By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Malstrom article - Secret to the “Casual”

The_vagabond7 said:
thanks soriku, will read later.

24 paragraphs is too much? Have we really gotten that mentally lazy? If it's longer than a text message why bother?

Basically.

I mean, I just don't understand how a point couldn't be brought home with less paragraphs.  I think I might read it, and format it, to fit in under ten paragraphs, yet still bring home the major points.

Around the Network

I found this quote Ironic:

Ironically, you can combine the two. Academics write many, many books. None of them are read. Why? They are so steeped in academic style as the masses don’t want to slog through that.

DMeisterJ said:

F that.

No one is going to read a ten page dissertation on this bull. If you really can't condense a thought into a few paragraphs, I'm not going to give you my precious time.

While I think this opinion is a bit ridiculous (seriously, there's nothing wrong with someone actually going into depth and backing up their opinions for once. It's a persuasive essay, and Malstrom takes it seriously), I am getting all ittle sick of Malstrom's articles. He pretty much just repeats himself every time he posts a new article. I mean, there's nothing he said since "Birdman" that can't be extrapolated from that article. Disruption, upmarket movement, the distortion of what "casual" means, he said it all then, and hasn't added anything new since.

My consoles and the fates they suffered:

Atari 7800 (Sold), Intellivision (Thrown out), Gameboy (Lost), Super Nintendo (Stolen), Super Nintendo (2nd copy) (Thrown out by mother), Nintendo 64 (Still own), Super Nintendo (3rd copy) (Still own), Wii (Sold)

A more detailed history appears on my profile.

DJMeisterJ, he goes into detail so that counter arguments are already addressed. If you just write your point and don't back it up then it's a piece of cake to fill it with holes and you'd end up writing another article just to defend your first article or clarify certain implications.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

DMeisterJ said:

F that.

No one is going to read a ten page dissertation on this bull. If you really can't condense a thought into a few paragraphs, I'm not going to give you my precious time.

Lol this is the funniest post I've read in a long time.When I started reading this thread sc was happy about this and then I read your post and I started laughing lol.

Around the Network

Lulz. Another good quote "Only Nintendo or Blizzard are willing to delay a game until its "done".

Okay, sure.

DMeisterJ said:
I found this quote Ironic:

Ironically, you can combine the two. Academics write many, many books. None of them are read. Why? They are so steeped in academic style as the masses don’t want to slog through that.

There's a big difference between Malstrom and his relatively short articles and very basic language, and what he's talking about--massively long articles written in an incredibly obtuse rhetorical style. That's academic/theortical essays, and they bear almost no resemblence to Malstrom's writing style.

My consoles and the fates they suffered:

Atari 7800 (Sold), Intellivision (Thrown out), Gameboy (Lost), Super Nintendo (Stolen), Super Nintendo (2nd copy) (Thrown out by mother), Nintendo 64 (Still own), Super Nintendo (3rd copy) (Still own), Wii (Sold)

A more detailed history appears on my profile.

err Rol he deletes those articles after a while.. although you've missed nothing because I believe he puts them into archive by month.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

I'm gonna read the whole thing!

In your face Dmunster.

He then says "Your game is broken if it has a tutorial". I distinctly remember playing Zelda: TP and getting the wooden sword, and the little girls and boys telling me how to strike. So basically, Zelda: TP is a broken game.

Good thing I know that now. I won't be finishing that game.