By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Stephan Bole of Nintendo claims Wii has sold 26 Million Units????

It's always shipped numbers live with it.

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:
sc94597 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
sc94597 said:
Wait why would a nintendo representative know how many ps3s and 360s were sold?

Why wouldn't they?

I don't know to much about these things but wouldn't the only way to know how is to use an online souce or Npd. So if he gets those numbers from there wouldn't he also find it weird the wii numbers are overtracked. Either that or he remembers the ps3/360 numbers better than the wii numbers, which would be kinda ironic.

It's pretty likely that he's using shipped numbers, in which case they're released by the console maker.

Oh ok. Thank you

Bodhesatva said:

This is like the fourth thread about this.

Euphoria, we have talked about it, but we're pretty sure these numbers are outdated (even though he stated them yesterday).

The easiest way to show why: we know for a fact that as of March 31, 2008, Nintendo had shipped 24.45 million Wiis. We know that since that time they have sold ~1.35 million in America alone (not including June -- that's just April/May NPD!). That totals 25.8 million consoles by itself.

In essence, the only way for this to be true would be that Nintendo has only sold consoles in April/May, and only in America. Nintendo would have effectively had to sell zero consoles in June in America, and zero consoles anywhere else since March.

In other words, it defies all other numbers we do know, so we need ot play a waiting game on this.

Ah, didn't see the posts. My bad.

My main question is that if these are indeed dated numbers, why are the PS3/360 numbers highly comparable to current sales numbers? Specially after the big MGS4 week. I am no fanboy, but I consistently see PS3 undertracked almost every month of the year lately.

I guess a waiting game is in order then.

When does the next fiscal numbers come out anyways?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

I live in France.

Here the good begin of the thread:

About the hardware, here certainly the best and most accurate link about what Nintendo, Sony and microsoft France have said at Cannes for the IDEF:

http://fr.news.yahoo.com/afp/20080624/tcu-medias-entreprises-marketing-7b903d2.html

ANNES (AFP) - Le fabricant japonais de consoles de jeux vidéo Nintendo a vendu dans le monde plus de 26 millions de Wii depuis son lancement en décembre 2006, contre près de 20 millions pour la Xbox 360 de Microsoft et 14 millions pour la PlayStation 3 (PS3) de Sony, ont-ils indiqué mardi.
(Publicité)

"La Wii reste en tête des consoles, la dynamique est toujours très forte grâce à l'afflux massif de femmes, de seniors, de clients différents de ce que l'industrie du jeu vidéo avait l'habitude de toucher", a déclaré Stephan Bole, PDG de Nintendo France, en marge du salon de l'Idef (Interactive and Digital Entertainment Festival) à Cannes, qui réunit les professionnels du secteur.

Nintendo n'a pas l'intention de baisser le prix de sa console de salon, vendu à 249 euros, a-t-il ajouté.

Ses concurrents, qui proposent des machines plus sophistiquées, ont quant à eux déjà procédé à des réductions de prix pour relancer leurs ventes.

Sony, qui vend désormais sa console 399 euros contre 599 euros lors de son lancement fin 2006, a écoulé environ 13,7 millions de PS3, a indiqué Georges Fornay, président de Sony Computer Entertainment France.

Sur le seul territoire français, "nous avons dépassé Microsoft", avec 800.000 exemplaires vendues, contre 700.000 Xbox (et 1,8 million de Wii), a-t-il précisé.

Au niveau mondial, Sony espère doubler son rival américain l'an prochain, quitte à procéder à une nouvelle diminution des tarifs, même si ce n'est pas d'actualité pour l'instant, selon M. Fornay. "Nous ne sommes pas forcément dans la course à la baisse de prix, mais nous sommes pragmatiques et flexibles", a-t-il souligné.

Microsoft, dont la Xbox 360 est la moins chère du marché (199 euros), revendique "près de 20 millions de consoles vendues dans le monde" depuis sa mise sur le marché fin 2005.

La baisse récente, annoncée en mars, "nous a permis de reprendre le leadership", a estimé François Ruault, directeur de la division produits de loisirs du groupe en France.

