By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is DVD-9 enough this generation?

Br = no load times in Uncharted, the whole world is streamed of the disk.

ahh can your dvd-9 do it, um NO.

Around the Network
Blue3 said:

More importantly, does my DVD-9 need to do that, um NO.

gballzack, Sony in "everything" they do arent as "monopolistic" as Microsoft. Sony do Electronic products, movies, music, video games... and we all know that there's great competition everywhere... They dont make huge profit like Microsoft who has already killed the competition and use it to kill other competitor in other market... Look at Microsoft history... there's much to say too.

So talking about control and power with Microsoft around is a little strange for me... Im very surprised.

And something that is true for the two... unmaterial movies are worst for consummer than Blu Ray... you have no control and cant resell... And Microsoft push that first...

To finish I dont understand the debate... the blu ray has a real reason to exist... you need it to fill the resolution of HD-TV. The goal is not to sell you again your DVD movies but be prepared for futur films with quality... it's the same for the sound... Better image, better sound... what's wrong? soon it will have the same price as DVD... it's a normal evolution and a nice thing for hd-tv owner... I dont think it's more a trojan horse than Direct X 10 for Vista, msn on 360, Live Anywhere, or Windows in every PC... Blu Ray movies make money for a lot more company than just Sony... The PS3 is built to have a long life it's normal for it to have a Blu Ray drive and it will be good for games there's no doubt.

Sony is known in electronic for image, audio and video... Im happy that they choosed to be ahead with an ambitious PS3 with HDMI 1.3 and Blu Ray.
Price will go down and everyone will be happy... Sony dont force you to buy.. they support the PS2...

nicomcm, welcome to the forum.  Please stay around.  You made a lot of great points about the PS3.

Gballzack said:
Blue3 said:

it CANT do it, cause of its lack of space.

no one wants loads times.

Around the Network
Blue3 said:
Gballzack said:
Blue3 said:

But is it an absolute necessity at this point in gaming that there be no load time what-so-ever? No. A luxury is a luxury, not a necessity. And while we'd all like faster loading games, I think most gamers can live with DVD-9. The real issue here isn't what Blu-Ray can do better but whether or not Blu-Ray is an absolute necessity or just an expensive luxury.

nicomcm said:
gballzack, Sony in "everything" they do arent as "monopolistic" as Microsoft. Sony do Electronic products, movies, music, video games... and we all know that there's great competition everywhere... They dont make huge profit like Microsoft who has already killed the competition and use it to kill other competitor in other market... Look at Microsoft history... there's much to say too.

Nicomcm since you're new to posting here I'll fill you in on the situation here.  Gballzack is a *major* Nintendo fan(girl?) who obviously thinks Nintendo can do no wrong while Microsoft and Sony (damn them!) can do no right.  So no worries that she's letting Microsoft off the hook since you'll likely see her try to rain on the parade of any new 360 release by claiming it's either:

a) A boring uncreative first person shooter played by potty mouthed boys and other immature people.

or 

b) That it looks like crap (even if it is gorgeous) and that artistic designed games look better and she'll no doubt mention one of the Zelda games from the gamecube and hold it's graphics up as superior.

or

c) That it's not a new IP so it's just rehashing old stuff (don't bother mentioning Mario Party 8, Super Mario 22, Zelda 11 and Pokemon 18 since they're from Nintendo so they get a free pass).

Anyways welcome to the forum!

Legend11 said:
nicomcm said:

Nicomcm since you're new to posting here I'll fill you in on the situation here.  Gballzack is a *major* Nintendo fan(girl?) who obviously thinks Nintendo can do no wrong while Microsoft and Sony (damn them!) can do no right.  So no worries that she's letting Microsoft off the hook since you'll likely see her try to rain on the parade of any new 360 release by claiming it's either:

a) A boring uncreative first person shooter played by potty mouthed boys and other immature people.

or 

b) That it looks like crap (even if it is gorgeous) and that artisic designed games look better and she'll no doubt mention one of the Zelda games from the gamecube and hold it's graphics up as superior.

or

c) That it's not a new IP so it's just rehashing old stuff (don't bother mentioning Mario Party 8, Super Mario 22, Zelda 11 and Pokemon 18 since they're from Nintendo so they get a free pass).

Anyways welcome to the forum!

Oh look, a shallow attack on my character. Isn't that much easier than actually responding to anything I have to say and proving the validity of your claims anyway in the slightest? :) Funny, last time you and I had a debate you ended up erasing all your replies in the debate (despite the fact they had all been quoted) and dissapeared from the forum for two weeks.

Perhaps you'd like to explain to nicomcm why Dryden agrees with me on the issue too, or for that matter why he was the one who originally raised the point in this discussion, not I. :)

If its okay with you I'd like to keep this thread somewhat vaguely on topic or do you intend on turning it into a complete and all out flame war like so many before?

Ok I'll keep this on topic. Basically the answer to the original question is that so far dvd-9 is enough. Of course we don't know what the future holds so maybe down the line the PS3 will have some amazing games that simply can't be done on dvd-9 but that set the bar high enough that gamers will start asking or wishing for blu-ray in non-Sony consoles.

Gballzack said:
Blue3 said:
Gballzack said:
Blue3 said:

But is it an absolute necessity at this point in gaming that there be no load time what-so-ever? No. A luxury is a luxury, not a necessity. And while we'd all like faster loading games, I think most gamers can live with DVD-9. The real issue here isn't what Blu-Ray can do better but whether or not Blu-Ray is an absolute necessity or just an expensive luxury.

Is a wiimote really a necessity?  No.  Please stop diminishing great features.