By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How much powerful the Wii is ?

like a great man said "I can tell you the technical specs of the wii, but they really dont matter"

Around the Network

Thanks Viper. All it took was a quick site search, but most people are too lazy. :)

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

fazz said:

I was kidding Sky Render but I've seen people in this forum do that statement seriously.

In reality, is hard to measure. If we are talking about pure, raw, processing power, the PS2 crushes the GC, Xbox, Wii and wouldn't feel ashamed side to side to the 360.

But if we are talking about resulting visuals, the image would be something (read, not exactly, because you can't really measure that) like this. The number representing the "prettiness" that can be achieved:

PS2 - 10
GC - 25
Xbox - 30
Wii - 70
PS3 - 300
X360 - 350
PC - 1000

And thanks thekitchensink, it's good to see people recognizes me ^o^

PC's power level isn't over 9000. Disappointing.

If you wanted a PCs power level in that kind of chart to be over 9000 I guess you get get dual quad core processors, dual video cards (not sure which is more powerful, nvidia 280 or ati 48xx [or whatever number they are]) along with 8 gb of ram. That ought to be able to run even Crysis at everything full. Also expect to be paying a lot of money in for your electric bill every month.

edit: As for how powerful the Wii, more powerful than the previous gen, not nearly as powerful as the ps3/360.  It could make 1080p games, but there probably wouldn't be much going on and without hd output you wouldn't be able to see it.

Mint said:

360 has been clocked at 3.2 GHz CPU
PS3 has been clocked at 3.2 GHz CPU
xBox has been clocked at 733 MHz CPU
Wii has been clocked at 729 MHz CPU
GC has been clocked at 485 MHz CPU
PS2 has been clocked at 294 MHz CPU
DC has been clocked at 200 MHz CPU

360 has 512 MB of RAM

PS3 has 256 MB of RAM

Wii has 88 MB of RAM

xBox has 64 MB of RAM

GC has 43 MB of RAM

PS2 has 32 MB of RAM

DC has 16 MB of RAM

This is just CPU speeds and RAM, not taking GPU, or everything else in account.

But it does show whats more powerfull.

Misleading considering the 360 shares its RAM with GPU. PS3 has the same amount of RAM, it's just not shared. It is split 256/256. I think it's fairly clear that the Wii is as powerful as the Xbox. Many developers have confirmed this and we've known this for over a year now.

Around the Network
Smeags said:
fazz said:

I was kidding Sky Render but I've seen people in this forum do that statement seriously.

In reality, is hard to measure. If we are talking about pure, raw, processing power, the PS2 crushes the GC, Xbox, Wii and wouldn't feel ashamed side to side to the 360.

But if we are talking about resulting visuals, the image would be something (read, not exactly, because you can't really measure that) like this. The number representing the "prettiness" that can be achieved:

PS2 - 10
GC - 25
Xbox - 30
Wii - 70
PS3 - 300
X360 - 350
PC - 1000

And thanks thekitchensink, it's good to see people recognizes me ^o^

PC's power level isn't over 9000. Disappointing.

Yeah but wait until it reaches super saiyan level 3 then it will reach well above 9000.. ;)

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Not familiar with the tech specifics, but I can tell this: 

The Twilight Princess offered an enormous adventure in gameplay with many different styles and things to do while the Assasin's Creed with the HD graphics offered the same-pattern of gameplay copy/pasted in various settings. So you cannot actually judge a game by its' graphics. It's the brains and deep knowledge of gaming that make a title trully exceptional and unique.

Master Mii Artisan 

cpu SHRUNK SLIGHTLY UPGRADED GEKKO PLUS LATEST SILICON ON INSULATOR TECH 2006/07 IBM MANUFACTURING PROCESS 729MHZ

GPU SHRUNK UPGRADED FLIPPER HOLLYWOOD GPU 243MHZ EXACTLY 1/3RD RATIO BETWEEN CPU GPU SAME AS GAMECUBE
NEW 1T SRAM- R DIE EMBEDDED FAST RAM UPGRADE ON GAMECUBES RAM 4GB BANDWIDTH

