By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 1 of PS3s biggest critics is now a believer. will you soon be a believer 2?

ps3<360

ill be a believer 1 1/2 - 2 years from now when there are acually good games on the ps3.

ps3 is not garbage but.......
as of right now ps3 is dookie butter compared to 360 imo

dont get me wrong ps3 just needs time.

time aka FF13 and METAL GEAR SOLID 4(ohhh boy!!! cant wait)

btw i expect ps3 sales to be under 5.5 milly by the end of the year..while Wii and  360 will be hovering around 13-14 milly

EDIT: i take that back i'd say under 6 milly for ps3..but imo thats a stretch

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

Around the Network
Lingyis said:
JSF said:
I don't believe price is the issue. It's the marketing. They need to make it clear that it is not intended as just a gaming rig and that it is a full-blown entertainment center with high def video, media streaming, etc. All the PS3 commercials I've seen only show some demonstration of the games. What people want is value. This is often mistaken for price, but it's not the same. Honda Civics and Toyota Corollas are the top selling cars because of their value propositions, not because they're the lowest priced. Yes, there is a segment of people out there who are the most price-sensitive and will buy the Hyundai's and Kia's of the world. That's fine. These people will wait for price drops to buy.

price is exactly the amount people are willing to pay for whatever value they perceive of a product.  few people are willing for fork over $600 for games and just unproven media capabilities.  in order words, their perceived value of the PS3 is not anything close to $600.

price is at least 80% of why PS3 is having a poor start well, sometimes i read these articles i can't believe people are going over such minute technical details. 

wii is takes away sales, there's little PS3 can do about that.  with consoles there's an aggregation effect, and it's especially apparent in Japan.  in the US the PS3 has trouble gaining momentum against the 360.

sony does appear to have a better long term plan for the PS3 than Microsoft for the 360, but it's had such a bad start a lot of things need to go right.

The PS3 is obviously a good value.  The manufacturer is losing a few hundred bucks on each one, for pete's sake.  How often are you going to get to buy anything at significantly below 
the manufacturing costs?  If the "perceived" value does not reflect that, then, as I said, it is the 
fault of the marketing.  The marketing thus far has plain sucked.  PS3 commercials don't inform your average consumer that it is a very good Blu-Ray movie player, and it's fully integrated, which is a bonus.  They don't mention the DVD upscaling capabilities.  They don't mention the ability to display and print photos from memory cards.  They don't mention its ability to stream multimedia content from your PC or any DLNA serving device.  They don't mention the free online service.  Or what they can do with the free online service.  Or the built-in wireless.  Or the web browsing capability.  In short, Sony's marketing has done a terrible job educating the average consumer about the PS3's full capabilities.  Say whatever you want about whether you want some of these functions or not, but the fact is they *are* included and should be properly marketed and that to get the same functionality from any other system or PC would cost more than a PS3.  Obviously a price cut would help as well, but fixing the marketing message should come first.  Sh#t, if the marketing in the States isn't already bad, the marketing situation in Europe is even worse.  What the hell is that "This is Living" campaign?  It tells people absolutely nothing about the system.

By the way, about the original topic of this thread, if you actually want to see a big time PS3 critic who has done a 180 instead of whoever that guy is quoted in the opening post, see Adam Sessler after the Sony Gamers' Day.

http://www.g4tv.com/pile_player.aspx?video_key=16349

"The PS3 is obviously a good value. "

even microsoft said the sweet spot is $199..so good value or not..it is not selling well at all.(obviously)

btw adam sesslar is the funniest coolest whiteboy around! alot of respect for him here

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

JSF said:
Lingyis said:
JSF said:
I don't believe price is the issue. It's the marketing. They need to make it clear that it is not intended as just a gaming rig and that it is a full-blown entertainment center with high def video, media streaming, etc. All the PS3 commercials I've seen only show some demonstration of the games. What people want is value. This is often mistaken for price, but it's not the same. Honda Civics and Toyota Corollas are the top selling cars because of their value propositions, not because they're the lowest priced. Yes, there is a segment of people out there who are the most price-sensitive and will buy the Hyundai's and Kia's of the world. That's fine. These people will wait for price drops to buy.

price is exactly the amount people are willing to pay for whatever value they perceive of a product. few people are willing for fork over $600 for games and just unproven media capabilities. in order words, their perceived value of the PS3 is not anything close to $600.

price is at least 80% of why PS3 is having a poor start well, sometimes i read these articles i can't believe people are going over such minute technical details.

wii is takes away sales, there's little PS3 can do about that. with consoles there's an aggregation effect, and it's especially apparent in Japan. in the US the PS3 has trouble gaining momentum against the 360.

sony does appear to have a better long term plan for the PS3 than Microsoft for the 360, but it's had such a bad start a lot of things need to go right.

