By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Question about ports

well this possible disk-swapping on the 360 makes me a bit worried.
Remember the PS1 FF games, every disk was a seperate chapter almost with a major event prompting a disk swap. will they have to re-write the story of FFXIII around separating the story into disk sized chunks for the 360 and therefore compromise the PS3 version?

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Around the Network
Spankey said:
Remember the PS1 FF games, every disk was a seperate chapter almost with a major event prompting a disk swap. will they have to re-write the story of FFXIII around separating the story into disk sized chunks for the 360 and therefore compromise the PS3 version?

What makes you think the PS3 won't need to swap disks?

Also, one big advantage of this generation, is hard drives. If you go back to all the FF games that came on more then one disk, it was only the cutscenes that took up all the space. when you go back to a location, you don't play the cutscene again.

So they could set it up where all the in-game locations are installed on the HD (3-4 gig install), and as the game progresses, you just swap disks to play the movies. This would allow you to jump all over the place and never swap disks.

It sounds like the PS3 version is going to be completed before the port even starts, so I doubt that we will get anything different for the PS3 then we would have otherwise.

TheRealMafoo said:
Spankey said:

Also, one big advantage of this generation, is hard drives. If you go back to all the FF games that came on more then one disk, it was only the cutscenes that took up all the space. when you go back to a location, you don't play the cutscene again.

So they could set it up where all the in-game locations are installed on the HD (3-4 gig install), and as the game progresses, you just swap disks to play the movies. This would allow you to jump all over the place and never swap disks.

It sounds like the PS3 version is going to be completed before the port even starts, so I doubt that we will get anything different for the PS3 then we would have otherwise.

if the PS3 does have to swap disks that would make things even more complicated imo.

Say it's on 2 BD disks and about 8 DVD's, that means that the gameflow and story would have to be split 8 times for the 360 and twice on the PS3 and still somehow keep the same experience on both. quite difficult i'm sure.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Spankey said:
TheRealMafoo said:
Spankey said:

Also, one big advantage of this generation, is hard drives. If you go back to all the FF games that came on more then one disk, it was only the cutscenes that took up all the space. when you go back to a location, you don't play the cutscene again.

So they could set it up where all the in-game locations are installed on the HD (3-4 gig install), and as the game progresses, you just swap disks to play the movies. This would allow you to jump all over the place and never swap disks.

It sounds like the PS3 version is going to be completed before the port even starts, so I doubt that we will get anything different for the PS3 then we would have otherwise.

if the PS3 does have to swap disks that would make things even more complicated imo.

Say it's on 2 BD disks and about 8 DVD's, that means that the gameflow and story would have to be split 8 times for the 360 and twice on the PS3 and still somehow keep the same experience on both. quite difficult i'm sure.

Maybe, but if so, that's the 360's problem, not the PS3's :p. I am sure we will know more then it gets closer to release.

yeah you're right so i'm not too worried :p

*waits for release dates news, but is not holding breath*

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Around the Network

FFXIII's lead development platform is PC. It is then ported to PS3 and X360.

(not joking)

shio said:
FFXIII's lead development platform is PC. It is then ported to PS3 and X360.

(not joking)

He's right you know.  It is being developed with Crystal Tools which is PC based (Formally White Engine) and Unreal Engine 3 (Which they decided on later because it worked really well with Last Remnant - which is also another reason why they are making so many 360 games, because they are easier to do with UE3)  this tools are specifically good for porting.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

With the Crystal Tools system... Porting, if full effort is put in, sounds as it should be quick and not another painful and drawn out process.

flames_of - "I think you're confusing Bush with Chuck Norris."

Wii: 80-85 Million end of 2009 (1.1.09)