By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 2 New Star Ocean 4 Screens + Artwork

ZenfoldorVGI said:
steven787 said:
FTR, usually I prefer FF but I did buy 12, and 12 did suck. Production qualities are great in 12 and get 10/10. The gameplay 7/10. The graphics in game 8/10. The fun factor and story 4/10.

12 didn't suck bro. Lemme tell ya, and this is what I use irl to talk to FF haters about, and don't take anything personally, I'm drunk, and I honestly don't hold anything against people who didn't like XII and VIII.

I have inside information on this subject. At first, I also hated FFXII, FFTactics, Vagrant Story, and FFVIII.

Then, after a long time had passed, I found myself going back to them just to give them another day in the sun, and this time, going strictly by a guide to finish the games(or multiple guides to be more precise).

I found that in all of those games, you needed to play a certain way from the very start to get that feeling of power and level increasing that you found in other games. Once you learned how the games were meant to be played(which I didn't learn in any of my initial playthroughs) they actually have very complex and rewarding battle systems.

For instance, the first step in VIII begins before you even head to the cave to defeat Infrit, where you should stand around outside and draw 100 fires, 100 cures, and 100 blizzards, which you can then junction to make yourself much more powerful. The purpose of FFVIII is basically to do limit breaks for every move in combat. Did you know that you can get to the end with only gaining like 1 level? It has a very high entry barrier, but with help, you'll have an amazing time with the game, I promise you this.

The thing about final fantasy is, it's never what we expect it to be. It's never gonna be FFVII or FFVI again(essentially the game game, despite perception of ff fanboys).

However, the new games are amazing as well, most people just get a bad first impression and never really learn how the game is meant to be played.

I'll be the first to say, FFXII has an average story and terrible character development. However, if given time, it has one of the best gameplay systems ever in a game. It's as good as Vagrant Story and FFTactics.

Believe it or not, that gameplay element has more than enough power to drive you through the whole game, it's very diablo 2 esque, which means that I clocked over 105 hours in the game and never even beat the weapon.

When I hear most people say FFXII sucks, or FFVIII sucks, I been there bro. I was right there with you, but luckily for myself, I had the feeling one day to say, "You know what, even though I thought it sucked, I bet there is something good there for me," and I went back and played it and I had the time of my life.

So, you can bet FFXIII isnt' gonna be what you, or most sony fanboys expect. However, there will be something there for me, and if that thing is as substantial as it was in FFXII, then I consider myself very lucky, because despite popular opinion and freshness of current games, FFXII still really blows MGS4 and GTAIV out of the water, when it comes to gameplay, depth, and sheer available playtime and fun.

That's the difference between the immediate gratification demanded by american gamers, and the subtle excellent tones perscribed by the best Japanese developers.

The most obvious exception is RE4, which despite its excellence is a very "american" japanese game.

Those are just my sentiments. I'm, again, very drunk.

I'm hoping this is not the real reason people dislike ff12 and ffviii (my personal favorite) because if this is it then it just shows that they really don't know how to play the game and probably shouldn't even be playing JRPGs period.  I hate when people pick a game up thats in a genre they don't know or care about, try to play it and fail miserably and then end up ranting about how much the game sucks!

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network
selnor said:
Pristine20 said:
swyggi said:
@Pristine20

Easy now, control the anger.

The number of people rising to the "insult FF occasion" is just ticking my nerves! Its almost as if I alone bought the 5 mil copies of FF12 lol.

Oh no, I bought it but havent touched it since about 20 hours in. What I found when you get past the graphics is a shallow meaningless game. I will be playing FF13 at my mates before I dive into another wasted hle in my pocket.

More research before making a purchase helps. Shallow meaningless game or gameplay I couldn't understand and story I dislike? Which would it be? If we use the literal definition of "meaning" anyway, how many "good" games have meaning? Give me one and I'll use your logic to prove it meaningless as well.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

steven787 said:
FTR, usually I prefer FF but I did buy 12, and 12 did suck. Production qualities are great in 12 and get 10/10. The gameplay 7/10. The graphics in game 8/10. The fun factor and story 4/10.

The game and story were just not fun and not engaging to me (IMO), just like the entire SO series (IMO).

If you like SO or FFXII, good for you, I am glad that you have a game you like. I just don't like all the posters calling non-fans crazy, etc.

I'm glad you see both series in the same light because they are similar in many respects with FF having better production quality. Its the people that think SO>>>FF with no concrete proof whatsoever that are bothering me not those who never cared for such games. 