The PS3 is obviously a good value. The manufacturer is losing a few hundred bucks on each one, for pete's sake. How often are you going to get to buy anything at significantly below
the manufacturing costs? If the "perceived" value does not reflect that, then, as I said, it is the
fault of the marketing. The marketing thus far has plain sucked. PS3 commercials don't inform your average consumer that it is a very good Blu-Ray movie player, and it's fully integrated, which is a bonus. They don't mention the DVD upscaling capabilities. They don't mention the ability to display and print photos from memory cards. They don't mention its ability to stream multimedia content from your PC or any DLNA serving device. They don't mention the free online service. Or what they can do with the free online service. Or the built-in wireless. Or the web browsing capability. In short, Sony's marketing has done a terrible job educating the average consumer about the PS3's full capabilities. Say whatever you want about whether you want some of these functions or not, but the fact is they *are* included and should be properly marketed and that to get the same functionality from any other system or PC would cost more than a PS3. Obviously a price cut would help as well, but fixing the marketing message should come first. Sh#t, if the marketing in the States isn't already bad, the marketing situation in Europe is even worse. What the hell is that "This is Living" campaign? It tells people absolutely nothing about the system.

By the way, about the original topic of this thread, if you actually want to see a big time PS3 critic who has done a 180 instead of whoever that guy is quoted in the opening post, see Adam Sessler after the Sony Gamers' Day.

http://www.g4tv.com/pile_player.aspx?video_key=16349

If I make the most expensive turd ever, that doesn't mean people will want to buy it, even if I price at half the production cost.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

ckmlb said:
NJ5 said:
ckmlb said:
DonWii said:
It will. But, people are expecting it to fly off shelves, selling out anything and everything that is in stock. Selling 5 million just in the Christams season...

I have no doubt it will boost sales, just not radically high, especialy depending on amount of price drop.

Ok who is predicting this? If anything people are predicting very low for the PS3 cause of sales so far...

Check out CrazzyMan's and Blue3's posts. According to them the PS3 will be the fast-selling console during
all the Holiday periods since the year 1000 BC.

It seems you're an exaggerator as well :)

Cklmb, I'm not sure what your native language is, but in english its quite comon to use hyperbole to make a point. If the person's exaggeration is obviously an exaggeration without the guise of being anything else (i.e. literal fact to be taken literally), then there's really no foul in that. It's really not fair to expect people to be 100% literal in all their semantics when the context of debate doesn't necessitate it. I'm not sure anyone but you honestly thought the literal intended purpose of his comment was to suggest that video game consoles have been in existence since 1000 BC. You're just attacking semantics and grammar out of context and outside of necessity. Knock it off and try being polite, no one likes a rude person. :)

Around the Network
Gballzack said:
ckmlb said:
NJ5 said:
ckmlb said:
DonWii said:

Ok who is predicting this? If anything people are predicting very low for the PS3 cause of sales so far...

Cklmb, I'm not sure what your native language is, but in english its quite comon to use hyperbole to make a point. If the person's exaggeration is obviously an exaggeration without the guise of being anything else (i.e. literal fact to be taken literally), then there's really no foul in that. It's really not fair to expect people to be 100% literal in all their semantics when the context of debate doesn't necessitate it. I'm not sure anyone but you honestly thought the literal intended purpose of his comment was to suggest that video game consoles have been in existence since 1000 BC. You're just attacking semantics and grammar out of context and outside of necessity. Knock it off and try being polite, no one likes a rude person. :)

How was I attacking him? I was gesting that he is an exaggerator as well...

Chill out.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

You fanboys are simply impossible to converse with. Even when I'm criticizing Sony, you guys still think it's praise or something. If the PS3 is not a good value for what you get, the 360 is even worse because it costs even more for an equivalent feature set.

ckmlb said:
Gballzack said:
ckmlb said:
NJ5 said:
ckmlb said:
DonWii said:

Chill out.

She said you were attacking "semantics and grammar".

JSF said:
You fanboys are simply impossible to converse with. Even when I'm criticizing Sony, you guys still think it's praise or something. If the PS3 is not a good value for what you get, the 360 is even worse because it costs even more.

Where did I say or imply you were praising the PS3? You can read my comment as a strengthening of yours too.

NJ5 said:
ckmlb said:
Gballzack said:
ckmlb said:
NJ5 said:
ckmlb said:
DonWii said:

Chill out.

She said you were attacking "semantics and grammar".

I wasn't attacking anything language related I wasn't even attacking anything I was makinga joke....

And my native language is English, it's crazy isn't it? Since I speak it so horribly apparently. 

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!