By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii is as powerful as original Xbox

Go Wii Go!!!

Around the Network

If innovation is the measure of a new generation then I guess the power glove was its own generation since it was innovative.

The argument whether the Wii is next gen or not doesn't really matter in the end because the Wii is not trying to compete graphically.

The bigger problem is if the Wii changes to focus of the video game business towards casual non-gamers then this is a problem... I mean fuckin Ubisoft is making a game called BABYZ

BABYZ?????????

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Graphics don't matter and blah blah, but please stop arguing that the Wii has current-gen graphics.  It clearly does not.  I'm glad we had this argument before and people tried to tell me that the Wii's architecture was superior so it was probably much more powerful than an xbox, despite the specs saying otherwise.

The controller, btw, is not innovative.  Hear me out, please.  It's old technology, but the risk of using it as the main control scheme is obviously paying off.  I personally would like the choice to use a normal controller as well because I don't feel like the Wiimote/nunchuck is the ideal controller for every type of game. 

So, what is then required is another controller.  I don't own a gamecube so I would have to buy one of those or a classic.  I don't think the classics are as comfortable to use as PS3 or 360 controllers, and I never liked the GC's lack of symmetrical buttons.  I think PS3's controller is more suited to more game types because the motion sensing is quite good and it's still a controller.  That said, Time Crisis, a PS3 exclusive, will include a gun that acts just like the Wiimote except better because it uses 2 sensors.  I think 4 would be ideal so that the entire TV was mapped out, but we'll see how it works.  So far I'm disappointed with the Wiimote's results.

Anyway, the control scheme for the Wii is definitely attracting casual gamers but many people that play a lot of videogames will get a 360 or PS3 as well, I think (no, I don't care if you won't...I think most will).  The Wii is last-gen technology other than the controller that has a sensor.  That's all it is, you know.  PS3 has as good motion sensing.  Copycat or not, it's obviously not hard to do.

ckmlb said:
If innovation is the measure of a new generation then I guess the power glove was its own generation since it was innovative.

The argument whether the Wii is next gen or not doesn't really matter in the end because the Wii is not trying to compete graphically.

The bigger problem is if the Wii changes to focus of the video game business towards casual non-gamers then this is a problem... I mean fuckin Ubisoft is making a game called BABYZ

BABYZ?????????

Wonder if they're taking the 1999 computer game called Babyz and upgrading it?

Wikipedia page of Babyz pc game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babyz

I'm beginning to wonder if the videogame market it going to be flooded with quickly made cheap crap games under the "casual gamer" banner.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
ckmlb said:

BABYZ?????????

Wonder if they're taking the 1999 computer game called Babyz and upgrading it?

Wikipedia page of Babyz pc game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babyz

I believe so. Now they got BABYZ, CATZ, PETZ, BRATZ all kinds of wrong there.

Also I want to shoot he guy who named these titles.

Legend11 said:
I'm beginning to wonder if the videogame market it going to be flooded with quickly made cheap crap games under the "casual gamer" banner.

Going to be? It's happening man, it's happening now. Sure the PS2 had a lot of garbage games but at least they were games, now is the flood of non-games.

ckmlb said:
Legend11 said:

Going to be? It's happening man, it's happening now. Sure the PS2 had a lot of garbage games but at least they were games, now is the flood of non-games.

Speaking of non-games I was just reading about Konami's new "skin care" DS "game":

http://www.armchairempire.com/News/?p=312

As the Nintendo DS’ library continues to expand in new and unexpected ways, Konami has just announced that they will be making a skincare game for the Nintendo DS. In it, users will be able to receive tips on how to take care of their skin based on its hormone balance, and temperature.

This is done by players inputting a specific date for an event they want to go to, and look fabulous for, and other data about themselves. From there, the software will determine the best course of action for the user to achieve their desired results by the specified date.

According to Naoyuki Notsu, Konami CO, “We have developed the software under the concept of getting pretty while having fun.”

The software will be available in Japan as of October, and retail for 4,500 yen. With so many different types of non-gaming software (skin care software, therapy software, a small army of educational softwares), it’s a wonder we aren’t seeing more of this stuff test marketed in the West.

Lock it up.

The thread has deteriorated into yet another "The Wii raped, killed and ate my mom!" spiel.

Yes, we know Nintendo is sending armed men to slay development houses making traditional games. We've heard it a hundred times before.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Smash_Brother said:
Lock it up.

The thread has deteriorated into yet another "The Wii raped, killed and ate my mom!" spiel.

Well, in every other thread the Wii is praised while the PS3 and 360 are stomped on.  The comments are news worthy because we have a confirmed report from a real developer that the Wii is about as powerful as the Xbox 1.