By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
cookingyourmama said:

2. The numbers i posted were usa npd+canada npd those are facts not made up. I posted the difference between these numbers and vgchartz numbers again facts not made up. I asked why the large difference between the wii and 360 numbers and not the ps3 numbers, nobody could give a conclusive answer with conclusive proof.

You're not going to get conclusive proof because the numbers you're talking about are estimates.

es·ti·mate:

- an approximate judgment or calculation, as of the value, amount, time, size, or weight of something.

Conclusive proof exists only in theoretical mathematics, everywhere else we just have evidence. The answer to your question is that there is a difference because they are both estimates. And it isn't a large difference between the two estimates, there is a less than 7% difference. It only seems large to you because you're looking at the absolute difference rather than the relative difference.

Is any of this sinking in?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
cookingyourmama said:

So you don't have any proof then and are just guessing, sorry i asked the question and you have to come up with the proof. Who says npd's numbers are off, again you have no conclusive proof.

Please come up with one intelligent reason why NPD would break with the standard approach and not adjust there numbers ... Please just one reason why they would accept being a tracking firm with useless data.

Because their data was so good to begin with that it doesn't need changing, how about that for a possible reason. Plus like i've said before how do you know what changes have taken place at all? Do you think a multi million company with decades of tracking knowledge would come up with significantly wrong data in first place and when it gets changed it significantly changes the original ltd's?

FishyJoe said:
cookingyourmama said:
FishyJoe said:
cookingyourmama said:

Well for starters you're just concentrating on the wii, who's to say that some how the wii numbers are right but the 360 or ps3 numbers are wrong. Who's to say that the 1 million difference isn't a combination of wii's sold in south america, wii's in transit and wii's on store shelves?

Can you explain the ps3 numbers where aparantly the ps3 has sold next to nothing in south america.

Well you're free to think that there is a million unsold Wiis floating around the Americas. There is no point arguing with you if you really believe that. It's impossible to argue with someone who can't be somewhat reasonable.

No, of those million wii's some are sold in south america, some are on shelves and some are in transit, what's so hard to understand about that?

You've just proved my entire point. You can't say VGC is inaccurate just by looking at NPD results because they don't account for these variables.

I'm not saying who is right and who is wrong i'm pointing out the difference in data between the two because my personal opinion is neither npd nor vgchartz is 100% correct and their are possible holes in both their data.

HappySqurriel said:
koffieboon said:
Although only partly related to this topic, does anybody know at what exact stage Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft count a console as being shipped and do we know if they all use the exact same stage?

I'm not certain of the exact stages of all three console manufacturers accounting practices at the moment, but with there fiscal 2007 report Sony changed their shipped numbers to reflect the shipment out of their hands to retailers (and I believe it was from their factories to warehouses before this).

But do they have to be in the hand of retailers or not? Cause a console can already be ordered by a retailer even before it is manufactured. In that case it could be considered "shipped" the minute it leaves the factory but it will still be weeks in transit before it will actually reach the retailer. In that case the difference between shipped and sold will be a lot bigger than when the retailer needs to have physically received the console.

famousringo said:
cookingyourmama said:

2. The numbers i posted were usa npd+canada npd those are facts not made up. I posted the difference between these numbers and vgchartz numbers again facts not made up. I asked why the large difference between the wii and 360 numbers and not the ps3 numbers, nobody could give a conclusive answer with conclusive proof.

You're not going to get conclusive proof because the numbers you're talking about are estimates.

es·ti·mate:

- an approximate judgment or calculation, as of the value, amount, time, size, or weight of something.

Conclusive proof exists only in theoretical mathematics, everywhere else we just have evidence. The answer to your question is that there is a difference because they are both estimates. And it isn't a large difference between the two estimates, there is a less than 7% difference. It only seems large to you because you're looking at the absolute difference rather than the relative difference.

Is any of this sinking in?

I know all of this so you don't need to go down the dictionary definition route. Well you can talk about the % difference but as the real numbers get higher that 7% difference soon turns into millions. As the ltd's get higher then the difference in % should get smaller not bigger other wise that shows that their is a problem.

Around the Network
cookingyourmama said:
HappySqurriel said:
cookingyourmama said:

So you don't have any proof then and are just guessing, sorry i asked the question and you have to come up with the proof. Who says npd's numbers are off, again you have no conclusive proof.

