ppl who where gonna buy a ps3 for ff13, can save that money and buy other games on the xb 360. i do agree ms should build a better internal profile of games, but untill that happens i am happy that they are willing to spend some money in bringing games to the xb brand, that otherwise wouldnt see the light of day on that platform. i think sony should stop bitching about losing games to ms and either match them in price for the game or just accept the fact the devs want to make more money this gen to cover the cost of games.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Around the Network

@swyggi I will respectfully disagree.

He's saying MS paid Square, but that's just pandering to fanboys and he knows it's probably not true. Even if it were, he wouldn't know about it.

Microsoft wants success in Japan badly. If they paid Square, don't you think they would have gotten Japan? More likely, they didn't pay Square and Square is just disappointed in the PS3's sales figures and made a savvy business decision.

Here is the difference between MS buying this and winning it: primary Final Fantasy games will all likely come out on the 360 in the future and future MS consoles, and may even become 360-first.  If Final Fantasy 13 sells better than the 360, what if it becomes 360 first?  Then will MS accuse Sony of buying into it?

Whatever, it's just fanboy fodder.  Something for them to believe and something completely irrelevant which is intended to increase hatred of Microsoft rather than disappointment in Sony.

Sony fans should be disappointed in Sony if they care about this issue, not angry at Microsoft.  It's Sony who lost exclusivity of the franchise.

You guys put too much stock in the cartridge vs. cd issue.

The problem was N64 bombed in Japan, not that it had cartridges. In 1999-2001 you saw publishers complain about PS2 development alot...but once it was clear how well it would sell in Japan and worldwide everybody shut up.

DS has a slightly updated version of the N64 cartridges at a small size with much of the same limitations but the difference is it was a smash in Japan. Thats why it has so many S-E games, even though PSP is disc based and doing well in Japan too and initially looked like a safe bet to knock Nintendo off in Japan with portables.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

bonkers555 said:

How could they be surprised about the announcement? Take2 GTAIV sell better on the 360 then PS3. The only thing I'm suprise about was MGS4 didn't jump ship yet.

There were also 6 million more 360s sold when GTA4 released lol. Look at attach rates, you lose.

B

Sorry but attach rates are only used as a last resort. Nintendo had quite good attach rate on their first party titles on the Gamecube, but in the end not like it made any difference.

Companies gets paid for each game sold, not by how high attach rate it gets. And I think its quite common knowledge that the attach rate normally decrease as the system increase its sales and amount og games avaible :)