By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Malstrom article - Secret to the “Casual”

@Plaupius

Happy to be of service, I'm open twenty-four hours a day seven days a week. ;)

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Around the Network

this article was awesome..he really explains everything

:Tutorial= if someone neeads a tutorial to understand the game, the game sucks..
everyone knows to swing the wiimote to use link's sword...people don't know they HAVE to press button '1' to execute action 'b' and press button '4' while executing action 'b' to perform action 'f'

:Cinematics= people want to pull off those cool stunts.. they wanna be there.. look at RE4/Half Life 2 Portal...or short cinematics
if you hav too long cinematics (MGS4) where your character experiences things...it gets damned boring.
why? because I the PLAYER want to do those cool flips and attacks and jumps...not simply see them

:text= talking to someone once for items (Zelda) is fine really...but once you have to endure too much of it (FFIV and up, most RPGs) it gets boring
this is not to say the game fails in general..it fails to be a bestseller..obviously...it will only sell to the targeted market, not to the rest

:fun from minute1=Mario galaxy...I get to jump and perform all regular mario stunts and THEN the SHORT cinematic starts...
MGS2 already pissed me off playing it again...damnit....I don't get to play for 45 minutes

all in all..the fail or 'broken' that malstrom means is obviously: it won't sell, except to the target...wich sucks...since the target is shrinking ^^''

dib8rman said:
1. As far as "casuals" and "everyone" goes he's using them hand in hand - if Shakespeare wrote for everyone then he wrote for casuals. English is rule governed but for the purposes of information something understood is priceless compared to proper grammar. We can't argue (as much as I'd love to) for the mass because this text isn't on the market for the mass to decide.

However what he is saying holds enough water to be considered information.
A hard example of this would be in comparing: "The Dechronization of Sam Magruder" by (out of the many authors) George Gaylord Simpson (GGS) who writes many academic books which usually sell as expected though his numbers would pale to any book out of "Lord of the Rings" collection, of course written by J.R.R. Tolken but even his numbers when you take time into consideration pale compared to any Harry Potter (I want to include the author but I don't want to come off as being full of myself.)

By the by all of these books are of the same genre, the only difference is cost and release date. But all those books I believe (not including the collection just a single book of that collection) would be below $30 USD.

GGS writes very well however it's clear that he is aiming for a different audience from Tolken, that audience is much more niche - the consumer reacted properly and so he sold what he sold. Tolken's wordiness and the length of his breath made his books a chore - but compared the GGS his book is almost a cake walk, as you move into his writing you can understand the world your in and the nouns don't seem as abstract. Harry Potter places you in Harry's shoes and your on a pretty linear path of adventure and suspense.

The more you read a Harry Potter book the more obvious the writing similarities are with it and a Lord of the Rings the key difference is the ammount of each element that makes the story.

2. Your using words like refined and arrogant; when your talking about someones expression as not being refined then your saying that whoever appreciates his writing is unrefined as well as a person like yourself who is refined (not making a personal jot just making a point) can see right through him and point out where he needs to correct himself to appeal to that person (in this case yourself.) That is exactly what he is talking about with Hardcore versus Casual.

3. Like I said if you take into context everything this man has in his own little world - it makes total sense, he already notes that his news articles are very 'meh' as far as quality in the writing but tries to make up for it in the major articles as he spends more time on those. As far as Blue Ocean goes he's doing what he set out to do; Malstrom is about making money not teaching people who go to his site how to read or giving them the best english the internet can offer.

4. You've already addmited to being a writer who specializes in elitist texts I'm not certain if that was a disclaimer but as he's saying in all his examples and ironically in this artical that what your saying comes naturally. I don't dare claim I understand why - I'm not studied on that kind of stuff nor do I want to be - no interest you see.

The whole thing is funny really when you look back at our chat.

5. I'm actually worried now about my punctuation/spelling/grammar when I'm typing here. Your responses seem to nitpick at very specific idiums and make an arguement around it. Knowing myself I'll stay here all night and argue each one.

Kirby Time!!!!!! (>-.-)^ (>-.-)><(-.-<)^(-.-<)<(- . -)>(>-.-<)^(- . -)v v(- . -)^ | ^(0 . 0)^ <-- Stick em up kirby

What exactly is the point?  I read the first seven paragraghs, saw a guy talking out of his ass who hadn't made a point yet.

I'm not nitpicking yours (or my) grammar or punctuation.  Just mr. Fancypants style.

I am not arguing against his maint point.  I am saying he is bad writer, who mislabels himself as a casual writer.  If he doesn't even know enough to realize he is not a casual writer, then what the hell is he doing talking about definition of casual games.

Refined, doesn't mean fancy, it means reworked to make better.  In the case of his writing, he has not reworked it to make it better.  He free wrote into the editor, used spelling and grammar check, and posted.

