By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - After E3, who has the better game line-up? Sony or Microsoft?

Ok, exclusives-timed exclusives for rest 2008(usa-europe):

PS3:
1. Resistance 2
2. Little Big Planet
3. Socom Confrontation
4. Afrika
5. Valkyria Chronicles
6. Motorstorm:Pacific Rift
7. Naruto: Ultimate Storm
8. Disgaea 3
9. Siren New Translation
10. Ferrari Challenge Trofeo Pirelli

x360:
1. Gears 2
2. Fable 2
3. Banjo Nuts and Bolts
4. Tales of Vesperia
5. Infinite Undiscovery
6. Too Human
7. Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise
8. Race Pro

PC multiplatform games:
Agency
Left 4 Dead
Last Remnant

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network
Groucho said:

I think a lot of folks make the mistake of placing "technical marvel" above "fun game" and "capable of making lots of money"

The 10 games listed by the OP, in my opinion

Technical Marvel order:
Resistance2 > Gears2 > L4D > Fable 2 > LBP > Afrika > SOCOM > (BK, VC, IU)

Game potential fun order (highly subjective):
LBP > BK > (VC, IU, Fable2) > (SOCOM, Resistance2, Gears2) > L4D, Afrika

Attach-rate order (my take, of course):
LBP > Resistance2 > Gears2 > BK > (VC, IU, Fable2) > Afrika > SOCOM > L4D

Raw income order (based on previous orders, and current console totals):
Gears2 > BK > Resistance2 > LBP > IU > Fable2 > SOCOM > Afrika > VC > L4D

(yeah, I'm calling L4D as a dud)

If the Xbox360 is considered technically inferior then Gears 2 is in itself a technical marvel. *BOLD1*

Valve has made some of the most successful FPS games in the history of gaming. Their sales of HL1/2/3 alone exceed 15million. They have fun down to an art form. It explains their success yaknow? *Bold2*

Attach rate is a factor of sales vs consoles in the wild. How can LBP have a higher attach rate and a lower income than R2?!?!? *Bold3*

Reverse that, If valve sells a game for $50 they make $50... Console developers would be lucky to get $30. So one million sales on steam = 2 million through retailers on a console. They could easily sell 1.5million online and another 1.5 million on the Xbox360 so their gross income would most likely exceed everything else on the list by a fair margin.  *Bold4*

The best lineup? Shooters - Xbox360 takes the cake here, L4D + Gears 2 vs Socom + R2? No contest. Its Valve + Epic two AAA developers vs two AA developers. If KZ2 is included I would give a slight nod to Sony.

JRPGs - IU + TV + LR = no contest.

WRPGs - Fable 2 + Fallout 3 exclusive content vs what exactly? No contest.

Music games = Small advantage with Rockband timed exclusive... Apart from that its even.

Actiony/GTA type games = No idea... I didn't keep track with games like Infamous etc.

Tease.

Hey everyone! My opinion is FACT and if you think differently then you're just a stupid fanboy. I'm going to list some games and say that one list is better than the other even though things like that are subjective. That's why I pick
(Insert console here)

Squilliam said:
Groucho said:

I think a lot of folks make the mistake of placing "technical marvel" above "fun game" and "capable of making lots of money"

The 10 games listed by the OP, in my opinion

Technical Marvel order:
Resistance2 > Gears2 > L4D > Fable 2 > LBP > Afrika > SOCOM > (BK, VC, IU)

Game potential fun order (highly subjective):
LBP > BK > (VC, IU, Fable2) > (SOCOM, Resistance2, Gears2) > L4D, Afrika

Attach-rate order (my take, of course):
LBP > Resistance2 > Gears2 > BK > (VC, IU, Fable2) > Afrika > SOCOM > L4D

Raw income order (based on previous orders, and current console totals):
Gears2 > BK > Resistance2 > LBP > IU > Fable2 > SOCOM > Afrika > VC > L4D

(yeah, I'm calling L4D as a dud)

If the Xbox360 is considered technically inferior then Gears 2 is in itself a technical marvel. *BOLD1*

Lol.  If making games on the PS3 is harder than the 360, then no 360 game deserves a high spot, by the same "logic".