Conclusion: Nintendo matters are not accurate, but Sony and Microsoft matters seems accurate. Now if someone think we need a thread for the new accurate numbers of shipped ps3 and 360, he can do it if he want. The end of second quarterly is soon, so maybe we don't need that for the moment. About the famous leadership taken now by microsoft, i have nothing to say, but what i can understand is that recently the 360 in France has sold more than the ps3, which seems possible with the two last update we have obtained.

Euphoria14 said:
sc94597 said:

He is a spy. I can't see any other reason.

lol.....why do people try to turn everything into a frikkin international controversy

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

Now what i think about that:

""""Neos said:
but no this cannot be, 26 million wii's have been sold worldwide according to unknown sources !!!oneoneeleven.

serious mode, this is great news for nintendo =).""""

Because the thread about that has been close:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=30699

And because the source of the "information" ( http://www.jeux-france.com/news28031_26-millions-de-wii-dans-le-monde.html ) was in french, i had something to say about that.

First, when i see these worldwide numbers (shipped numbers) given by Stephan Bole, PDG de Nintendo France (so Neos there is really an official source for that), i refuse to make a thread about that because the number of wii is absolutely not accurate. Stephan bole said: more than 26 million, which for me can say: 26,2m; 26,8m; 27,5m; or why not 28m. And no date for this number. For the number of 360 and ps3, Stephan bole is more accurate in his matter but always no date.

Second, because it's soon the end of the second quaterly of 2008, i see no interest to post an innacurate, non dated number when soon an accurate number will come.

So for all the user of vgchartz: There is actually more than 26 million wii shipped in the world, what is confirmed by vgchartz, because vgchartz said 27,72m sold to consumer.

ioi don't need to fix something, because there is absolutely no contradiction between the two numbers.

If i said that in this thread, it's because the user which make the close thread was imcompetent to give this conclusion, which for me is strange.

When you have sold more than 26 million wii, you really can have sold 27,72 million wii.

Not agree all users?????

darthdevidem01 said:
Euphoria14 said:
sc94597 said:

He is a spy. I can't see any other reason.

lol.....why do people try to turn everything into a frikkin international controversy

I am not making it a controversy, I am just bad with sarcasm I guess. :p

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Euphoria14 said:

Anyone else heard this yet?

I saw it here

http://wiirss.frwee.org/

Also here

http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=115372

I wonder what this means? According to VGChartz the Wii has sold 27.72M consoles. If true could that mean massive overtracking? When considering the 360 numbers (20M) and PS3 numbers (14M) they make sense when you think of how many are still on store shelves... but why a 1.72M difference for Wii?

Opinions?

Anyone live in France by any chance and attended The Interactive Digital Entertainment Festival at Cannes?

I answer to your question, so you can see my answer. Thanks.

lombard2578 said:
Euphoria14 said:

Anyone else heard this yet?

I saw it here

http://wiirss.frwee.org/

Also here

http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=115372

I wonder what this means? According to VGChartz the Wii has sold 27.72M consoles. If true could that mean massive overtracking? When considering the 360 numbers (20M) and PS3 numbers (14M) they make sense when you think of how many are still on store shelves... but why a 1.72M difference for Wii?

Opinions?

Anyone live in France by any chance and attended The Interactive Digital Entertainment Festival at Cannes?

I answer to your question, so you can see my answer. Thanks.

I saw your answer. Wii numbers are still indeed amazing, but I just don't understand why the Wii numbers wouldn't be accurate, but PS3/360 numbers are. He works for Nintendo, not MS or Sony, so I would expect him to know his own companies numbers better than theirs. I think that is the main issue I have. While someone says 26M could mean 27,28,29, etc... same can be said for the other two consoles, although of not as big a difference as the Wii would be of course considering current sales rates.

I came to a point where I need to wait for each companies fiscal report, but honestly I don't know when that comes out. I was only looking for opinions as we all know none of use can actually answer the question of the sales differentials.

Currently playing:

@Euphoria14 I believe the fiscal reports come out next month.