By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Most pathetic sales predictions you have heard?

SpeedBreaker said:
Halo would kill the PS3
Gears would kill the PS3
Wiifit outsell PS3, Halo3 outsells PS3.
MGS4 being a flop, Wii sells 100 million like PS2, HD DVD kills Blu-ray

Sony DOOMSday in 2008.

End of 08 Sales:

Wii:30 Million 

My picks would be the endless notions of some Wii sales collapse that will occur at (Current Date) + 1 year, the notion that the PS3 is dying and/or won't get multiplatform games with 360, the argument that PC Gaming is dying (again!), and many of John Lucas' loopy "the Wii shall dominate the earth" predictions.

Most of these aren't pathetic, they're just silly. I'd do a thread title change if I could.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

The most "pathetic" predictions were those that were produced by professional analysts in 2006 and 2007 ... When someone is paid to understand the market and demonstrate no knowledge of it, it is pretty pathetic

RolStoppable said:
HappySqurriel said:

The most "pathetic" predictions were those that were produced by professional analysts in 2006 and 2007 ... When someone is paid to understand the market and demonstrate no knowledge of it, it is pretty pathetic

Indeed. As far as I recall, before the Wii launched, the most optimistic prediction for total lifetime sales was 30m.

My favorite was still the "Wii will win this generation" April Fool's joke by GS.  It seemed so ridiculous and laughable that they made an April Fool's joke out of it!  That article also gave us the "Game are meant to be one thing - fun" line as a joke.

RolStoppable said:
HappySqurriel said:

Indeed. As far as I recall, before the Wii launched, the most optimistic prediction for total lifetime sales was 30m.

And I'm sure all those people who predicted 30m are now high fiving each other until someone asks "Hey wait: you mean they're still going to keep making these things?"

RolStoppable said:
azrm2k said:
greenmedic88 said:
The 60 million units for the Wii by end of 2008 John Lucas prediction sticks out most in my mind as the most absurd prediction.

It will most likely go on to be the least accurate prediction for the Wii on this site, even less than the equally absurd 30 million units sold considering the final tally will be under 45 million (closer to 43m), with a 2.4m/month production rate.

Predictions explaining inflated numbers by claiming production will be increased to 3m/month in 2008 also get a booby prize.

JL's prediction was absurd I agree as I already mentioned it, but it will definitely not go on to be the least accurate prediction, not even close.

Part of the problem with JL predictions (other than the fact that many of them like the MGS4 not coming to PS3 have been horrendously wrong) is that he likes to go over the top and announces his predictions to the masses which sets himself up to be remembered when he is horribly wrong. For every JL prediction there are several other much worse predictions that are just placed in sigs without fanfare or posted in some random thread and forgotten so nobody gets called out on them.

Heck JL's prediction won't be the most inaccurate optimistic Wii prediction as AT's Wii will outsell the PS family still holds that crown. And honorable mention goes to Sqrl's "SMG outselling SMB" which for some time he boasted of in his sig as the most outlandish prediction.

John Lucas predicted 500m Wiis will be sold, that's a higher number than AT's.

Avinashi Tyaki (Tyagi?) predicted 750 million at one point.

Of course JL expected 500 million, so maybe he had a ceiling even higher (he thought 250 million was the minimum and 500 was where he thought it would end)

Around the Network

750 million is awesome. That would be about one for every ten people in the world by the time this fantasy supposedly comes true.

mrstickball said:
Didn't a certain JohnLucas say 60m Wiis by the end of '08?

That was pathetic, as are most of the predictions in your sig.

whatever said:
mrstickball said:
Didn't a certain JohnLucas say 60m Wiis by the end of '08?

That was pathetic, as are most of the predictions in your sig.

Care to cite some of your own predictions from 1-2 years ago then?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

THIS:

"The Wii will have at least tripled the combined sales of the 360 and PS3 once all three systems have stopped selling."

^_^

MANUELF said:
GTAIV kill the Wii

this.