By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A theory of why KH3 or FFVII remake will be on Wii

I can't think of any other RPG that would be able to bring in more "casuals" than Kingdom Hearts. It's got freakin Disney Characters in it.. Hope it comes to the Wii!

I really doubt FFVII though, since it never had anything to do with Nintendo in the first place.

Around the Network
cwbys21 said:
the_bloodwalker said:

@ FilaBrasileiro

True, the possibility is in all platforms.

But the Wii in my opinion has the higher chances based on which I presented. It hasnothing to do with technology specs, but more to cater to a wider audience beyond Xbox360 and PS3.

DS has many games from SE in order to introduce themselves to the new audience with low development costs and get good profit in the process, then they can deliver n the Wii with a bang.

On PSP there has been games but there will most likely be new franchises or very good spinoffs that are masterpieces of their own, but the audience is not as powerful as the DS beyond the Japanese Market and the cost is higher than a DS game not to mention the development time. Not to insult the PSP (is a very cool handheld)

if the wii truely is going to be the dominant console, many of the gamers are going to be part of the 120 million ps2 owners.  so the "wider audience beyond 360/ps3" is just a guess at this time, and would that new "wider audience" who wouldn't know about ff7 or kh be interested in such a game.  no body knows.

the second bolded part is the key, they aren't developing for ds to "introduce themselves to a wider audience" they are showing the DS a lot of love because it is dirt cheap to develop for and sells games by the truck load for high profits.  and the psp does cost more to develop for, but it is also dirt cheap compared to consoles, so there is good profit there also.

sc, it has been discussed to death, the characters don't make a game core or casual, the gameplay does.  otherwise I guess Zelda Wind Waker is the most casual Zelda ever because Link was pretty much a child in that game and what core game puts such a small child as the lead?

given Disney's liking for Nintendo, combined with SE's lust for money, the DS seems like the perfect fit for KH3
If it is all about maximizing profit and reaching the Disney audience (not to mention 40 million bigger userbase and slowly growing), DS is much better than Wii.

I never said it was ALL about money, but that certainly plays an important factor.  Given what SE would probably want to do with a fully fledged KH3, handhelds are most likely out of the question.  That leaves three systems, and of those three, the Wii is the most likely candidate.  And yes, profitibility is one of the primary reasons for that, in addition to the fact that Disney seems to just love Nintendo.

z101 said:

Really? I don't know if so much FF-Fans would play FF7 again. A big part from the FF-Games are the story twists, but everyone who played the game once knows the story. I played it once and I will not play it again. But the Wii market has players who never played FF7.

The only reason I could think of why sony not release FF7 on the Wii is they don't want to get sony angry. But today sony is not the big number in the video business anymore, perhaps square enix doesn't care about sonys irritation.

Yea because Square-Enix doesn't remake their FF games, like EVER. There is no way that they would remake a FF like lets say FFIV 4 times, that's just not possible because NOBODY would play it again. Especially FFVII, that game flopped and u can find it anywhere for 5 dollars because nobody wants it. *rolls eyes* Get real, that's a load of crap. Not every FF fan got to play FFVII, and ones that did, im pretty sure would replay it if they were to remake it. Have u checked Ebay for FFVII? It goes for ridiculous amounts, and im pretty sure that those that actually buy it, are ppl that have played the game before and don't have the game no more and want to play it again.

z101 said:
makingmusic476 said:

Kingdoms Hearts? Probably.

FFVII? After this and later this, I think it's unlikely.

The Videos are old. Two years ago Sony thought that the PS3 will be the next king of consoles. I don't know if FF7 will come to Wii, but that would be a smart move from square enix.

makingmusic476 said:

With FFVII, fans just want the same game with prettier graphics.  They don't want a reinvention of the gameplay, and that's the type of thing that the Wii would best be suited for.

Really? I don't know if so much FF-Fans would play FF7 again. A big part from the FF-Games are the story twists, but everyone who played the game once knows the story. I played it once and I will not play it again. But the Wii market has players who never played FF7.

The only reason I could think of why sony not release FF7 on the Wii is they don't want to get sony angry. But today sony is not the big number in the video business anymore, perhaps square enix doesn't care about sonys irritation.

The second video was a spoiler at the end of Crisis Core: FFVII, a game released less than a year ago in Japan, and only three months ago in the US.

And there are plenty of FF fans who are itching for a FFVII remake.  Were you not around when the first video was initially shown?  People were freaking out across forums everywhere over the possibility of a remake.

