By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - White Knight Chronicle (Level 5) set for 2008 Fiscal Year!!!

Riachu said:
Dallinor said:

How long has this game been in development?

It was announced back in 2006.

But, on wikipedia it says this:

"Level-5 plans to make White Knight Chronicles a 50-60 hour game, a length Akihiro Hino considers to be a full length RPG, going against the pressure to make White Knight Chronicles a launch title and cutting the story short."

And in 2006 IGN made this remark:

"The Tokyo Game Show [06'] will offer our first look at White Knight Story, which despite its recent unveiling, seems to be far along in development."

By it's release, I'd say the title will have taken close to 3 years to produce.

more like 3.5 to 4 years

Possibly. I tend to be slighty on the conservative side when making any sort of numerical assumption.

Still, that's a long development time for a game (especially a new IP). I hope all the extra man hours were used to shape this game into one of the first true RPG masterpieces of this gen.

Around the Network
*bleu-ocelot* said:
Riachu said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
Dallinor said:

"Level-5 plans to make White Knight Chronicles a 50-60 hour game, a length Akihiro Hino considers to be a full length RPG, going against the pressure to make White Knight Chronicles a launch title and cutting the story short."

"The Tokyo Game Show [06'] will offer our first look at White Knight Story, which despite its recent unveiling, seems to be far along in development."

But remember Level-5 also is working on DQIX,and other games.

Every Level 5 game in development other than WKC are handheld games.  Handheld games take significantly less than to develop than console games and require less people to develop.

True,but isn't Level-5 a small development studio?

Nope, as of 2007 they had over 150 employees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_5

Also interesting to note from the same page:

"The bulk of the staff however, including the chief designers, artists and Lead Director Yasuhiro Akasaka, are currently working on the company's PlayStation 3 RPG effort".

Dallinor said:
Riachu said:
Dallinor said:

more like 3.5 to 4 years

Possibly. I tend to be slighty on the conservative side when making any sort of numerical assumption.

Still, that's a long development time for a game (especially a new IP). I hope all the extra man hours were used to shape this game into one of the first true RPG masterpieces of this gen.

3.5 to 4 years of development time is only slightly longer than average for an RPG.   The game will probably get a  90%+ on both gamerankings and metacritic if they used the development time for their advantage

Very nice information digging guys. This should be a good 500k RPG that should come close to Lost Odyssey.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Very nice information digging guys. This should be a good 500k RPG that should come close to Lost Odyssey.

LO was great but were you really that wowed by it.  WKC will probably be even better than LO if Level 5 give it the proper polish that LO didn't get

Around the Network
outlawauron said:

Japan alone will be about 500k.This game is also highly anticipated.So I think it can sell 1.7mil or higher,easily.

Soriku said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
outlawauron said:

Japan alone will be about 500k.This game is also highly anticipated.So I think it can sell 1.7mil or higher,easily.

Uh...as far as I know, no Level 5 game has reached 500k in Japan (unless it was published by SE, like DQ) so I doubt thta'll be the case on the PS3.

Ever heard of Professor Layton?  Many Level 5 games never made it to 500K in Japan due to circumstances i.e. Japanese gamers are more interested in playing established series than new IPs.  WKC could still do 500K in Japan as long as they market it enough and there aren't any other RPGs stealing its thunder(which I seriously doubt will happen unless it is released close to FFXIII)

Soriku said:
Riachu said:
Soriku said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
outlawauron said:

Uh...as far as I know, no Level 5 game has reached 500k in Japan (unless it was published by SE, like DQ) so I doubt thta'll be the case on the PS3.

Ever heard of Professor Layton? Many Level 5 games never made it to 500K in Japan due to circumstances i.e. Japanese gamers are more interested in playing established series than new IPs. WKC could still do 500K in Japan as long as they market it enough and there aren't any other RPGs stealing its thunder(which I seriously doubt will happen unless it is released close to FFXIII)

Hmm...I forgot about that. But none of Level 5's full-blown RPGs have actually reached 500k. And the PS3 isn't even CLOSE to selling as much SW as the DS.

There are multiple reasons why Level 5's full blown RPGs haven't sold 500K in Japan, other than DQVIII anyway.  PS3 SW sales will pick up once more games come out including WKC

I love everything Level 5 touches. This is huge for me, can not wait!

I can't help but imagine this schedule of JRPGs for the PS3 in Japan this year:

September - Eternal Sonata
October - Cross Edge
November - WKC
December - FFXIII

That would definitely be enough to combat ToV, IU and Last Remnant on the 360, but would it be enough to get the PS3 selling at decent levels? I think if Sony is able add SE BC, then yes it would be enough.