By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Question about ports

ok first of all please no fanboy hatred for the xbox 360 and no fanboy love for the PS3, I just want an honest answer.

for ffxiii Square Enix said they would release a japanese version on the PS3, then port it to the xbox 360 and PS3 for release together in NA and EU. 

Since they are building it on the PS3 first and then porting it to the xbox 360, does that hurt the quality? I mean you hear horror stories of ports all the time.  I am not talking about how many discs it will be, we all know it will be more than the PS3 which doesn't really matter anyways.  What I am asking is do you think the port will be of the same quality? or do you think the PS3 will have an advantage because they are building it first on that system?

Honest question though, cause i dont' know much about ports

Proud Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii owner (screw you nintendo for a crappy E3)

Around the Network

the lead platform is usually always better
if there is a lead on both then they're near/or identical

Lead platform has generally had the advantage, but that's usually been 360 -> PS3. PS3 -> 360 works out better than vice versa, at least according to some devs.

It depends how long they work on the port for. Remember, the Crystal Tools engine the game is based on was designed from the ground up to be multiplatform, and therefore easily port-able.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
FUNGAMESARECOOL said:

What I am asking is do you think the port will be of the same quality? or do you think the PS3 will have an advantage because they are building it first on that system?

The port will feature similar quality, why? because this is SE aproach, they want really good multiplatform tools to develop games, so they will not put their quality on doubt on this... go back and read all their statements since they bought a few UTEngine licenses... they are aiming for this...

Will the PS3 show an advantage? Yes, like having all the game on one disk, 7.1 channels support or smaller load times, any further comment like FPS, final resolution, texture quality, models, effects, anything like that is just pure speculation at this point...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
Around the Network

the lead platform has is a bit better,but the port can always be good(ex oblivion on ps3)

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

looking at square enix and the final fantasy franchise, both games will be really good in terms of quality.

since they are finishing the ps3 version first, if you put them side by side and compare... then the ps3 version will have many advantages and not just graphics.

FF games in the past have never been resource heavy games. If that holds true this time, it should play just fine on the 360.

The only disadvantage the 360 will have is disk swapping. Not sure where they plan to go with audio, but the PS3 has the ability for better audio (99% of people will never hear the difference however).

In the end, you will enjoy the game just as much, no matter what console you play it on.

That non-fanboy enough for you? :)

TheRealMafoo said:
FF games in the past have never been resource heavy games. If that holds true this time, it should play just fine on the 360.

The only disadvantage the 360 will have is disk swapping. Not sure where they plan to go with audio, but the PS3 has the ability for better audio (99% of people will never hear the difference however).

In the end, you will enjoy the game just as much, no matter what console you play it on.

Fair enough, though there's one little niggle I have about your analysis.  If they did in fact 'limit' the game to 5.1 audio on the 360, that would cut a sizeable chunk of data from the game, probably eliminating at least one, possibly two, discs.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
thekitchensink said:
TheRealMafoo said:

Fair enough, though there's one little niggle I have about your analysis.  If they did in fact 'limit' the game to 5.1 audio on the 360, that would cut a sizeable chunk of data from the game, probably eliminating at least one, possibly two, discs.

I expect the cut scenes to be compressed a little more on the 360 as well, but unless you are looking at them side by side, you should not notice a difference. That should help as well. A guess as to how many disks this game could take?

I would say 2 on the PS3, and 8-10 on the 360.