EXTERNAL RAM GDDR3 DUAL DATA DRAM ALSO 4GB BANDWIDTH

WII MAIN RAM 88MB 4GB X 2 = 8 GB BANDWIDTH

GAMECUBE 24MB MAIN RAM 2.6 GB BANDWIDTH

MASSIVE DIFFERANCE IN GAMECUBE TERMS 480P DISPLAY TERMS NO HD SUPPORT SO NO NEED FOR LARGE RAM

6TO1 TEXTURE COMPRESSION IN HARDWARE

4TO1 AND 2TO1 DATA COMPRESSION IN HARDWARE
ULTRA FAST SRAM LIKE MEMORY SPEED

1TSRAM CAN FEED CPU AND GPU DIRECTLY

GDDR3 RAM CAN FEED CPU GPU SOUND CHIP AND 1TSRAM POOL DIRECTLY AT FULL SYSTEM BUS SPEED

HIGH SPEED CUSTOM GAMES DISC FOR FAST LOADING STREAMING OF COMPRESED DATA TEXTURES

ACCESSABLE FLASH RAM AS ACCESS RAM

GPU CATCH BANDWIDTH AROUND 28GB BANDWIDTH 4X IF NOT MORE XBOX XGPU

CPU HAS CUSTOM COMPRESSION 4X PLUS INTERNAL EXTERNAL DATA BANDWIDTHS OF XCPU IN XBOX 1

WII SYSTEM BUS 243MHZ PLUS PEAK COMPRESSION 4TO1 = NEAR 8 GB BANDWIDTH PEAK

XBOX 1 133MHZ NO COMPRESSION TRICKS 1GB BANDWIDTH

EFFECTIVE SYSTEM BANDWIDTHS ARE PLUS 4X XBOX 1 EASY NO SWEAT

SYSTEM LATENCY ACTUAL DATA FLOW SPEED OF RAM ETC 10 X FASTER THAN XBOX 1 50 NS VS SAY 5 NS LATENCY

WII= 2.5 GAMECUBE XBOX LEVEL MACHINE AS NINTENDO STATED AT E3 2005 BEFORE THE CONTROLLER WAS SHOWN THEY MADE THAT STATMENT THEN WENT QUIT AS IF TO SAY THATS HOW POWERFUL IT IS WE ARE SAYING NO MORE

WII RAM IS 3.5 X MORE EFFECTIVE THAN GAMECUBES AT LEAST AND CHIP SET IS PUSHING 2X GAMECUBE SO 2.5 X AS POWERFUL MAKES SENSE

DISC SPACE IS 6 X GAMECUBES MINI DISC SO MASSIVE GAMES ON A SINGLE DISC LIKE BLURAY ARE CAPABLE CAPPED 480P AND COMPRESSI0ON =MASSIVE GAMES ON DISC

CUSTOM HIGH SPEED BALANCED SET UP HELPS GET RID OF LOADSPEDD ISSUES

WII IS SIMPLY A NON HD X360 LEVEL MACHINE AND GAMES AT E3 2008 WILL PROVE THAT

wii ram
3mb edram gpu high bandwidth graphics catch 3mb 1tsram-r edram 243mhz

24mb gpu die embedded 1tsram-r @486mhz– 2x 243mhz bus and gpu

cpu 256k level 2 catch

external main ram 64mb gddr3 32bit dual data 486mhz clock effective

additional flash memory as virtual ram or drive or access ram

3mb edram=28gb bandwidth not counting compression

24mb 1tsram-r = 4gb bandwidth not counting compression

64mb gddr3 ram= 4gb bandwidth not counting compression

1tsram-r feeds gpu and cpu directly

gddr3 feeds gpu cpu and sound chip directly can also feed 1tsram-r directly as high bandwidth access ram just like gamecubes access ram could

custom data compression on th fly real time decompression

custom texture compression on the fly real time decompression

sound compression video compression etc

disc 8gb peak data storage not counting compression gamecubes mini disc 1.5 gb storage not counting compression

The Wii is about as powerful as the original Xbox. But that's not a total diss, the XBox was VERY powerful for its time.

Leetgeek said:
The Wii is about as powerful as the original Xbox. But that's not a total diss, the XBox was VERY powerful for its time.

It's more powerful. People just refuse to see that because they see the processor speeds and think that's the only measurement. The speed of the Xbox was based on tech from 8 years ago. The Wii is based on tech from two years ago. So it can do a lot more in those same processor cycles than the Xbox.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs