By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Malstrom article - Secret to the “Casual”

Is this another one of those boring articles where he worships casual gamers? I seriously wish people would stop acknowledging him.

Around the Network
wfz said:
Super Mario Galaxy has a tutorial...Super Paper Mario has lots of text..."long" cinematics is entirely subjective so I don't know which game to give as an example for this....

I find his last point even somewhat broken. Just because the first minute of it isn't fun, doesn't mean the rest of the game isn't fun. What it means is that the beginning of the game is broken and should be handled better, but I wouldn't go so far as to say the entire game is broken because of it.

Hell, Kingdom Hearts has tutorials and cutscenes, does that mean that game is broken and bad? I know countless "casuals" who love that series.

The logic to his argument is flawed.

His writing sucks.  He writes too much to make simple statements.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

To all of you guys who love his new article....

If it wasn't Malstrom who wrote this, and it was some unknown person, how would you like it? I can't help but think that many of you like this just because you stick behind Malstrom's back.

I love some of his other articles, they have very interesting reads, but there are many different flaws in most of them. He's making correlations and twisting things by bringing in unrelated material like academic books and professors and acting like they relate to videogames. Sure, itt sounds nice, great even, but it doesn't work.

On top of that, I know many casuals who absolutely love cutscenes in games. According to Malstrom...casuals don't like cutscenes?

I really disliked this article. And this is coming from a Ninty fanboy.

I much prefer the video that Celine put up in this thread.

MontanaHatchet said:
Is this another one of those boring articles where he worships casual gamers? I seriously wish people would stop acknowledging him.

Well said.

Soriku, thanks for keeping this shit in the Nintendo Forum.

Take this comment for instance: "Does it have a tutorial? If yes, then your game is broken.". What a twit for speaking in absolutes and bashing many of the greatest games ever created. He's a raging Nintendo fanboy who is oblivious to the fact that he's insulting many developers and even games made by the companies he has a bias for.

Around the Network

Lol I like how for the past year we've been linking his articles, and no ps360 fans reply. But he makes one bad article, and all of them come to post. Funny isn't it? Anyway I agree and disagree with alot of the points in this article. How bout you guys go read some of his others that are wii specific, and don't even touch your precious hd consoles.

Legend11 said:
Soriku, thanks for keeping this shit in the Nintendo Forum.

Take this comment for instance: "Does it have a tutorial? If yes, then your game is broken.". What a twit for speaking in absolutes and bashing many of the greatest games ever created. He's a raging Nintendo fanboy who is oblivious to the fact that he's insulting many developers and the friendly fire in his attempts to insult the things he is biased against.

He's just preaching to the choir...and the choir seems to love it.

It is funny though, because many of his own points can be turned against Nintendo's own greatest games. lawl.

sc94597 said:
Lol I like how for the past year we've been linking his articles, and no ps360 fans reply. But he makes one bad article, and all of them come to post. Funny isn't it? Anyway I agree and disagree with alot of the points in this article. How bout you guys go read some of his others that are wii specific, and don't even touch your precious hd consoles.

For the record, I've never liked him.

sc94597 said:

Before, PS360 fans all stayed away from these threads because the threads were some of the most pathetic cess pools of worship and fanboyism on the internet. Now that most people agree that he's a hack, PS360 can safely wade through the overwhelming fog of propaganda.

Squilliam said:
Hes so full of himself. His analogies are flawed and he misrepresents what is commonly called "hardcore" thereby creating a straw man argument.

So one strawman deserves another?

the2bears - the indie shmup blog