By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Cell processor can even locate oil

Million said:
Rock_on_2008 said:
bardicverse said:
Rock_on_2008 said:

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/07/01/ps3s-cell-processor-helps-locate-oil/

Proves the PS3 can do everything. No more oil life ceases to exist.

Ok Rock, I usually let you go with your crazy statements, but explain to me how you came up with the thought that not having oil will stop life.

Modern man is so dependent upon oil that there will be no back up plan if oil was to completely run out. Oil is needed for everything.

I think us running out of oil would pretty much destablise every major economy in the world unless there were some alternative fuel sources.

Alternative fuel source are not efficient enough. It would take too long to develop and mass produce alternate energy source. Wind, solar, thermal, nuclear, hydro-electric, etc lol. Nope

Oil supplies will all be used up within 40 years. 2050 no more oil. Leading up to then the oil price will sky rocket. Nothing can stop that.

Around the Network
Rock_on_2008 said:

Modern man is so dependent upon oil that there will be no back up plan if oil was to completely run out. Oil is needed for everything.

Sure, if oil was to run out this year, I could agree. Yet, there are so many patents and things sitting on shelves that we could probably switch to an all electric system within a few years for cars, switch to gas or electric heat for our houses. Oil is slowly being phased out (VERY slowly), but to say that life would cease, that's kinda far fetched. Think about it - we still have other means of transportation that dont require oil - trains, bikes, skateboards, horses. We have other forms of heat - wood, gas, electric. We would learn to adapt, which is part of what humans do

I'm Scared.

End of 2008 Sales:

Wii- 39 Million 360- 25Million PS3- 22 Million

PSN: papasmurf5721

bardicverse said:
Rock_on_2008 said:

Sure, if oil was to run out this year, I could agree. Yet, there are so many patents and things sitting on shelves that we could probably switch to an all electric system within a few years for cars, switch to gas or electric heat for our houses. Oil is slowly being phased out (VERY slowly), but to say that life would cease, that's kinda far fetched. Think about it - we still have other means of transportation that dont require oil - trains, bikes, skateboards, horses. We have other forms of heat - wood, gas, electric. We would learn to adapt, which is part of what humans do

I don't think you understand the price of the depletion of oil. Every car must be replaced, every gas station must be replaced etc. Also the majority of natural gas is formed where oil is found.

The food industry will also suffer - currently it is totally reliant on oil and natural gas. The main consumer is the process of Ammonia used for fertiliser in the Haber process. A Geologist has predicted that once oil supplies run low in the next few decades, the whole world will suffer unprecedented famine. He states that the world population must be reduced by two thirds to avoid disaster.

Shameless said:
bardicverse said:
Rock_on_2008 said:

I don't think you understand the price of the depletion of oil. Every car must be replaced, every gas station must be replaced etc. Also the majority of natural gas is formed where oil is found.

The food industry will also suffer - currently it is totally reliant on oil and natural gas. The main consumer is the process of Ammonia used for fertiliser in the Haber process. A Geologist has predicted that once oil supplies run low in the next few decades, the whole world will suffer unprecedented famine. He states that the world population must be reduced by two thirds to avoid disaster.

Quite a drastic measure there.

Around the Network

the cell holds the ultimate power

without cells nothing would exist anyways.

^ignore the above

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Ok so I read this article....and they're just using some computer with some cell processor, that I'm not sure is even the same model as is in the PS3. So in essence, why the fuck do I care? This doesn't mean my PS3 can locate oil, if just means that some computer with a few design specifications that sorta resemble my Ps3 can locate oil. It's like if everything with motion controls was atributed to be something the Wii did. Surgery is being done with motion controls from across the country, obviously this means the Wii is awesome, even though the motion controls were in no way related to the Wiimote and were actually far more precise and better (not a slight at the Wii, I just think the motion controls should be more exact before someone does surgery with them)

They need to quit making a big deal out of every use of the Cell, imo.

I live in Calgary and have worked on a couple of projects that are directly/indirectly related to finding potential oil deposits using geological and geomatic data. I know of companies that have used Sun Spark systems, Linux Clusters, and Blade servers to run programs that crunch the data.

Personally, I would question the use of the Cell processor because there doesn't seem to be any (obvious) benefit of it over the other choices and there are few developers in the world who are experienced enough to get solid performance out of it (in comparison to the experience on the alternative platforms).

Shameless said:
bardicverse said:
Rock_on_2008 said:

We wont get that far tho! The world is going to end in 2012 =)

What really needs to happen is independent living - sustainance farming, solar/wind energy for housing and vehicles, 100% recycling in each country. If we are less dependent, we can survive seperate of what happens on the world stage

I should ask it to do my homework for me.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson