By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 2 New Star Ocean 4 Screens + Artwork

selnor said:
Riachu said:
pearljammer said:
sc94597 said:
FF used to be my favorite rpg series, but after they made XI an mmo, and XII horrible(imo) I don't have to much hopes for FFXIII. Now I'm finding alot of rpgs that are better than my favorite FF(VI) and I think the series is overrated. Especially by people who never played an FF game. Also I don't like the direction the series is taking, they are focusing too much on the visuals, and characters and forgetting the game play a lot of the time. FFXII had almost nothing that would distinguish it as a final fantasy and I really hope they go back to the roots with FFXIV. Also why is shiva a motorcycle? Seriously. I hope the series does become as good as I use to think it was again. As for star ocean, I never played it, but this does look like it will be quality, and It COULD be better than XIII to some. Aslo at the person who said " there are many action-adventures to play other than zelda. There aren't any that play the same. Okami is similar to zelda, but different, metroid prime 3 is really different from zelda, Uncharted the same, and GTAIV also the same. So there isn't anywhere else where you could get the zelda experience, but there are many rpgs that take the FF style. So I think you should use another example.

First bolded: Uh, are you sure you have that the right way? FFXI and XII focused very little on character and very much on gameplay and is partially responsible for the the game(s) ill response. I would argue most love FF for its characters, its stories, and its overall atmosphere for that reason alone.

Second bolded: That isn't what I said. Please do not misquote me. The OP said that while having SO4, who would need FF. Now if you had played SO, you would know that it isn't much like FF at all, other than they are both RPG's. I just simply said that the two comments were analogous in that both series offer distinct playing experiences.

Third bolded: Sure you can say that FF has more clones, I certainly wouldn't argue. Typically, what seperates FF from other RPG's are its characters, its worlds, story, but rarely its gameplay. Hell, most RPG's play the same, namely turn-based RPG's. Experience and style are very much two different things. I don't think there is anywhere else I can get either a FF or Zelda experience but there are many games where I can see their style:

FF- Lost Oddyssey

Zelda- Shadow of the Colossus, Dark Cloud

I think the example is more than adequate.

Agreed. Lost Odyssey is the closest we have to a JRPG that has the same style as FF

Probably because the creator of FF is the creator of LO

Lol. Yep. That's what we were getting at. The only game that may truly 'feel' like FF is one that was created by the Gooch, himself.

Around the Network
Videogirl said:

Wow a guy with a sword and a girl with a bow, that looks soo much different than Infinite Undiscovery. /sarcasm

Wow, moaning about RPG weapons is like, soo original and clever. What would developers do without you? /sarcasm

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

ZenfoldorVGI said:

FTR, usually I prefer FF but I did buy 12, and 12 did suck. Production qualities are great in 12 and get 10/10. The gameplay 7/10. The graphics in game 8/10. The fun factor and story 4/10.

(I typed more Zen edited it out, it was about not liking a game doesn't make you a rabid fanboy, you can find it if you want to see my whole explanation on page 3)

12 didn't suck bro. Lemme tell ya, and this is what I use irl to talk to FF haters about, and don't take anything personally, I'm drunk, and I honestly don't hold anything against people who didn't like XII and VIII.

I have inside information on this subject. At first, I also hated FFXII, FFTactics, Vagrant Story, and FFVIII.

Then, after a long time had passed, I found myself going back to them just to give them another day in the sun, and this time, going strictly by a guide to finish the games(or multiple guides to be more precise).

I found that in all of those games, you needed to play a certain way from the very start to get that feeling of power and level increasing that you found in other games. Once you learned how the games were meant to be played(which I didn't learn in any of my initial playthroughs) they actually have very complex and rewarding battle systems.

For instance, the first step in VIII begins before you even head to the cave to defeat Infrit, where you should stand around outside and draw 100 fires, 100 cures, and 100 blizzards, which you can then junction to make yourself much more powerful. The purpose of FFVIII is basically to do limit breaks for every move in combat. Did you know that you can get to the end with only gaining like 1 level? It has a very high entry barrier, but with help, you'll have an amazing time with the game, I promise you this.

The thing about final fantasy is, it's never what we expect it to be. It's never gonna be FFVII or FFVI again(essentially the game game, despite perception of ff fanboys).

However, the new games are amazing as well, most people just get a bad first impression and never really learn how the game is meant to be played.

I'll be the first to say, FFXII has an average story and terrible character development. However, if given time, it has one of the best gameplay systems ever in a game. It's as good as Vagrant Story and FFTactics.

Believe it or not, that gameplay element has more than enough power to drive you through the whole game, it's very diablo 2 esque, which means that I clocked over 105 hours in the game and never even beat the weapon.

When I hear most people say FFXII sucks, or FFVIII sucks, I been there bro. I was right there with you, but luckily for myself, I had the feeling one day to say, "You know what, even though I thought it sucked, I bet there is something good there for me," and I went back and played it and I had the time of my life.

So, you can bet FFXIII isnt' gonna be what you, or most sony fanboys expect. However, there will be something there for me, and if that thing is as substantial as it was in FFXII, then I consider myself very lucky, because despite popular opinion and freshness of current games, FFXII still really blows MGS4 and GTAIV out of the water, when it comes to gameplay, depth, and sheer available playtime and fun.

That's the difference between the immediate gratification demanded by american gamers, and the subtle excellent tones perscribed by the best Japanese developers.