Valve has made some of the most successful FPS games in the history of gaming. Their sales of HL1/2/3 alone exceed 15million. They have fun down to an art form. It explains their success yaknow? *Bold2*

...on the PC.  They number amongst the 3rd party devs who are unwilling to develop on the PS3 because its "too hard".   Aw.  Not expecting much from them, even if it is spiffy on the PC.  iD used to make great games too... back when technical prowess mattered more than making... a good game.

Attach rate is a factor of sales vs consoles in the wild. How can LBP have a higher attach rate and a lower income than R2?!?!? *Bold3*

I was under the impression LBP was a downloadable title, and therefore cheaper.  If its full price then my order is wrong, of course.  Does that answer your ?!?!?  If it does, and my making a couple incorrect assumptions is okay with you, I hope you won't bust any veins or anything.

Reverse that, If valve sells a game for $50 they make $50... Console developers would be lucky to get $30. So one million sales on steam = 2 million through retailers on a console. They could easily sell 1.5million online and another 1.5 million on the Xbox360 so their gross income would most likely exceed everything else on the list by a fair margin.  *Bold4*

Steam is on the 360 now?  I thought we were talking 360 sales, not 360 + PC.  I'm sure L4D will be fine on the PC.  I didn't realize the 360 got to include PC versions in its numbers.

Groucho said:
Squilliam said:
Groucho said:

Edited for length

Lol.  If making games on the PS3 is harder than the 360, then no 360 game deserves a high spot, by the same "logic".

I won't even comment on this point, waste of time.

...on the PC.  They number amongst the 3rd party devs who are unwilling to develop on the PS3 because its "too hard".   Aw.  Not expecting much from them, even if it is spiffy on the PC.  iD used to make great games too... back when technical prowess mattered more than making... a good game.

Logically, regardless if they develop on the PS3 or not, they are one of the best FPS developers on the planet.  Fair enough your not expecting much but that really says little about you as a gamer.  They developed the game that completely changed the FPS genre.  They are the developers of one of the most complete FPS packages avaliable today.  As such, your opinion of them is completely unjustified. 

Secondly, ID still makes amazing games.  Gears of War for example will be one of the best if not the best shooter of this generation.  IMO nothing these year can touch it.  Sorry that you think that but IGN, Gamespot, 1up etc. all shake there head at you.

I was under the impression LBP was a downloadable title, and therefore cheaper.  If its full price then my order is wrong, of course.  Does that answer your ?!?!?  If it does, and my making a couple incorrect assumptions is okay with you, I hope you won't bust any veins or anything.

Steam is on the 360 now?  I thought we were talking 360 sales, not 360 + PC.  I'm sure L4D will be fine on the PC.  I didn't realize the 360 got to include PC versions in its numbers.

Around the Network
Fanatical111 said:
Groucho said:
Squilliam said:
Groucho said:

Edited for length

I won't even comment on this point, waste of time.

Logically, regardless if they develop on the PS3 or not, they are one of the best FPS developers on the planet.  Fair enough your not expecting much but that really says little about you as a gamer.  They developed the game that completely changed the FPS genre.  They are the developers of one of the most complete FPS packages avaliable today.  As such, your opinion of them is completely unjustified. 

HL and HL2 ware hardly a revolution.  I will agree to disagree with you on that.  You like it, I thought it was boring.  Decent shader tech, decent physics, same old gameplay.

Secondly, ID still makes amazing games.  Gears of War for example will be one of the best if not the best shooter of this generation.  IMO nothing these year can touch it.  Sorry that you think that but IGN, Gamespot, 1up etc. all shake there head at you.

Um.  iD had nothing to do with Gears.  Gears of War was a great addition to the shooter genre, though... but... wasn't made by iD... so why are we talking about it again?

Afrika instead of Motorstorm 2? Why are we limiting this to 5 games? What about Disgaea 3 and Naruto?

PS3 by a (country) mile.

ps3 r2 lbp(expeting 4ml sales ww) white knight story and MAG is going to me awesome