Screen shots look gorgeous. Nice to see this game coming along well.

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.

Pristine20 said:
steven787 said:

The game and story were just not fun and not engaging to me (IMO), just like the entire SO series (IMO).

If you like SO or FFXII, good for you, I am glad that you have a game you like. I just don't like all the posters calling non-fans crazy, etc.

I'm glad you see both series in the same light because they are similar in many respects with FF having better production quality. Its the people that think SO>>>FF with no concrete proof whatsoever that are bothering me not those who never cared for such games.

Star Ocean 3 had some flaws that prevent it from being as good as many games in the FF series. i.e backtracking, love it/hate it story(and plot twist), the plot twist(while good IMO) needed some fleshing out, and the use of MP death

I am not seeing why people think SO is better than FF when the truth is it is actually the other way around

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
Riachu said:
sc94597 said:
FF used to be my favorite rpg series, but after they made XI an mmo, and XII horrible(imo) I don't have to much hopes for FFXIII. Now I'm finding alot of rpgs that are better than my favorite FF(VI) and I think the series is overrated. Especially by people who never played an FF game. Also I don't like the direction the series is taking, they are focusing too much on the visuals, and characters and forgetting the game play a lot of the time. FFXII had almost nothing that would distinguish it as a final fantasy and I really hope they go back to the roots with FFXIV. Also why is shiva a motorcycle? Seriously. I hope the series does become as good as I use to think it was again. As for star ocean, I never played it, but this does look like it will be quality, and It COULD be better than XIII to some. Aslo at the person who said " there are many action-adventures to play other than zelda. There aren't any that play the same. Okami is similar to zelda, but different, metroid prime 3 is really different from zelda, Uncharted the same, and GTAIV also the same. So there isn't anywhere else where you could get the zelda experience, but there are many rpgs that take the FF style. So I think you should use another example.

FFXII is still a FF game at heart.  Sure, the story isn't as good and the main characters, with the exception of Bathier, are bland but the game is still great because of its gameplay

The gameplay was the main reason why I hated it. FIrstly I like turnbased rpgs better than real time ones. Secondly The gambit system was horrible imo. I felt like I wasnlt playing the game.

The gambit system was OPTIONAL. It was there as a cure for horrible AI. You should have simply "skipped" the game  instead of damning it because it isn't built for your taste.

bobobologna said:
Wait a minute. Why are some of you guys so damn excited for the FOURTH entry into an RPG series? mrstickball, have you ever played SO1/2/3? I mean, you obviously are very excited for this game, and looking at your games list, you clearly have a PS2. So you must have played the game, not liked it enough to add it to your games list, and yet are mysteriously excited for the fourth entry. Or you have never played it, and are getting excited about the fourth game in an RPG series for no particular reason. I mean, forgive me if I'm wrong, and you loved SO3 and just never added it to your list, but from what I can tell, it's one of the 2 scenarios I presented.

This is the main reason I was smelling x360 fanboyism and/or ps3 hate because as of now, basically, FF=PS3 and SO3=x360

selnor said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
Torillian said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
Aw man, every 360 jrpg thread gets trolled by guys just spamming FF13FF13FF13 all over.

Anyways, that dragon shot might be in-engine cutscene but I doubt it's a gameplay shot, it's just way too good looking. Now here's hoping there's more sc-fi stuff in the game instead of being stuck in backwater primitive planets for most of the game.

Hard to bitch about that kind of thing when your OP calls out FF. That's like me putting up an R2 thread, flippantly saying that it's quality makes GeoW unnecessary, and then bitching about people telling me I'm wrong.

Sigh....I need to follow my own advice to Pristine it seems.

Sure the OP might have called it for this thread, but just check back - there's plenty of jrpg topics on this forum without mentions to FF that had "the usual suspects" raining all over it with FFF13FF13FF13 all 360 jrpgs don't matter FF13FF13FF13.

As an RPG fan I would take LO,BD,ES,SO4,IU,TLR,TOV and ME ove FF13 anyday. All those games are exclusive to 360 in one way or another.

