By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - More good Blu-ray news

footbag said:
Tispower said:
footbag said:
How is DRM good news for us?

Less piracy, meaning lower prices

How much less can we expect the prices of BD+ discs to be?

I'll answer this myself... they won't be less. And hackers will still break it and all of the expenses will be passed on to the consumer. I don't mind copy protection. Artists have a right to their works. But don't try to sell copy protection as a great feature of Bluray.

I guarantee prices will drop if BD gets popular.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
Blue3 said:
omgwtfbbq said:
Blue3 said:
omgwtfbbq said:
ckmlb said:
omgwtfbbq said:
wtf?

These companies are eroding your rights and you are calling this GOOD news? Out of some crazy Sony loyalty I assume? You guys are nuts!

It's good news for Sony... Eroding my right to what exactly?

your rights to actually own your media. Your rights to use what you pay for for whatever you want. Your right to get what you pay for.

More specifically, your rights to make a legal backup of your media. Your rights to watch/listen to media on any software/hardware/products rather than just those that Company X approves. Your right to an open source implementation of your media player. The right to know that you don't have spyware/rootkits installed on your computer.

These are just some of the rights you are cheering the removal of.

how about the right of intelligence.

You know it has DRM, you know what to expect. Using ignorance as an excuse to later on whine about it is pathetic.

What the hell is your point? I'm serious here, I don't really understand what you're saying about "right of intelligence". Are you insinuating that I am unintelligent because I think it's ridiculous to cheer people attempting to take away your rights? Basically, would it be unintelligent for me to argue with someone who says "Good news everybody! The American Government has taken away the population's right to free speech! Now they can put people they don't like in jail and then they'll be able to increase productivity through fear!". I'm sorry I can't cheer the removal of rights.

I know it has DRM, that's why I don't buy anything with DRM. Most people are ignorant, and purchase it anyway, meaning that it becomes the standard format and the only way I can get "unprotected" movies is by pirating them. I'm not using ignorance later to whine about it. I am saying now BEFORE people buy into this crap that they shouldn't. It appears YOU'RE the one that purchased into this technology, so you'll be the one bitching later when you get bitten in the arse by it.

Since you clearly know about the pitfalls, then you're the one who appears to be lacking intelligence from my side.

Its their product, they can add what ever the hell they want. They can make what ever they want, they can put any restricions they want on it.

If customers dont like it they wont buy it and it will fail, forcing them to change it.

They sure as hell are not taking away any of your rights, its YOUR choice to buy it or not. A person buying means they agree and accpet the terms of the product.

how would it bite me in the ass, i cant copy it ?

That's why I'm sticking to standard DVDs for now.  As long as I still have another option to get the same content, then your right, I don't have to buy it.  When the studios eventually stop putting content onto standard DVDs, then there will be an issue for me.  

Heres where i stand:

on music= even though people may not buy a certain artist's album from a store, the vast majority of the individuals whom like the music will support the artist when they go on tour. which makes money for all parties in the music biz.

on movies and games: alot of money and time was put into the entertaining product you either see in the box office or on the store shelves. to cheat the creators and parties involved is wrong. they dont go on tour like musicians do to make money, they go to promote their product in hopes that you'll purchase it so they can make the money they invested in it back. the more people pirate these two forms of entertainment the worse off these art forms will be. forcing companies into financial trouble and then shutting down. selling their art by way of ticket sales and personal purchases is the only way they get paid. if we want to continue to recieve the high quality of entertainment we are acustomed to we'll support them by purchasing their product not stealing it.

PSN ID: cgnobody

Xbox Gamertag: cgnobodyX

Wii friend code: 1445-3731-4393-2518

BenKenobi88 said:
footbag said:
Tispower said:
footbag said:

I'll answer this myself... they won't be less. And hackers will still break it and all of the expenses will be passed on to the consumer. I don't mind copy protection. Artists have a right to their works. But don't try to sell copy protection as a great feature of Bluray.

If Bluray get popular of course the prices will drop.  Is this because of the BD+ DRM?  No.  In fact the DRM is a new expense that will have to be covered.  

Consumers don't consider DRM a selling feature.

footbag said:
BenKenobi88 said:
footbag said:
Tispower said:
footbag said:

If Bluray get popular of course the prices will drop. Is this because of the BD+ DRM? No. In fact the DRM is a new expense that will have to be covered.

No, but the movie companies do. And so more backing from them, is better for Blu-Ray.

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

Around the Network
footbag said:

If Bluray get popular of course the prices will drop. Is this because of the BD+ DRM? No. In fact the DRM is a new expense that will have to be covered.

Exactly.  Someone please point me to a press release from any major label that says "Studies show DRM is working, piracy is down, so we're passing on the savings by lowering our prices!"  I'm sorry, but it's never going to happen. 

It all sounds like a non-issue to me.

Just because I'm bored and somehow or another you people got on right to pirate (Which really is illegal. If you can deal with that, fine, if you can't, well, don't. Musicians make their money from tours, movies still have people going to theatres and overpriced DVDs, and game makers tend to be paid a flat rate for their services on the game, fewer will be made if it's entirely pirated though)

By many of your definitions, piracy is wrong because you're not providing income to those who created the game, however for any pirated copy to exist, money had to be made to at least buy one copy (Unless they shoplifted etc). How is buying a used game any different than theft with that being your perspective?

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

The only point I dislike is the idea that the disc can control some feature on my hardware. That should be illegal and is the same mistake sony made with thier rootkits on their music cd's.

The good news is that Fox is going to support Blu Ray now because of this new security feature. Do you people read the bold parts or not? Movie studios like this move and they don't like that HD DVD doesn't have this feature.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!