By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I believe that one of the "HD twins" are going to crash and burn in sales

@ssj12, you would be a fool to assume that both sony, and nintendo do not also have consoles in pre-production.

though i do doubt we will see another console till 2012 at earliest i favor 2015 as the start date for the next gen givin development time. the even spread of software sales with all parties looking to make good money. starting sometime next year sony (by summer 09) should turn hardware profits.

it does not benifit any of the makers to switch too soon and loose a cash cow. further I belive if they change systems before 2012 they will dreamcast (I did love the dreamcast, but to many systems by sega too soon hurt it out of the gate) their system devs will abandon it and it will suffer a slow death.

Now thats not to say that no one will offer revisions to current hardware, that almost obviousl will happen

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Around the Network
goddog said:
@kenny, um just because the wii mainly caters to new casual gamers, it can not have core gamers? the industry is growing, true costs are up. the big thing that needs to happen though for games is more tie ins to distribue costs much like movies. toys, and such. halo series is a good example books, toys, in the end meals and soda. the other thing that needs help is turn around time, or rather better control of expected release date vs actual, if they keep it under wraps till 6 months out at most it should help the image of the industry for uneasy new investors. though i will say mgs4 turned the wait into a gain with the super front heavy sales.

Actually, I was suggesting that the first conlusion was the proper one; as far as I can tell, the industry is doing pretty well.  The point was that one cannot simply discount the Wii outright as a whole separate market, because the logical conclusion would point to a nonexistent crisis.  Of course, the high cost of development is still there, but that's a whole other issue in itself.

Super World Cup Fighter II: Championship 2010 Edition

oh great, another mindless "nintendo is so great lololololol" thread.

the truth is no company is going away anywhere soon.

It all depends "10 years from now, mind you." if apple launches a console. 3 consoles can co-exist, but 4 certainly as hell can't.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Have to agree there the old gen console players are a shrinking market Sony and MS are fighting really hard over a smaller and smaller market.
Wii simply targets and appeals to everyone including the old gen gamers ( thumbstick controllers) and it taking a clean sweep.
PS3 makes a good Blu-ray player - and the X360 has reached critical mass in the US so both of them are doing ok still.

PS3 number 1 fan

Kenny said:
goddog said:
@kenny, um just because the wii mainly caters to new casual gamers, it can not have core gamers? the industry is growing, true costs are up. the big thing that needs to happen though for games is more tie ins to distribue costs much like movies. toys, and such. halo series is a good example books, toys, in the end meals and soda. the other thing that needs help is turn around time, or rather better control of expected release date vs actual, if they keep it under wraps till 6 months out at most it should help the image of the industry for uneasy new investors. though i will say mgs4 turned the wait into a gain with the super front heavy sales.

Actually, I was suggesting that the first conlusion was the proper one; as far as I can tell, the industry is doing pretty well.  The point was that one cannot simply discount the Wii outright as a whole separate market, because the logical conclusion would point to a nonexistent crisis.  Of course, the high cost of development is still there, but that's a whole other issue in itself.

But those core gamers aren't being "converted" to casual gamers by the act of buying a Wii. There were millions of gamers who bought Nintendo systems long before Nintendo was the casual company it's become, and they're still buying. The Wii still holds some appeal to core gamers (myself included) just as the PS3/360 have a bit of appeal for the casual crowd with things like Rock Band.

When I said that non-gamers rather than core gamers are being converted, I was referring to what's driving the Wii's expansion. The unprecedented sales numbers of the Wii are coming from outside of traditional markets, and I don't think it means the old gamers are becoming less interested in the games they used to be.

Around the Network

no, it won't happen this like like in did with the ps2.... there is not a ps2 this generation
ps2 a console that pretty much had 70% of the market share.

xbox360 have been sellling more than xbox and holdin around 30% of the market
ps3 is also selling pretty much more than the gamecube. holding more than 20% of the marketshare

and and the wii will likely end up around just 50%, yes, thats a win, but not as phenomenal as the ps2 had 70%+.

Necro Level

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

How things were different in that time... makes me wonder how it is gonna be in the next generations

We reap what we sow