By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - FF7 remake sales

Griffin said:
Did these conversations not happen last gen when lots of people wanted one for the PS2 and it never happened. I don't really think we will see one this gen either.

I think it depends.  Once the FF7 spinoffs start losing a lot in sales they'll release a remake to try and reinvigorize the FF7 brand. 

I think that's why they're afraid to re-release it.  They think it might actually hurt the brand more then help it.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Griffin said:
Did these conversations not happen last gen when lots of people wanted one for the PS2 and it never happened. I don't really think we will see one this gen either.

I think it depends.  Once the FF7 spinoffs start losing a lot in sales they'll release a remake to try and reinvigorize the FF7 brand. 

I think that's why they're afraid to re-release it.  They think it might actually hurt the brand more then help it.

They didn't talk about it much for the PS2 because the PS2 didn't have a technical demo that featured the Final Fantasy VII opening video. That's why everyone is talking to get it on the PS3.

You can't help but root for the underdog, GO PS3!

End of 08' Sales

Wii:                      39.56

Xbox 360:           24.75

Playstation 3:     20.58

sorry it's just not gonna be that big. Many of the people who bought FF7 fans were not FF fans, but were just people that bought into the hype. You can buy a lot of hype with a 100 million dollar ad campaign. At this point RPGs were at their highest point in the west, and it has died down since.

Crisis Core isn't a good sign for the potential sales either.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

I think a remake will be at the 20th anniversary, at the end of compilation of final fantasy 7.

Depending on how big of a legacy FF7 still holds at that time, if many of the gamers from 97 (assuming they moved on from gaming now that they are older) are still into gaming, I could see it surpass the original (so 10 million). But that is assuming that compilation does not kill the legacy of the game with god awful spin-off games.

FFVII sold 9,8 million copies worldwide. I assume that 2-2,5 million of those consists of people who bought the game due to the hype and didn´t like the game enough and die hard FFVII fans who are against a FFVII remake. If a remake is to be made and be released at the end of this generation on PS3, I would say it will sell 7,3 to 7,8 million copies.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Griffin said:

I think it might be because of the production costs. To remake the entire game for PS3, i'm pretty sure it would cost Square quite a bit of money. They wouldn't want to put a ton of money into a simple remake.They had the oppertunity to remake it on the PS2, when the budget would have been lower and the sales probably higher, and they still didn't do it. I really don't see them doing it now.And has for hurting the brand, i really don't think Square would care that much.

PSN- williwod

Remember, there are no stupid questions. Just stupid people- Mr Garrison

I bought it originally but I doubt I would get it again, Grew tierd of the turn based RPG's and I really hated the time bar system in this game when I went back to it. Also the only games I ever want to replay are generally much shorter, but as for sales I can see it easily reaching 6million but I think a lot of this will be new people who heard about the game so much they decided to get it.

around 8 million this seems it could be this generation.

End of 2008 Sales:

Wii- 39 Million 360- 25Million PS3- 22 Million

PSN: papasmurf5721

whacker41 said:
I think it might be because of the production costs. To remake the entire game for PS3, i'm pretty sure it would cost Square quite a bit of money. They wouldn't want to put a ton of money into a simple remake.They had the oppertunity to remake it on the PS2, when the budget would have been lower and the sales probably higher, and they still didn't do it. I really don't see them doing it now.And has for hurting the brand, i really don't think Square would care that much.

Bull Sh** , money wise this would be a great move for Squenix.  Even if were only talking 7-8 million.  That's still a huge amount of sales for one game.  They wouldn't have to go through very much of a creative process with making this one, I mean, it's not like they're making this one from scratch.  Come to think of it, they could easily make more money off this game then FFXIII.  I just don't see them not very much considering a Remake.

Check us out at the Vindication Gamer Network on Youtube. 

About 4-5 million.