By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Anyone else think Little Big Planet will sell terribly?

eliasg said:

I am not a SONY fan , but i have to admit that LBP is the greatest platform addition for the next gen consoles library.

So i believe that the game will score and sell great!!!

There is still time for you to jump on board the PS3 train with the  arrival of LBP, FF XIII, GT 5 and God of War 3.

Around the Network
Lafiel said:
@ ecurbj )

considering there already is a tv ad showing LBP (along with MGS4 and GT5p), I think Sony is willing to spend a lot for marketing the game, so in my opinion it will do really well and especially will draw in demographs new to the ps3

I hope so, bro.

I mean there hasn't been a lot of PS3 games that have been coming out that are triple AAA back to back. It will be a release of a Triple AAA and then sales for the PS3 hardware slack off. Similar to how MGS4 did in Japan and what the PS3 is doing in Japan.

I think it will sell ok, but i certainly won't be buying it.

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

LBP, so far, looks like it might be a neat innovative platformer that will sell decently but it isn't going to be a system seller. I think it will be great addition for the library of those that already own a PS3. Also, remember that its release is still a few months off. It is a new game, not a franchise so it is unproven.

I give this thread a 9.5.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

i think it will sell pretty well. I won't sell a lot but a little bit. I say around 200 copies first week.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

Around the Network

i dont think it will sell terrible, but i think that it should deserve a lot better.
i would say around 2 or 3 million+. if it gets anymore than that i would be surprised.

Oh to work in marketing for Sony....

90 days from Launch, Id have this game featured on full 30 second adds during programing ranging from saturday morning cartoons, to Adult Swim cartoons, HGTV, Nikelodeon, and more.

I'd STAR, like really feature Sackboy, and show various shots of creative and gameplay, with Sackboy waving at the end, and having the release date boldly displayed under the "Only on PlayStation 3" at the end.

Hell, Id follow the same format for R2 / Socom and Motorstorm too. I'd make the games the stars, not the platform.

I think it will sell well, and have very good legs.

PSN: TheGodofWine (Warhawk / R2 / MotorStorm PR)

AND

PSN: Skigazzi (for KZ2 and future games)

I don't now if LittleBigPlanet will be good or not ( I hope it is), but I have a hard time seeing how one game can establish an entire casual market for the PS3 and have droves of people buying them. A lot of pressure is being put upon this game.

As far as sales go....I think it will be something like Heavenly Sword's sales. No more than 2 million.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Ive been a key stater on LBP. I am unsure if it will flop outright, but it will not be a million seller nor a system pusher. I can't forsee over 500k LTD WW.

It's completely out of the question for it to sell "terribly" at this point. 500,000 copies is guaranteed. I don't expect a huge first week a la MGS4, simply because it's not a sequel to something, but I think it'll do a few hundred thousand without much trouble. My conservative estimate for lifetime sales is 4 million. Yeah, I went there.

Everyone in this thread is trying to base the game and its sales on some previous title: Viva Pinata, Mario, Okami, Ratchet & Clank, MGS4. The fact is that not everything is predicted by what came before it. That's why you guys (I mean the generic "you," those who thought like you, not necessarily you specifically) were calling doom and gloom for the Wii before it came out because the N64 and GC did poorly, and this was just a less powerful (relatively) and more expensive version of those. Meanwhile, those of us who saw that the Wii was something genuinely new and exciting were predicting big things for it from the start, though I don't imagine any of us knew it would be quite this big.

I get that same feeling from LBP. You can't break it down into its component parts and construct its sales. It's a platformer, but it's nothing like any platformer that we've ever seen. People like me who are bored silly of platformers are pumped about it. It's got a "cute" art style, but it's a whole new kind of hyper-realistic cute, not Nintendo-cute. It's a level-editing game, but with a far more enthralling level editor than we've seen before. It's the combination of a lot of things that are driving a massive level of hype. And the hype alone is reason enough that the game shouldn't be spoken in the same sentence with something like Okami, Ratchet & Clank, or Viva Pinata.

This game has the power to glue Sony's IPs together like nothing before it. If I were in Sony's shoes I'd market this game with developer made content packs/levels that tie into Sony's larger stable of IPs. A Killzone, God of War, Rachet and Clank, or Uncharted download pack with items, costums, and textures from those games would sell like crazy to fans of those games (the sort of fan service Nintendo capitalizes on with Smash Bros.)

Do this, and the game will sell like crazy.

Here's another good point. I see the sackboy becoming the new Sony mascot. If they play it right, he could carry them a long way. Rather than just selling these download packs, Sony could package the other games themselves with the content, or with codes to download it for free. Buy God of War and get the GoW content pack in LBP. It would be a brilliant way to promote both games.