By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A theory of why KH3 or FFVII remake will be on Wii

WARNING: The following argument is to explain a personal theory based on the evidence and there is actually no confirmation that it will happen for how much The Bloodwalker dreams of it. This is purely speculation and is not intended to flame HiDef gaming nor Final Fantasy fans.

For a long time something had been bugging me about SquareEnix and their moves toward Nintendo platforms ever since the “separation” two generations ago, their remakes and many games on DS and the total changes in the Wii game Crystal Bearers. Their move with Final Fantasy XIII and the branching to other platforms besides Sony’s to deliver new and old IPs. All of this seemed really strange to me. But this twisted head of mine came up with a theory of why there has been so little news about games for the Wii and IF (notice the bolded capital word) Kingdom Hearts 3 or a Final Fantasy VII remake is in the works, it may come exclusively to Nintendo’s console.

Yes, it may sound very confusing, especially from a gamer’s perspective. There are many fans that after watching the tech demo for Playstation 3 would love to see the remake of what had been considered the most influential iteration of the franchise in RPG history. I agreed with many of their points (which I won’t explain here)… until I decided to look at the developer, SquareEnix, as a company and one of their flagship franchises. With a deeper analysis, I conclude something that may make many hardcore fans really angry and make arguments with sales data, which are not wrong to a degree.

After the “switch” to Sony Playstation, Square was very successful to evolve the franchise with the many features that the console offered and brought to many one of the most remembered games of all time (love them all). It was a clever step in order to expand in was they couldn’t do it before on Nintendo platforms in the past. It was definite to gain the position as one of the best Japanese RPG developers in the western hemisphere. Being exclusive on a successful platform really paid off and the company grew.

On the next generation they continued with their formula and did really well, some new franchises reached the hearts of gamers. They released the spinoff Crystal Chronicles on Nintendo gamecube (with mixed reception) and one successful MMORPG with Final Fantasy XI. But this wouldn’t remain the same as Nintendo decided to change directions and approach gaming in a different way. This was the beginning of a problem they reached and they didn’t noticed in the past. They became a stagnant company whou really couldn’t expand beyond the “hardcore” audience.

This is why there are many announcements with games for Xbox30 and PS3, because gamers are mainly “hardcore” and a game with their name as the developer is a big sale, not just because of quality. This hype that is pre-established on the HD platforms is very little on the Wii in general, they may not relate SquareEnix nor Final Fantasy with quality. This is why just releasing a game will not mean a huge success in sales. They needed to build up some hype and introduce themselves to the new gamers as a quality RPG company. So they chose the DS as the introductory platform because it cheap to develop a game on the handheld than the console amd many DS owners would most likely get the Wii.

So what’s next? SquareEnix knows that on the Wii, the ground is equal and any other developer might take their position as a quality RPG developer among the new audience (Marvelous Interactive maybe) so they need to deliver a “megaton” game to cater the new gamers. Soul Eater may or may not leave Japan and Crystal Bearers has been pushed back in order to be improved. But  with just one flagship they don’t have enough power. So a new game is needed.

Could be KH3? FFVII Remake? Very possible.  

Around the Network

Could be, but it's just as possible as a PS3 and/or 360 version at this point. It's also possible it might be a PSP or DS version IMO. I'm being serious.

Kingdoms Hearts? Probably.

FFVII? After this and later this, I think it's unlikely.

@ FilaBrasileiro

True, the possibility is in all platforms.

But the Wii in my opinion has the higher chances based on which I presented. It hasnothing to do with technology specs, but more to cater to a wider audience beyond Xbox360 and PS3.

DS has many games from SE in order to introduce themselves to the new audience with low development costs and get good profit in the process, then they can deliver n the Wii with a bang.

On PSP there has been games but there will most likely be new franchises or very good spinoffs that are masterpieces of their own, but the audience is not as powerful as the DS beyond the Japanese Market and the cost is higher than a DS game not to mention the development time. Not to insult the PSP (is a very cool handheld)

both KH and FF are both more hardcore games then anything. Its highly unlikely that casuals will just buy into it. Hell alot of the casuals dont even know about mario, they just care about playing tennis on the wii. It should belong on hardcore platforms where generally more core gamers reside.

Also both are big time in the graphics department. THats why the demand for ps3 ff 7 is because it would be fantastic to see it in some awsome graphics. The wii would be a huge letdown. It also applies to KH.

Also how would you implement the motion? Maybe in KH 3 but not FF 7.

You persume that the wii is bringing in new gamers who would be interested in these things. Which there will be a few, but highly unlikely.

Owner of all consoles cept DS.....Currently in love with prototype!

Around the Network

Actually I agree. Square Enix seems to want to be the king of rpgs everywhere. Now they are most likely working on alot of big things on the wii to become the king there too. We already know what is in store fot he ps3, and 360, but we have yet to find out what is in store for the WIi. I don't agree though that its a FFVII remake, since I don't think it will be remade this gen. I think its KH3, and something else, like a sequel to chrono trigger, or a new ip. this is without mentioning that DQX will most likely come to the Wii, but that is years from now toward the end of this generation.

Bingoo said:
both KH and FF are both more hardcore games then anything. Its highly unlikely that casuals will just buy into it. Hell alot of the casuals dont even know about mario, they just care about playing tennis on the wii. It should belong on hardcore platforms where generally more core gamers reside.

Also both are big time in the graphics department. THats why the demand for ps3 ff 7 is because it would be fantastic to see it in some awsome graphics. The wii would be a huge letdown. It also applies to KH.

You persume that the wii is bringing in new gamers who would be interested in these things. Which there will be a few, but highly unlikely.

Look how hardcore KH is. 

OH and look how it revolves around Graffex. OMgz. It needz to be on the ps3.

Bingoo said:

I agree with this in reference to FFVII.  The Wii's greatest strength lies in its innovative controls.  With FFVII, fans just want the same game with prettier graphics.  They don't want a reinvention of the gameplay, and that's the type of thing that the Wii would best be suited for.

And the game would sell 6-7 million easy regardless of which platform it is released upon.

Kingdom Hearts 3, however, could utilize the Wii's controls in a positive way, and given Disney's liking for Nintendo, combined with SE's lust for money, the Wii seems like the perfect fit for KH3, despite what some fans may want.

You're right they need to focus more on Wii development. will it be FFVII or KH I don't know. I would like it but I doubt it.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Bingoo said:

This is why they haven't annouced so much besides a few info on Crystal Bearers and they are in the works of Soul Eater. If they bring a hardcore game out of the blue of course it will not sell as high as expected. They need to "introduce" themselves first.

With games like Arc Rise Fantasia, Rune Factory Frontier, Tales of Simphonia 2, Sword of Legandia and Monster Hunter 3, the possibility of being the RPG king on the platform is possible. Is a chance they just can't miss and they need a known franchise to deliver. What I can't determine is which one