Why else does SE do remakes.  Because fans will gladly fork over the cash to rebuy the games, in addition to new customers.

sc94597 said:

Of course not, but I wouldn't call KH the most of the hardcore. Also while characters definately don't make a game casual, these characters could target the casual audience. I would say KH targets both crowds.  Oh and kh3 won't go to the ds, because the ds is getting a spinoff, and by the time they are done with the game the ds would most likely be suceeded.

FF12 released after the ps3 was released I think, and the DS will have a larger user base than the ps2 had.  I also don't think Nintendo is in any rush to replace the ds since it is selling faster than even the wii.

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=DS&reg2=All&cons3=PSP&reg3=All&start=39264&end=39628

the point I was trying to make though is that some of the people *cough*soriku* who have been pushing the Wii agenda say development costs, user base, and controls (this part I think is BS but thats just me) but if you are going to put it on the platform that is cheapest to develop for, has the biggest user base and biggest returns, it has got to be DS, especially since SE is putting DQ9 on DS.

Around the Network

the tech demo and the PSP prequel were also indications for me that a PS3 remake of FFVII was possible, but there are a few problems.

SquareEnix take a lot of time to deliver FFXIII and the other HD RPG's. They want to give the best quality. With that kind of delay starting development on the remake will probably not make it till the mid of the other generation of consoles (after PS3). We're talking about visual art here, that takes a lot of time and more resources.

And Square Enix, like any company, wants to get profit and money. The wii can be their chance. 

the_bloodwalker said:

the tech demo and the PSP prequel were also indications for me that a PS3 remake of FFVII was possible, but there are a few problems.

SquareEnix take a lot of time to deliver FFXIII and the other HD RPG's. They want to give the best quality. With that kind of delay starting development on the remake will probably not make it till the mid of the other generation of consoles (after PS3). We're talking about visual art here, that takes a lot of time and more resources.

And Square Enix, like any company, wants to get profit and money. The wii can be their chance. 

They've been developing the crystal tools for ps3 through development of FFXIII/FFVXIII. Both games should be finished  before the middle of this gen (probably net year some time), leaving the entire second half of the generation to develop FFVII.  Given that the engine would by that point in time have been completed, and the fact that the entire groundwork for FFVII has been done through the original, it shouldn't take near as long as FFXIII to develop.

And a remake would have to start then at the earliest anyway, as Kitase said that they would not want to work on a remake until the entire original team (sans Sakaguchi, obviously), could be reformed for the project.  Since the team is currently spread across FFXIII, FFVXIII, and other projects, they would have to wait until completion to start the remake anyway.

Assuming they aren't BS'ing us, that is.

makingmusic476 said:
the_bloodwalker said:

They've been developing the crystal tools for ps3 through development of FFXIII/FFVXIII. Both games should be finished  before the middle of this gen (probably net year some time), leaving the entire second half of the generation to develop FFVII.  Given that the engine would by that point in time have been completed, and the fact that the entire groundwork for FFVII has been done through the original, it shouldn't take near as long as FFXIII to develop.

And a remake would have to start then at the earliest anyway, as Nomura said that they would not want to work on a remake until the entire original team (sans Sakaguchi, obviously), could be reformed for the project.  Since the team is currently spread across FFXIII, FFVXIII, and other projects, they would have to wait until completion to start the remake anyway.

The code and engine is one thing..... HD 3D models with their textures, audio, animation, motion capture, story script, debugging, testing.... that takes time

-- Edit --

But this is just specultation... the other game could be a secuel of the Chrono Franchise (nor Chrono Cross).... but I have alot of doubts on this one

the_bloodwalker said:
makingmusic476 said:
the_bloodwalker said:

And a remake would have to start then at the earliest anyway, as Nomura said that they would not want to work on a remake until the entire original team (sans Sakaguchi, obviously), could be reformed for the project.  Since the team is currently spread across FFXIII, FFVXIII, and other projects, they would have to wait until completion to start the remake anyway.

The code and engine is one thing..... HD 3D models with their textures, audio, animation, motion capture, story script, debugging, testing.... that takes time

It does, but with all that other stuff out of the way, it will take less time than something like FFXIII, for which they had to develop the engine, gameplay, story, etc. in addition to all of that other stuff.

And they are making Crystal tools Wii compatible as well. They plan to use Nintendo's console's capabilities too

We're talking about possiblilities here. Given the sudden change of Monster Hunter 3 from PS3 to Wii (the first game in the franchise in a Nintendo platform) I really don't know what to expect from japanese companies.