By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SONY - 80GB Bundles next shipment = July 5th

Sometimes you have to wonder who's actually running this company. It still seems like the only division that matters to them is the Japan Branch instead of it being an international business.

Check us out at the Vindication Gamer Network on Youtube. 

Around the Network

Sony knows what the demand is. They lose more money on the 80 gig than the 40 gig. So they are limiting their losses by putting so few out. A side benefit is the consumer gets in the Wii see it/grab it mode.

You have to remember that sony had to puy for a set number of these bundles, who knows how many they paid for? I think the reason for them not producing all these bundles in one go is so that some people who just cant wait and hearing how good mgs is will bite the bullet and buy the 40gig(which is more profit in sony pocket).

Sony knows what the demand is. They lose more money on the 80 gig than the 40 gig.

People are always throwing this out there, but I sincerely doubt it. The 40gb and 80gb are virtually the same hardware, but the 80gb sells for $100 more. Stuff like the card readers, extra USB slots, and Emotion Engine add up to diddly squat. Now, the 65nm chip versus the 90nm chip and the associated reductions in power and heating gear is a different story, but the only reason the 80gb units don't use it is because they're old stock. If Sony is moving back into mass-producing 80gbs, you can bet they'll use the cheapest, most modern process to do it.

This bundle might be slightly more complicated because they're including a 3rd-party rather than 1st-party game. I don't know what the cost difference on that is to Sony, but I find it hard to believe they're not making out better on the 80gb than the 40gb.

At least this means sales should spike again!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network

I know everyone is anticipating a spike, but in the hearts of potential buyers, do they really see a difference between 40 and 80gb models?

I wish they went to a one model future. Nintendo was smart with one model, one color, one configuration.

Console Agnostic since 2001.

I wish they went to a one model future.

I'd be fine with that, except that they inexplicably seem to be insisting on the gimped 40gb as that one model.

talkingparrot said:
I know everyone is anticipating a spike, but in the hearts of potential buyers, do they really see a difference between 40 and 80gb models?

I wish they went to a one model future. Nintendo was smart with one model, one color, one configuration.

If the consumer is educated then they definitely should. Does the difference between the arcade and the 20gb mean anything to them?

I don't think a permanent 80 gig sku would increase sales in the long run, lots of people would probably trade a 40 gig in for an 80 gig, or the people who were going to get a PS3 40 gig, but heard about the 80 gig, delayed for a while until the 80 gig was released, hence the elevated sales when the bundle hit. I think that once the 80 gig becomes standard sales will drop down to the usual level.

Of course this is just my guess.

I personally like multiple SKU's

......by multiple I mean 2 MAX, 3 is where I would cut the line