By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Do you guys go back to old school games because...

I'm a gamer from way back in the Atari 2600 days, but honestly I find it difficult to go back to many "old school" games. Most of them are much better in my memory than in reality. When I play them again, I usually come away disappointed. The ones that have stood the test of time for me often make me feel like I really suck. It's weird. Games I was able to totally thrash when I was around 12 yrs. old give or take a few years totally kick my ass now. It's like I lost my ability to skillfully play 2-D games such as Mario 3 or the old Megaman games.

Keep this in mind when reading what I type...

I've been gaming longer than many of you have been alive.

Around the Network

Not always, sometimes i do it just because.. they're awsome! :)

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

I play my NES and SNES a lot. Because there are so many excellent games... And for some reason some of these games I was able to beat easily as a kid are kicking my ass now XP

the_bloodwalker said:
I play my NES and SNES a lot. Because there are so many excellent games... And for some reason some of these games I was able to beat easily as a kid are kicking my ass now XP

Precisely what I was saying.  It's like the freedom of 3-D movement in games that allows us to move/dodge in multiple directions has made us soft and unable to cope with only having the option of left and right.

Keep this in mind when reading what I type...

I've been gaming longer than many of you have been alive.

every now and then I replay Deus Ex. And I still want to finish Baldur's Gate II someday.

Around the Network

I think I'm actually better at Legend of Zelda now days, but yeah I get rusty at Space Invaders and Phoenix if I haven't played in a while, Tecmo Bowl as well. It all has to do with Muscle memory. However, when I go back to old games I'm dissapointed not because I feel they are lame, it's because it makes me feel that the newer games are lame. It's like when I was a kid I imagine that the games in the future would be way better and more fun. Now it's like ok, the graphics are way beyond, but they really arent as fun, or carefully crafted (well at least with the better games anyway). I still wonder what it would be like if they just straight up 3Dd the original Super Mario Bros and especially Castlevania and just kept them the same basic game (they might have to Sonicize them to give them the right effect but to me thats what would be sweet).

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

I just noticed, why is this in the PC forums????

pichu_pichu said:
I just noticed, why is this in the PC forums????

Because he was talking about PC games weirdo!

Meh at the time I was thinking about pc games o well :P the deeds been done

I do go back and play old school games. It's rarely due to a sequel though. There are just so many great games I own that it would be a shame to just let them sit there unplayed.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)