By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: 'Disappointed in Square Enix'

ClaudeLv250 said:
I did find it curious how they completely ignored FFXIII at the Sony press conference. What was their biggest game was not even presented amongst the exhibition of footage in the slightest.

They probably changed it last minute. Would have looked stupid to bring out the same trailer again.

Around the Network
Shameless said:
Xen said:
Tbone said:
Of course they are surprised they lost their biggest exclusive game but on the other hand maybe sony should have secure ff13 instead.

GT5.

FF13 is (was?) a lot more hyped than GT5. Maybe not bigger saleswise, but I doubt a GT5 multiplatform announcement would have the impact FF13 multiplatform does for fans.

In the end - M$'s steal is more like a slap in the face than a serious financial blow, and GT5 is an eternal exclusive... in the end what matters to the companies are the sales, and GT5 will provide more than all the FF sales combined.

kingofwale said:
Munkeh111 said:
So basically Sony thinks M$ paid for it, which is not very surprising

Since Sony does own small part of SE, and is on the board of directors (I assume based on their 5% ownership), I can say that if anybody knows how Microsoft got the exclusive, it's Sony.

Don't they own 8%?

Either way, SE are the Judas of Gaming.

Long lasting relationship with Nintendo. Then goes on to stab them in the back.

Long lasting relationship with Sony, not to mention Sony keeping them afloat financially after the Spirits Within disaster. Then goes on to stab them in the back.

Now goes with Microsoft and while they took one arm and hugged MS, they reached out the other and stabbed them in the back as well with no release in Japan.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

sounds like mimimimi

Sony paid Warner Brothers $500.000.000 to support BluRay. That is just business and Sony knows that.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

square just bitch slapped sony. ofcourse he cries himself to sleep at night

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

Around the Network

Unless your console has sold as well as the PS2 did, almost all exclusivity deals come at a price ...

Microsoft probably offered Square enough money to make Square-Enix to consider going multiplatform, SquareEnix went to Sony to see if they would match the offer to stay exclusive, they may have traded offers for some time before Microsoft was willing to spend more to make the game multiplatform than Sony was to keep it exclusive. The fact that Microsoft probably generates a decent profit off of each console after you consider all revenue gives them the option to start using their financial resources to attract third party development ...

Believe it or not, this is why losing money on hardware doesn't make sense and doesn't add value to the consumer. While Sony fans may receive $100 in "Free Technology" Microsoft fans will now gain access to games that they wouldn't have if Microsoft's gaming division wasn't profitable.

Honestly, I have less of a problem with M$ trying to get games to go multiplatform than having them buy exclusives.

The market should decide where the games go, not money made in other businesses.

DirtyP2002 said:
sounds like mimimimi

Sony paid Warner Brothers $500.000.000 to support BluRay. That is just business and Sony knows that.

Link?

wow... so Sony was surprised by this!!! :-o i wasnt expecting that.
square enix are a bunch of bums!!! >:o why would they do dat? >:o

Euphoria14 said:
kingofwale said:
Munkeh111 said:
So basically Sony thinks M$ paid for it, which is not very surprising

Since Sony does own small part of SE, and is on the board of directors (I assume based on their 5% ownership), I can say that if anybody knows how Microsoft got the exclusive, it's Sony.

Don't they own 8%?

Either way, SE are the Judas of Gaming.

Long lasting relationship with Nintendo. Then goes on to stab them in the back.

Long lasting relationship with Sony, not to mention Sony keeping them afloat financially after the Spirits Within disaster. Then goes on to stab them in the back.

Now goes with Microsoft and while they took one arm and hugged MS, they reached out the other and stabbed them in the back as well with no release in Japan.

I don't consider it that big a backstabbing.. When microsoft writes you a check of millions of dollars, it's hard to turn it down.

What I do consider backstabbing is the fact they STILL insisted on "exclusive" right until E3. If you are going to switch, TELL US BEFORE.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)