He is arrogant, because he assumes that readersconsumers don't want a challenge.  He is arrogant because he uses unnecessarily smarter sounding words that don't do as good of a job describing the object as the simple word.

Who ever told him he is a casual writer, either doesn't know writing or is coddling.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

malstrom is the man

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

@steven

Whoa there! I never said anything about refined being fancy... to be honest I didn't know how you'd define refined so I made sure not to slap a definition on it. His point by the way is interlaced between all is articles - the major complaint I hear is about his rehtoric which is funny because does so intentionally.

I'm convinced though that you and he have totally different understanding on what casual is - in anecdote; I had a friend who I jokingly asked knowing that he is a hardcore gamer (by definition of playing game engines and not just games) what to expect for an answer. We had already actually gone through the motions of this industry not having a grasp of what casual actually is and instead they think it's so magical demographic or just the flash game moms. So my friend responded, "casuals are people who play casually - they don't play for too long nor too often." I agreed and laughed my fanny off all the way - then called him laughing on the phone just to tell him "sort of." By his definition he's totally correct though, but what this guy (Malstrom) is defining it as is the industry slapped 'casual' (which if you read his past articles you'd know why he quotes that) on the core gamers that buy into "casual games" or games geared towards everyone.

Now for what it's worth Malstrom did explain exactly what he means for each word he types - you have to read all his articles in order actually not think the guy is a total asshat.

Firstly context over content - that's his first step towards writing for casuals. if casuals of the core demographic or everyone however you find it easier to digest wanted content they would go to school and get text books on the subject. This is the major driver for his writings.

Nextly reitteration of points - he loves to wrap himself in his own smug, that he does. People see it as being rhetoric I see it as him just saying: "See, see I told ya so." Which is fine by me but only if he was correct which amazingly he actually has been for a little while now. If E3 pans out exactly as he's said by this point I wouldnt be suprised. Of course he isn't an insider nor is he surfer girl nor is he psychic he just analyzes the money flow, historical data and how they align to recent trends.

Lastly - he writes these articles for himself. you can tell in his writing, he doesn't have to come out and say it. but he does plently of times. Saying you have a problem with his writing would be moot as he is not published nor edited. I honestly don't understand how your even offended or antagonized in the slightest bit, this isn't a book, nor does he claim to be or currently delivering this information from the position of a journalist.

Simply put it's a blog if you don't like it, don't read it honestly it cost you nothing but time.

Around the Network

Is it just me or is it only on VGChartz I ever hear of this Malstrom guy?

Who is he anyway? Is he generally respected by the gaming community?

I think you misunderstand me. I am not arguing against his point. I have tortured myself reading the rest of it and still haven't found it.

Here's what I got from the article. If the game has instructions it is broken. He says tutorial, but really older games didn't have tutorials because of technical limitations, so I expanded it to instructions.

Too much text. I agree for the most part. Notice the only argument that makes sense is also short. Hmmm, must be an accident.

Fun in one minute. The first time you play Super Mario Bros, it is fun in the first minute. That is about the only game I can think of. Every other game (that I can think of) has you meet some text, tutorial, or insta-death before the end of the first minute. These games aren't all broken.

Madden is an extremely accessible game, it is also one of the most nuanced when it comes to gameplay. (Not so much because of the game but because of the number of people playing. On a side note, I can't believe I said good things about Madden :) Just kidding)

Next, the crap about Shakey braking the Greek tradition is just not true. There were plenty of English playwrites before Shakespeare. He was writing in a very specific style that dictated meter and structure (he didn't invent that style). He wasn't that different than others, he was better.

Most of his argument has nothing to do with casual, and more to do with his personal taste. I still don't really see what he is trying to get at. I still think he is a bad writer.  If he writes for himself, then why is he publishing it?

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

@steve

You know what, I got to go to work tommorow so I'll read it again then we can continue this, because either your taking what he said litterally or out of context or I just overlooked that part or I placed it within context.

Either way as painful as it may be I strongly suggest you read his other articles before reading his news articles as they do not do him justice at all.

pearljammer said:
Is it just me or is it only on VGChartz I ever hear of this Malstrom guy?

Who is he anyway? Is he generally respected by the gaming community?

NeoGAF has a thread about this article as well.  My favorite post in that thread is from a user named FightyF who rips apart the article and mentions the fact that Malstrom actually made up a quote from Mark Rein (read the last few paragraphs in his post).  Also a user named GitarooMan pretty much summed things up as well.

NeoGAF thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325845

FightyG's post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11852784&postcount=89

GitarooMan's post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11853597&postcount=100

Yadda Yadda! the Hardcore having a cry at a Malstorm article!.. what ever! Wii still rules! and completely pwning the HD consoles.

His intelligence is way too much for most of ya to grasp.. and he already put his points as simple as he could. how sad!