Please come up with one intelligent reason why NPD would break with the standard approach and not adjust there numbers ... Please just one reason why they would accept being a tracking firm with useless data.

Because their data was so good to begin with that it doesn't need changing, how about that for a possible reason. Plus like i've said before how do you know what changes have taken place at all? Do you think a multi million company with decades of tracking knowledge would come up with significantly wrong data in first place that when it  gets changed it significantly changes the original ltd's?

Then how do you explain March 2008 when the DS posted a huge number despite no major releases or promotions? That sure seemed like an adjustment. Definitely suspicious.

cookingyourmama said:

I'm not saying who is right and who is wrong i'm pointing out the difference in data between the two because my personal opinion is neither npd nor vgchartz is 100% correct and their are possible holes in both their data.

You're right, neither one is 100% correct. They both know this, because they're both estimating.

If you want perfect accuracy, just do what Fishy said at the start and look at the financials. They're the only accurate numbers in the business. They just won't tell you how many of those units are going to consumers.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

cookingyourmama said:

Because their data was so good to begin with that it doesn't need changing, how about that for a possible reason. Plus like i've said before how do you know what changes have taken place at all? Do you think a multi million company with decades of tracking knowledge would come up with significantly wrong data in first place that when it  gets changed it significantly changes the original ltd's?

I will explain it to you a different way ...

Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony all announce 100% accurate numbers which reflect the shipments of their hardware at a particular point in time; they're legally obligated to provide the most accurate numbers possible so they're very trustworthy. When you're trying to track sales to consumers what you're really trying to track is:

(Sales to Consumers) = (Shipped) - (Unsold inventory) - (unsold systems)

The unsold inventory can include the number of systems that are in retailer inventory, in transit, or possibly in the manufacturers warehouse depending on how the manufacturer handles their accounting. The size the unsold inventory is not a constant value, but it is a number which operates in a particular range depending on multiple factors; basically, a retailer is only going to accept so many consoles and a manufacturer is not going to stockpile years worth of inventory for no reason. The unsold systems include replacement systems and systems that were given away (or possibly sold through untracked channels).

Unless you track 100% of the data at the retailer's end (which no one does), or unless your analysts are surprisingly lucky (in which case they should pick lottery numbers), you will have fairly large errors in your data that need to be adjusted. If you blindly continue on without consideration of what the shipped numbers actually mean in reference to the sold to consumer without adjusting your total and methodology you will (eventually) end up with either a number of systems sold that surpass the shipment numbers, or an unsold inventory that is entirely unrealistic.

Right now your NPD numbers demonstrate (roughly) a 10% error for Wii numbers as of March 31st 2008 ... if they continue with a similar error rate eventually the number of systems they expect retailers to have in inventory will surpass the number of Wii systems sold in a year, or they will have the Wii's replacement rate at an unrealisticly high number (given that the majority of replacement systems are refurbished).

FishyJoe said:
cookingyourmama said:
HappySqurriel said:
cookingyourmama said:

Because their data was so good to begin with that it doesn't need changing, how about that for a possible reason. Plus like i've said before how do you know what changes have taken place at all? Do you think a multi million company with decades of tracking knowledge would come up with significantly wrong data in first place that when it gets changed it significantly changes the original ltd's?

Then how do you explain March 2008 when the DS posted a huge number despite no major releases or promotions? That sure seemed like an adjustment. Definitely suspicious.

Ok hang on here for a second. I've been told several times in this thread that npd goes back and adjusts their data for previous months if they 'got it wrong' so therefore the total ltd that is released is wrong......yet now what you're saying is they just add it on to the next month to be reported which if that's the case then the total ltd is correct and it doesn't matter if they changed it because will still have the final total ltd.

cookingyourmama said:

Ok hang on here for a second. I've been told several times in this thread that npd goes back and adjusts their data for previous months if they 'got it wrong' so therefore the total ltd that is released is wrong......yet now what you're saying is they just add it on to the next month to be reported which if that's the case then the total ltd is correct and it doesn't matter if they changed it because will still have the final total ltd.

Oi, I never said NPD's LTD numbers were wrong. I said your use of their statistics to prove VGC inaccurate was wrong.