By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SONY - 80GB Bundles next shipment = July 5th

Anwsered.

Around the Network

Wait.... they discontinued the 80GB PS3 in NA?
When did that happen? I must be out of the loop.

No. But they're doing such a piss-poor job of restocking them that they might as well have.

With the recently release news of over $3.3 bln in losses over 2007 and 2008, Sony's mgmt is going to have to answer ALOT of questions to investors. I expect the CEO to be on his way out the door soon, since him getting hired as a westerner into such a high profile corporate job in Japan was probably met with skepticism. Sony's engineers better get hopping on getting the die size down and cost too..all those free PS3 are catching up to them...$100 giftcard here...free Ps3 with HDTV there...OUCH...makes that $1 bln charge for MS look like peanuts.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Borkachev said:
Sony knows what the demand is. They lose more money on the 80 gig than the 40 gig.

People are always throwing this out there, but I sincerely doubt it. The 40gb and 80gb are virtually the same hardware, but the 80gb sells for $100 more. Stuff like the card readers, extra USB slots, and Emotion Engine add up to diddly squat. Now, the 65nm chip versus the 90nm chip and the associated reductions in power and heating gear is a different story, but the only reason the 80gb units don't use it is because they're old stock. If Sony is moving back into mass-producing 80gbs, you can bet they'll use the cheapest, most modern process to do it.

This bundle might be slightly more complicated because they're including a 3rd-party rather than 1st-party game. I don't know what the cost difference on that is to Sony, but I find it hard to believe they're not making out better on the 80gb than the 40gb.

Yeah, much like the 60gb and 20gb skus, they lose less on the more expensive model.

I gots my 80 gig, already! I just wonder how well these things are going to sell now that MGS4 has been out for a little while. That game was the big selling point for me, but if I couldn't get an 80 gig bundle, I would've got a 40 gig, and the game and never looked back. How many MGS fans with $500 waited? Backwards compatibility, the extra ports, and a free game are pretty powerful motivators, though. I'm sure the 80 gigs are going to sell fast. Surprisingly, I only have 56 available gigs left. All I did was install MGS4, two demos, and some trailers. WTF!? It must suck for anyone who bought a 20 gig PS3!!

My 360 only had 9 gigs of the advertised 20 available for use, so it wasn't any better.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

My 360 only had 9 gigs of the advertised 20 available for use, so it wasn't any better.

Really?  I think mine had 13 and a half.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Yeah, and it has more if you clean out the HD...jsut like on a computer. The good thing about the 360 is that you can get a new 120 GB drive and replace your old one...

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

heruamon said:
Yeah, and it has more if you clean out the HD...jsut like on a computer. The good thing about the 360 is that you can get a new 120 GB drive and replace your old one...

I hate to be "that guy"

but the even better thing about the PS3 is the fact that you can replace the internal hard drive with any size available 2.5" sata hard drive. (like up to around 350 gigs i think)

And it is not a proprietary unit that is way, way overpriced, like the 360's

Thats right!, I went there.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Wow, and there's no warranty issues with opening up your PS3...that's great!

starcraft said:
d21lewis said:

Really?  I think mine had 13 and a half.

You may be right. It's been a long time. 13 does kind of seem like a figure that I remember, now that you mention it.