Bolded: thanks for clarifying. those JRPGs are all better now because they come in a green case. Now I understand your "opinion"

sc94597 said:
Pristine20 said:
sc94597 said:
FF used to be my favorite rpg series, but after they made XI an mmo, and XII horrible(imo) I don't have to much hopes for FFXIII. Now I'm finding alot of rpgs that are better than my favorite FF(VI) and I think the series is overrated. Especially by people who never played an FF game. Also I don't like the direction the series is taking, they are focusing too much on the visuals, and characters and forgetting the game play a lot of the time. FFXII had almost nothing that would distinguish it as a final fantasy and I really hope they go back to the roots with FFXIV. Also why is shiva a motorcycle? Seriously. I hope the series does become as good as I use to think it was again. As for star ocean, I never played it, but this does look like it will be quality, and It COULD be better than XIII to some. Aslo at the person who said " there are many action-adventures to play other than zelda. There aren't any that play the same. Okami is similar to zelda, but different, metroid prime 3 is really different from zelda, Uncharted the same, and GTAIV also the same. So there isn't anywhere else where you could get the zelda experience, but there are many rpgs that take the FF style. So I think you should use another example.

So when they make one that you don't like, the series becomes overrated regardless of how many people still like it? Its okay to like something else but putting down FF for it is unacceptable. You blame FF because other RPG's copy its style? Its seems to me that they're copying its style because of its appel thus making it an excellent series just like after gears introduce the cover system, it was copied left and right. You're quick to damn FF but ready to praise Star Ocean that you've never played because of two screenshots?

Make one I don't like? Let me see. These are my opinions on each of the gams since the Snes. 

IV= Exellent but there is better.

V= Never played too much into it, but I liked it.

VI- My favorite, and in my top ten rpgs, but I've played better.

VII- Average imo, and the most overated of the series.

VIII- It was pretty bad compared to others in the series, but still ok.

IX- Excellent game, but still better.

X- Good.

XI- I only played it once, but hated that they made a main series FF an mmo.

XII- Horrible, battle system, story, and left out most of what made FF an FF game.

Now tell me that based on my opinions I don't think its overrated. When people say FFXIII will be the best rpg this gen, and nothing will come even close because its a main series final fantasy, that isn't overrating? They act like nothing can come even close to it, but there are many games that have and surpassed it. Also did you read my post at all? I said star ocean looks like it could be the better  game to some people and seems to have alot of effort put into it. Is that praising it?

but the keyword is that you claim FF is overrated yet praise Star Ocean THAT YOU NEVER PLAYED  because you saw 2 screens of the next iteration.  You failed to address that. Since you chose to judge by the last iteration of FF, I'll use the same yard stick. If you condemn FF12, I'm sorry I don't see the redeeming values in SO3. Prove them to me and I'll rest my case. It'll take you a long tome though because you'll have to play through SO3 like I've done. 

Nobody has shown why star ocean would suddenly trump FF. Its all in the green case as things stand.

sc94597 said:
pearljammer said:
sc94597 said:

First bolded: Uh, are you sure you have that the right way? FFXI and XII focused very little on character and very much on gameplay and is partially responsible for the the game(s) ill response. I would argue most love FF for its characters, its stories, and its overall atmosphere for that reason alone Second bolded: That isn't what I said. Please do not misquote me. The OP said that while having SO4, who would need FF. Now if you had played SO, you would know that it isn't much like FF at all, other than they are both RPG's. I just simply said that the two comments were analogous in that both series offer distinct playing experiences.

Third bolded: Sure you can say that FF has more clones, I certainly wouldn't argue. Typically, what seperates FF from other RPG's are its characters, its worlds, story, but rarely its gameplay. Hell, most RPG's play the same, namely turn-based RPG's. Experience and style are very much two different things. I don't think there is anywhere else I can get either a FF or Zelda experience but there are many games where I can see their style:

FF- Lost Oddyssey

Zelda- Shadow of the Colossus, Dark Cloud

I think the example is more than adequate.

I agree with everything else other than the first statement. If square-enix tried so much to bring gameplay, I would have had more fun with the game. Imo the battle sytem of FFXII is horrible, and doesn't suit the series at all. Firstly I love turn-base more than real time so I may be a little bias there, but the gambit system was like it was playing for you. There was far more grinding than most FF games, and there was less of a Final Fantasy atmosphere. Now if they were truly trying to focus on the gameplay I would expect much better. As for everything else the characters were dull, the story was horrible, and like I said before there was barely anything in the game that is recognizable of FF. So I believe the game failed on all aspects. At least FFXIII seems to got rid of some of the stuff I hated by FFXII judging by that short amount of gameplay footage.

FFs are not the same. Many people like vii and hate viii as well. It was obvious from the screens of the game how it was going to turn out. You should have just "skipped" FFxii like I did to FFxi. The gambits were an honest attempt to create a useful AI but you DIDN'T have to use them.