The most obvious exception is RE4, which despite its excellence is a very "american" japanese game.

Those are just my sentiments. I'm, again, very drunk.

Very good argument for being drunk.

But it wasn't the gameplay.  For me a 7/10 is pretty good for FF.  Actually, for me, anything other than a mario platformer with 6.5+ is awesome.  I am really picky on gameplay.  FFXII battles and map exploration was absolutely fantastic (for a final fantasy game) and was more engaging than most RPGs.  The problem was the characters and story ruined it for me.  It started out so good too, I liked the characters more than the one's from 10.  But then they lost me...  It was right after the airship, and I just couldn't care anymore.  Too many settings didn't fit it, the characters lost their appeal, blah blah blah.  My opinion.... remember I posted this to prove that not all the people who dislike these games are crazy fanboys.

As far as SO, I never could get in to any of them.  They always look so nice and are so highly rated that I am compelled to try them, and I never like them.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Its sad all the sony fanboys are throwing riots because people like SO more then FF. FF will most likely be a fantastic RPG this gen, but you cant guerentee that it will be the best this gen.

Microsoft fanboys should stop saying its greater then FF just cause SO is exclusive to their console. If its your opinion because you really do like it more then thats fine.

Personally? I like FF series more, though SO is fantastic. but if FF 13 sucks monkey balls like FF 12 then SO any day of the weak and then some.

Owner of all consoles cept DS.....Currently in love with prototype!

Why do character models and inanimate objects give off light in so many 360 games?

Around the Network
ClaudeLv250 said:
Videogirl said:

Wow a guy with a sword and a girl with a bow, that looks soo much different than Infinite Undiscovery. /sarcasm

Wow, moaning about RPG weapons is like, soo original and clever. What would developers do without you? /sarcas

I wasn't moaning about RPG weapons, but the resemblance, and the obvious lack of imagination of Tri Ace developpers regarding main characters. They could at least have chosen a different hairstyle.

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

Why do character models and inanimate objects give off light in so many 360 games?

Because they didn't build in a budget GPU inside the 360 T_T

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

^^Nice.

Bingoo said:
Its sad all the sony fanboys are throwing riots because people like SO more then FF. FF will most likely be a fantastic RPG this gen, but you cant guerentee that it will be the best this gen.

Microsoft fanboys should stop saying its greater then FF just cause SO is exclusive to their console. If its your opinion because you really do like it more then thats fine.

Personally? I like FF series more, though SO is fantastic. but if FF 13 sucks monkey balls like FF 12 then SO any day of the weak and then some.

I like SO but it is definitely not my favorite RPG series.  My favorite is Kingdom Hearts, followed by Final Fantasy(my personal opinion)

mrstickball said:
Pristine20 said:
mrstickball said:
Earlier question about disc size and RPGs:

For BD and LO (I own both, mind you), the reason they were 3-4 disks wasn't due to the size of the games, but entirely due to the cutscenes. Both games had at least 1hr, if not close to 2hrs, of HD cutscenes. Since HD cutscenes take up, oh, 3-4x more memory than an SD cutscene...You can fill a regular size DVD very quickly (which is why many PS3 games, ala MGS4, have many cutscenes).

About "who needs FF", my reasoning is that SO4 looks awesome. Everyone bills the Final Fantasy series as some sort of un-touchable mammoth of a series. However, SO4 looks awesome, and is actually taking a Sci-Fi approach to the RPG genre, rather than a half-cocked one that FF and other carbon-copies take. This makes me excited that we might see a game do Sci-Fi right.

Half-cocked? For starters, SO3 started off looking sci-fi but ended up with the main character crashing on a medeival planet and using swords and guns anyway in typical FF-type scenarios so in a way, its also somewhat of a carbon copy. Secondly, FF is highly respected as a series because it created the JRPG crowd that now exists today. I preferred SMT:DDS & DDS2 to FF12 but they are all excellent games so there's no need to put one down to praise the other.

I'm referring to the oh-so many (especially FF anymore) "industrial/magical revolution" ideas that seemed to begin when FF6 came about, that mix magical devices with rennisance-era machinery. I'm getting sick of it all, really. Even LO was that way. Either give me Fantasy (FF9, Tales of) or Sci-Fi (Mass Effect, Phantasy Star)

But the "industrial/magic revolution" may have become a core theme in FF. However, FF is one of the most flexible series so this might change. Also, Mass Effect shouldn't be compared to FF because WRPG and JRPG are very different genres. I don't know anything about phantasy star so I won't speak for that one. But in regards to FF9, to me, it should be called FF:crystal something and should have been on n64 because the art style fits that description and FFXI should have been called FF:MMO. Those are the final fantasies that are the most questionable from their appearance.

I've only played tales of the abyss among the tales series and I find it funny that people who hate FF12's battle system love this series because the gameplay was frankly almost reduced to a button-mash fest. The characters moved awkwardly in battle and sometimes you couldn't understand what you were targeting. The A.I. also sucked which is why I greatly appreciate FF12's gambit system. I give it credit for the story though...it sure was better than FF12's

From the look of things, it seems like the new traditional FFs are just not to your liking so you probably should just "skip" them but its not necessary to bash them because as I'll reiterate, we can hopefully all agree that this series defined what a JRPG should be and the production that goes into development of these games are unrivaled.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler