By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Eurogamer: Unreal Tournament III performance 360 > PS3

Fishie said:
davygee said:

Okay, here we go:

1. Epic stated that UT3 was doing more on the PS3 than Gears was on the 360.
  2. Epic have been working on the 360 using UE for 3/4 years now and it is to be expected that they can get the best out of UE on the 360 compared to the 2 years of development on the PS3.
  3. 360 UT3 comes out 7/8 months later than the PS3 version, so it is to be expected that Epic can do more with it now.

All in all, it is to be expected.  I would be worried if UT3 was the same or not as good as the PS3 version seeing the later release...add to this, that Epic need to spin a little positivity on the released of UT3, seeing as nobody really cares about it now.

Funny considering they showed the engine on PS3 well over 3 years ago.

You're not supposed to point out that ... Most PS3 fans are unwilling to accept that most of the best 3D engine programmers have had the PS3 hardware for 2 to 3 years by now, and have devoted high quality teams to maximize performance towards the PS3 build.

Now, they're correct in that most dedicated developers seem to get better performance out of the PS3 but (in my opinion) that is far more likely the result of being able to customize the underlying engine towards the requirements of the game than because of the PS3's capabilities; basically, certain design decisions that have to be made when you're producing a generic solution (like a licenced 3D game engine) end up being less efficient at some things than something which was designed specifically too solve that problem.

Around the Network
kingofwale said:
In order to save hardcore gaming.... MUST buy UTIII for xbox 360

EUROGamer has SPOKEN!!!

If you're referring to what I think you are, you just unlocked the achievement of "Knee-jerk reaction".

That was Edge, not Eurogamer...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

@NJ5, it's not hurting Sony at all though. It USED to hurt Sony a ton, but that was before the damn thing worked on the PS3 :P It run's just fine and even some companies that use the engine can get better results off the PS3, but it requires the dedicated effort, and in sheer number of "exclusive" titles that have been made on each system, the 360's obviously got the hands down win for time and resources put into dedicated hardware. Even epic themselves is now working on they're 3rd game for the hardware, whereas they've had 1 game on the PS3. If the Unreal engine didn't work better on the system that's seen more games using it, which is easier to use, which has been out longer, I'd be very, VERY concerned.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

ChronotriggerJM said:
@NJ5, it's not hurting Sony at all though. It USED to hurt Sony a ton, but that was before the damn thing worked on the PS3 :P It run's just fine and even some companies that use the engine can get better results off the PS3, but it requires the dedicated effort, and in sheer number of "exclusive" titles that have been made on each system, the 360's obviously got the hands down win for time and resources put into dedicated hardware. Even epic themselves is now working on they're 3rd game for the hardware, whereas they've had 1 game on the PS3. If the Unreal engine didn't work better on the system that's seen more games using it, which is easier to use, which has been out longer, I'd be very, VERY concerned.

When I wrote that I was thinking of the Square Enix game which got delayed for the PS3, according to them due to problems with UE3 (which seem to be solved now). Whether new PS3 UE3 games will stand up to the 360 versions of the same games remains an open question.

kingofwale said:

EUROGamer has SPOKEN!!!

Again that was EDGE magazine.

You guys seem really good at making up shit so it fits your fanboy agenda and you can hapilly go on ignoring a site or mag because of something they never said in the first place.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
kingofwale said:

EUROGamer has SPOKEN!!!

If you're referring to what I think you are, you just unlocked the achievement of "Knee-jerk reaction".

really? Well, my apolgies, it's hard to distinguish those two, being the only 2 reviews giving MGS4 an ridiculous subpar review and all. ;)

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Q_A_X said:
thekitchensink said:
This isn't so surprising, as it came out so much later, but it's a prime example of how the 360 is still capable of being graphically competitive.

The 360 will not be able to compete with Killzone 2.

You are funny, you make me laugh.

kingofwale said:
NJ5 said:
kingofwale said:

EUROGamer has SPOKEN!!!

really? Well, my apolgies, it's hard to distinguish those two, being the only 2 reviews giving MGS4 an ridiculous subpar review and all. ;)

Really?

I figured both were too soft on the experience(I dare not call it a game)

kingofwale said:
NJ5 said:
kingofwale said:

EUROGamer has SPOKEN!!!

A reviewer has a different opinion from other reviewers and some forum members! Quick, someone call the SDF police!

@NJ5 very true, and I think Sony should continue to assist them with optimization techniques personally. They got it running on PS3 hardware, but if Epic's not making any games directly on the PS3, they have little need to research the tricks of the trade so to speak. I've seen what the PS3 is capable of and the UE3 engine is not it's peak at all. But back on topic, if THIS installment of UT3 wasn't more polished, there would be some need for concern :x

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.