By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's E3 furthers N's commitment to destroying the industry

DTG: Okay; please refer me to a critical analysis of MGS2 (or, heck, any MGS game) that portrays the supposedly deep, mature themes running undercurrent in the game - preferably with reference to specific plot points, events, and characters that relate to other pieces of high art from whatever medium, and with analysis that takes into account at least one major, specific school of thought in reference to art interpretation. Or, if you can't find one, then write one yourself. I'm very interested to see this.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
Aiemond said:
I bet we will see some more stuff at TGS.

Nintendo doesnt go to TGS

*rae* Since when? I know they didn't make a presentation once or twice during GC days, but normally TGS is a huge event for Nintendo.

Ssyn said:

You all are a bunch of ignorant dumbfucks, his OP isn't making games funs = bad. It's that they focused on pure party games and nothing else this E3(shows the company's direction and party games don't have epic storylines longtime gamers will always remember). Even though this was obvious and I thought they did a fine job due to my expectations.

EDIT: SSJ12 beat me to it

Lol, well again, sorry for you too, but since you think that games are just for Epic storylines and no one esle can enjoy a fun game, like the good old tetris and packman, I can´t take you seriouly either... grow up...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
ssj12 said:
Aiemond said:

I got owned. I thought they had another conference or am I wrong again? Anyways, I do disagree that mario party is for a different type of gamer. I play zelda, ff, mgs, and fps games yet when I have friends over (that have been playing games since we were in elementry school in the early 90s) we like to play mario party too. I think it is a different game but i think gamers enjoy it too. But, the earlier ones were better.

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS

tombi123 said:
Well Nintendo's press conference did suck. Where was Zelda, where was Kid Icarus, where the f*ck was Pikmin? Instead we got 'casual' crap. If that is all Nintendo's announcements, then they have abandoned the hardcore, and the people who kept them alive in the GameCube era.

Uh, those were all Internet rumors. If you're expecting Nintendo to substantiate what a bunch of dinks on a message board say, then maybe you need to take the advice in my sig.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network
bardicverse said:
ssj12 said:
Aiemond said:

*rae* Since when? I know they didn't make a presentation once or twice during GC days, but normally TGS is a huge event for Nintendo.

Theres still E for All....

Former something....

azrm2k said:
ssj12 said:
I think you people are missing his argument.

He is stating Nintendo is throwing away Zelda and Mario Platformer gamers for Mario Party, Wii Music, Wii Sports, and mini-game players.

That's not his argument at all.  No need to turn this into a "Nintendo is abandoning the core gamer".  He is talking about Nintendo ruining the industry by not striving for his own "cultured" artistic ideals.  You can't honestly tell me Super Mario 64 would qualify under that, can you? 

If he honestly responds and agrees that Super Mario Sunshine has the "artistic merit" he was speaking of then an argument could be made that this is moreso about the Wii's shift from Nintendo's older style.

Ya, Mario 64 does have artistic qualities. Most games do. Even COD: World at War does. Art doesnt have to be Okami. Art can be a 3 year old making her first finger painting or for a 5 year old a brush painting.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

tombi123 said:
Well Nintendo's press conference did suck. Where was Zelda, where was Kid Icarus, where the f*ck was Pikmin? Instead we got 'casual' crap. If that is all Nintendo's announcements, then they have abandoned the hardcore, and the people who kept them alive in the GameCube era.

They didn't focus on core games but they were there.  SW:Clone Wars wouldn't be considered casual on any other system.  COD5 is obviously not a party game.  SW:Snowboarding is multiplat so I guess the 360/PS3 also get shovelware!

Reggie even said the Mario and Zelda teams were hard at work but unlike other companies they didn't want to hype us up for a game releasing in 2010.

Yeah for us the press conference sucked but Nintendo knows we'll be reading mags and IGN and we'll see coverage of core games shown after the conference.  This was for the mainstream press who will watch Sony's press conference and fly home.  They get to write about Nintendo's success and the next big mainstream hit.

I don't mind the focus on fun, but other than COD and GTA:DS (which is going to be horrible), everything was focused on 4 year olds. Maybe 5 year olds. Wii music where you don't even have to hit any buttons? Are you kidding?

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

ssj12 said:

Ya, Mario 64 does have artistic qualities. Most games do. Even COD: World at War does. Art doesnt have to be Okami. Art can be a 3 year old making her first finger painting or for a 5 year old a brush painting.

You're confusing his argument.  He wasn't implying artistic styles as in visual styles.  He was talking about artistic merits as in thought provoking stories which last I checked hasn't been Mario's forte. 

Why else would he bring up Dostoyevski or Hitchcock?