By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - More good Blu-ray news

Fuzzmosis said:
How is buying a used game any different than theft with that being your perspective?

Because pirated is the loss of possible revenue. 1 game created 100 sales. Thus, 99 sales lost.

One used it is still 1 game created 1 sale. no loss. The original owner is not using the game anymore therefore only one user per copy.

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
The good news is that Fox is going to support Blu Ray now because of this new security feature. Do you people read the bold parts or not? Movie studios like this move and they don't like that HD DVD doesn't have this feature.

I think most people understand that this means more support for Blu-ray. That doesn't mean we have to be happy about it.

And I agree w/ superchunk, pirating is not at all the same thing as buying used. If 1000 people want to play a game, and 500 of them buy it, and enough of them are willing to make copies for their friends, then 500 copies get made and everyone plays. On the other hand, if 500 people buy it and no one is able to copy it, then the other 500 people either have to buy it used or new. Not all of the 500 original buyers will be willing to sell their game, which means more sales will be generated.

I'd like to point out that it is entirely possible to be against DRM and against piracy.  It makes sense, even -- because of pirates, law-abiding citizens have to put up with this DRM crap to play their stuff.

"I'd like to point out that it is entirely possible to be against DRM and against piracy.  It makes sense, even -- because of pirates, law-abiding citizens have to put up with this DRM crap to play their stuff."

Totally agree...  When I buy a movie or music...  All I want is the movie and the music... 

So, essentially you're telling me it's only a difference of scale then.

That one used game = 1 less sale (Most likely) and piracy = 500 less sales.

Still doesn't really justify it in the case that piracy would only = 1 sale. And if we're looking at a realistic perspective, more people buy used that pirate, so those people are actually just costing the producers more money than those who say Yarr.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Fuzzmosis your arguments are dumb as rocks.

"By many of your definitions, piracy is wrong because you're not providing income to those who created the game, however for any pirated copy to exist, money had to be made to at least buy one copy (Unless they shoplifted etc). How is buying a used game any different than theft with that being your perspective?"

So, ok. Let's say I go out and buy Command and Conquer 3, and then proceed to seed it in a torrent online. That goes to, oh, probably 500 people at least.

You're saying it's ok to take a disc image of Command and Conquer 3 from a torrent website, because 1 person paid for it? That's just stupid.

And buying used games is still bad for videogame companies...but not nearly as bad. I use GameFly and rent games a lot of the time...GameFly bought all the games it rents out, and I pay GameFly a monthly fee so they can continue doing so. Videogame companies won't make as much money as they would if everyone who used GameFly just paid full price and bought their own videogames...but it's a legitimate service...it's not that big of a deal to developers as piracy.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

I'd just like to say, that there hasn't been any anti piracy protection ever that has worked. Especially in the tech industry, everything gets cracked. If you say it can't be done, someone will do it just to prove they can.

Therefore, a successful business has to find some other way to protect their profits from piracy. Spending however much money developing a new DRM is going to do nothing to prevent piracy in the long run, it just means that it will cost the producer more money which gets passed on to the consumers, making everyone a little pissy =).

For example, look at music. The record labels have done everything in their power to restrict music, including randomly suing people to try and scare the rest from doing it. Nothing worked, and now music is being sold without DRM's because they finally realised it doesn't work anyway. Sony's rootkit fiasco is a perfect example of their efforts backfiring.

Btw, I don't condone movie or software piracy. The only software I've ever pirated was windows XP, and technically I didn't pirate it, I just wasn't willing to shell out for three seperate copies just because I own three computers. Microsoft will survive I'm sure. I also don't download pirated music, however that is one industry I don't consider it wrong, because in my opinion the record labels are thieving bastards already. I support my favorite artists by attending concerts, not by buying cd's that cost the label pennies to make and distribute. Internet radio is a wonderful thing (damn you pandora, give me back my radio in Canada!)

edit: I'm also pissy because at least in canada, there is a surcharge on every blank cd/dvd that gets sold that goes strait to the music labels because I "might" use them to steal music.  What a load of crap...they're even trying to force a surcharge on mp3 players and other devices with hard drives for the same reason (if they haven't managed it yet).

Ya...I have no problem screwing over a few bastards in the music industry...it's the movie and especially game industry where piracy is very bad...

Stretching an XP disc isn't so bad I'd say either...Microsoft doesn't that much money hehe.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )