By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii is as powerful as original Xbox

Finally we can lay this controversy to rest since FIFA producer Tim Tschirner, who has worked on games for both the original Xbox and Wii, has stated that the Wii is about as powerful as the original Xbox.  Hopefully this silences the critics who said the original Xbox was more powerful, they're pretty much equal so get over it.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=25781

FIFA producer Tim Tschirner has said that he believes the Nintendo Wii matches up to the first Xbox in terms of power.

Tschirner's comments came in an exclusive interview with GamesIndustry.biz's sister site, Eurogamer.net

"It's about as powerful as the original Xbox," he said. "The video hardware unfortunately is not as powerful. There's just a couple of key things that you can do on Xbox like shaders which you just cannot do on the Wii... Overall though it's pretty much what the original Xbox was."

Around the Network

Next-gen? Busted !

Not again!? We already have one closed thread about this, courtesy of Blue, and an open one discussing the original article which was about what's great in FIFA 08 Wii, and not about bashing the Wii.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

Didn't we know this already.

Anyways the thing is the GC was not as powerful as the original Xbox yet some of the games it produced were at if not above Xbox level. Also I remember Miyamota saying that only 75% of the GC hardware was ever used. It's not always about raw power but how you use what ya got. I mean look at some late PS2 games.

Point is Wii is a branch off the GC in architecture meaning that it should have the same incredible efficiency levels that GC did. But you know like all consoles unlocking full power always comes in later waves down the road not at the beginning.

kber81 said:
Next-gen? Busted !

What are you talking about.  N6, PS4, and Xbox 3 aren't even out yet.  Hell I haven't heard anything about it.  So why are you talking about the next gen.  8th generation is a long way off buddy.  Keep dreaming.

Around the Network
Zucas said:
kber81 said:
Next-gen? Busted !

What are you talking about. N6, PS4, and Xbox 3 aren't even out yet. Hell I haven't heard anything about it. So why are you talking about the next gen. 8th generation is a long way off buddy. Keep dreaming.

Sorry... Current-gen? Busted !

kber81 said:
Next-gen? Busted !

And yet it is still dominating the console market.  Imagine that.

kber81 said:
Next-gen? Busted !

You sure do derive a lot of pleasure from this. Except I'm not even sure what this is. The Wii isn't as powerfull as the 360 and PS3... We knew that...

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

For what it was designed to do (multi-textured polygons with built in lighting effects) the Gamecube had far better graphical hardware than the XBox but the programmable shaders on the XBox meant that it could prodce a lot of effects the Gamecube never could. This is the reason why certain games that were designed for the Gamecube were much prettier than XBox games yet most PC ports looked far better on the XBox.

The Wii is simply an extention of the Gamecube hardware and likely has similar limitations ... Games designed around the Wii's capabilities will likely look far better than anything produced for the XBox.

kber81 said:
Next-gen? Busted !

Because the industry has given an official definition of next gen, that excludes controls, and only mentions specs[/extreme sarcasm]

You liar. It isn't busted as next gen, and you know it. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs