By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SONY - 80GB Bundles next shipment = July 5th

heruamon said:

Wow, and there's no warranty issues with opening up your PS3...that's great!

You don't open it up.  You just slide out the HDD and slide in the new one.  It takes less than 5 minutes.

I found a 250GB HDD for $100.  So now I've got plenty of storage (about 190GB left).

Around the Network

I didn't know that, so see, I learned something new today, and stand corrected. That is a VERY nice feature.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

d21lewis said:
starcraft said:
d21lewis said:

My 360 only had 9 gigs of the advertised 20 available for use, so it wasn't any better.

Really?  I think mine had 13 and a half.

You may be right. It's been a long time. 13 does kind of seem like a figure that I remember, now that you mention it.

Mine started with 12 GB.

OT: Glad to see people picking up a great game!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

makingmusic476 said:
Borkachev said:
Sony knows what the demand is. They lose more money on the 80 gig than the 40 gig.

People are always throwing this out there, but I sincerely doubt it. The 40gb and 80gb are virtually the same hardware, but the 80gb sells for $100 more. Stuff like the card readers, extra USB slots, and Emotion Engine add up to diddly squat. Now, the 65nm chip versus the 90nm chip and the associated reductions in power and heating gear is a different story, but the only reason the 80gb units don't use it is because they're old stock. If Sony is moving back into mass-producing 80gbs, you can bet they'll use the cheapest, most modern process to do it.

This bundle might be slightly more complicated because they're including a 3rd-party rather than 1st-party game. I don't know what the cost difference on that is to Sony, but I find it hard to believe they're not making out better on the 80gb than the 40gb.

Yeah, much like the 60gb and 20gb skus, they lose less on the more expensive model.

Any argument over the costs are based on guesses unless you have something straight from Sony, so I'm not going to conjecture on actual costs.  But, the 60 gig and 80 gig have routinely outsold the 20 gig and 40 gig in the US and have been taken out of the Japan and Europe markets despite Europeans always arguing about it on this site and Japans fetish for having one console and the PS2 still having strong legs in the region.  So, there are two conclusions. 

1.  Management is incompetent because they could make more money by releasing the 80 gig in all regions with ample supply thus becoming profitable sooner. or

2.  It costs more to add those costs than you think.  They probably only get an additional $70-80 after the retail cut.  You also have to include opportunity cost.  I am a first time Sony supporter, so I grabbed 9 PS2 games and 3 PS1 games with my 80 gig.  That's twelve games, if I wasn't able to get backward compatible you'd have to figure I'd pick up another 3-5 PS3 games due to boredom which also hits Sony's pocket and I may have eventually picked up a PS2 which would immediately make Sony money.  So whether actual cost or opportunity cost, Sony doesn't want an all in one console on the market.

so we know there will be high sales of ps3 in 5july