By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Malstrom article - Secret to the “Casual”

ROFL!

Sorry people but I can't help but laugh when I hear all your cryings. You read some paragahps or two and doesn't even analize them. I heard the article and is veyr true. He's refering to the abuse of those "red flags" because let's face it, most of the blockbuster games out there abuse them a lot.

But your hardcore mentality makes you cringe and how! You people make me sad.

Around the Network
Bobbuffalo said:
ROFL!

Sorry people but I can't help but laugh when I hear all your cryings. You read some paragahps or two and doesn't even analize them. I heard the article and is veyr true. He's refering to the abuse of those "red flags" because let's face it, most of the blockbuster games out there abuse them a lot.

But your hardcore mentality makes you cringe and how! You people make me sad.

Nice, very nice. How can you comment on others crying when you're doing it yourself? Leave the thread please.

DMeisterJ said:
He then says "Your game is broken if it has a tutorial". I distinctly remember playing Zelda: TP and getting the wooden sword, and the little girls and boys telling me how to strike. So basically, Zelda: TP is a broken game.

Good thing I know that now. I won't be finishing that game.

You're taking the notion of a "tutorial" to the extreme. A few instructions here and there don't make a tutorial IMO.

I agree the article has some flaws though.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

MontanaHatchet said:
sc94597 said:
Lol I like how for the past year we've been linking his articles, and no ps360 fans reply. But he makes one bad article, and all of them come to post. Funny isn't it? Anyway I agree and disagree with alot of the points in this article. How bout you guys go read some of his others that are wii specific, and don't even touch your precious hd consoles.

Before, PS360 fans all stayed away from these threads because the threads were some of the most pathetic cess pools of worship and fanboyism on the internet. Now that most people agree that he's a hack, PS360 can safely wade through the overwhelming fog of propaganda.

Yeah, propaganda like this:

http://thewiikly.zogdog.com/article.php?article=89&ed=10

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

I normally enjoy malstrom's articles but this one seen boring this was the first one that I skip a lot of parts.

Around the Network
Soriku said:

Meh...while I don't really agree with Malstrom on that part I'd say games are severly lacking good tutorials. Most of the time you're figuring out things by yourself. Not that thats bad but just saying. It's also annoying when manuals have no info on something basic that you can't seem to figure out.

I don't like reading manuals unless they're epic by themselves, I'd much rather prefer that all non-obvious things are explained by a quick set of instructions when the ability becomes available, or in the worst case with a help screen available in the game options or something like that.

Huge unskippable tutorials are too much though, and so are big missions whose only purpose is to teach you something about the game (see GTA4 for many examples). I agree with Malstrom in this regard.

NJ5 said:
DMeisterJ said:
He then says "Your game is broken if it has a tutorial". I distinctly remember playing Zelda: TP and getting the wooden sword, and the little girls and boys telling me how to strike. So basically, Zelda: TP is a broken game.

You're taking the notion of a "tutorial" to the extreme. A few instructions here and there don't make a tutorial IMO.

So there's a differentiation between a "few instructions" and a "tutorial"?  They're one in the same.  Granted, this is a small tutorial, but still one nonetheless.

steven787 said:

Oh my god, I shouldn't have read more...

Ironically, you can combine the two. Academics write many, many books. None of them are read. Why? They are so steeped in academic style as the masses don?t want to slog through that. Their content is also not what people care to know. After their ?brilliance? fails to create a best-selling book, they just declare that the masses are ?idiots? and that those best-selling books are written in a ?casual? style (written in a retarded way, dumbed down, for the masses).

As a student of international affairs who goes to every conference that I can get into,  I must say: this guy is talking out of his ass.  Every diplomat, politician, and business person I meet is extremely well read.

The masses are the masses for a reason, because they choose not to pull them selves up.  Acedemic writing is there for all to read, and is a means for pulling oneself up.  Games are a diversion.  Two different things altogether.

This guy is a dumbass who is promoting illiteracy.

You do realize that he's speaking about what has happened and not what is intended?

Also your passing off what you believe as what another person really meant to say, which is just arrogance. In fact most of your inserts above were just personal attacks to challenge the credability of his writing by morphing his sentence into what you believed then attacking what you believed and placing the blame back onto his sentence.

He sais he is happy he writes for casuals, the context claims he's relating this to gaming in that a product geared towards the so called casuals is actually trying to target everyone.

He goes so far as to refference Shakespeare which I believe was the definition to his point. Unless your going to say Shakespeare was against the education of people - to which logically I'd have to argue as people needed to understand the language he delivered his product in order for him to make money. That's what that entire article is about: making money.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Malstrom: Years before the Wii, Nintendo began to see the Dillemma. They noticed the Core market was sick. North America’s gaming growth had become so stagnant that analysts had to resort declaring ‘growth’ as rise in revenue not factoring in rising costs for consoles and games. The Core market in Japan was so sick that it had begun to contract. If Nintendo kept going the same route, as Iwata said, all they could do is just wait for the market to shrivel up and die.

Hardcore: Iwata was being dramatic.

Malstrom: I don’t think so. With the success of the Wii, I think we should look back at what Iwata said with more thought. The concept is to build up an Expanded Market and keep the Core Market as healthy as possible before the Dilemma hits. Like the newspapers and the Internet, the old ‘Core’ games must be converted to the new values of the Expanded Market if they are to survive the Dilemma.

Hardcore: This is madness!

Malstrom: This is disruption!
-----------------------------------
This part was funny. It reminds me of 300

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

DMeisterJ said:
NJ5 said:
DMeisterJ said:

So there's a differentiation between a "few instructions" and a "tutorial"?  They're one in the same.  Granted, this is a small tutorial, but still one nonetheless.

It's an "extremely small tutorial" at most, which takes us right back to my claim that you were taking his words to the extreme.