By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Eurogamer: Unreal Tournament III performance 360 > PS3

they also gave MGS 8/10 i believe....

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
WhiteDevil said:
long time in development... enuff said

360 us basically a PC on the inside so it is easy for a formally PC only developer to develop for.

Oh really?

How many PC`s out there have a Tricore PowerPC processor?

MikeB said:
Goddbless said:
johnsobas said:
yea it is more than likely due to longer development time, but when a game comes out later on PS3 and it's better many people say they are using the PS3's power.

I guess because they all think the 360 was maxed out with Gears 1.

That's actually what Epic claimed when they released Gears of War, but IMO their claims should be taken with a grain of salt. They also claimed Gears couldn't be done on the PS3, we all know that's not very honest for them to claim.

They never claimed that.

ChronotriggerJM said:
Well yeah, I didn't mean fully maxing the PS3 :P Just intelligent use of the SPE's and what not. UT3 could be a million times better than what it currently is if it was taking full advantage of the architecture. Hell they're just now getting around to "thousands of on-screen enemies"... Heavenly sword did that a long ass time ago >_>; They've increased the draw distances.. like Insomniac's been doing since the PS2 days... TOD is proof of that pudding.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that so far UE3.whatever they're on now seems to be the most impressive engine on the 360, the "best looking gaems and enemii count" blah blah blah comes from UE3. Whereas on the PS3, that's definitely not the case >_>; UE3 is playing catchup with other companies for tech superiority in engine design. And that's proof enough that optimized for PS3, means obviously not optimized enough. Compatible yes, optimized... far from :/

Other companies have engines which are more optimized for the PS3, but are those companies licensing their engine? Are their engines flexible enough to be easily used to make new games?

I'm not asking those as rhetorical questions. I just haven't heard of any PS3 engine being widely used outside the company it was made at.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

davygee said:

Okay, here we go:

1. Epic stated that UT3 was doing more on the PS3 than Gears was on the 360.
  2. Epic have been working on the 360 using UE for 3/4 years now and it is to be expected that they can get the best out of UE on the 360 compared to the 2 years of development on the PS3.
  3. 360 UT3 comes out 7/8 months later than the PS3 version, so it is to be expected that Epic can do more with it now.

All in all, it is to be expected.  I would be worried if UT3 was the same or not as good as the PS3 version seeing the later release...add to this, that Epic need to spin a little positivity on the released of UT3, seeing as nobody really cares about it now.

Funny considering they showed the engine on PS3 well over 3 years ago.

Around the Network

@NJ5 No your definitely right, most of the "optimized" engines are all in-house and company owned. I'm not expecting it to be as nice because they're on dedicated hardware. But that goes back to my point that even though it can't play to the strengths of the PS3, it's still the best engine on the market for the 360. It has to stay multi-plat, and in terms of ease of use, the 360 takes the cake hands down over the PS3. The UE3 engine MUST perform better, at least for now. The PS3 hardware is very complicated :/ but should the resources be allocated, you can instantly see the effects. The UE3 engine just seems much better suited to the 360. And considering the exclusive titles that have used the engine on the 360, I would certainly expect it to out-perform it's weirdly built competitor.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

@ChronotriggerJM: If that's true, it's something which will continue to hurt the PS3. There should be a well documented, optimized and flexible engine for PS3 development, otherwise many developers will continue using UE3. Even companies which have their own engines are using UE3 (such as DICE, Square Enix...).

Sony already helped Epic with optimization, probably to mitigate tihs problem a bit, time will tell if that was enough. Maybe the design of the engine just doesn't lend itself well to PS3's architecture. All in all, something which Sony must have known when designing the PS3 the way they did. Good engines don't fall from the sky.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

PooperScooper said:
whatever said:
Its really hard to take Eurogamer seriously.

aren't they the ones that said without MS hardcore gaming would be dead?

Yeah read my above post.

That was EDGE magazine

In order to save hardcore gaming.... MUST buy UTIII for xbox 360

EUROGamer has SPOKEN!!!

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
thekitchensink said:
This isn't so surprising, as it came out so much later, but it's a prime example of how the 360 is still capable of being graphically competitive.

The 360 will not be able to compete with Killzone 2.

MGS4!