By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 08 Holiday Season For Wii Will be Legendary.

Your prediction is possible.

Around the Network

Are those really legendary numbers? DS sold almost 11M units in the same period in 2007.

koffieboon, the ds cheated! lol! :)

On topic, the Wii will have a LEGENDARY year. There will be some large game announcements in Nintendo's arsenal. (though, in all honesty, the Wii can sell itself without games, which is like a 1st for the vg industry.)

But, with more success comes jeolousy. Expect about 14 "wii dominance ends for ps3 dominance" articles by next year. (when Wii is still beating the ps360 in sales.)

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius

So the basis for Nintendo having a great holiday season is based mainly upon hardware sales with help from earlier releases.

A couple of multi-platform titles and one potentially good, but unproven FPS for the core audience really don't count for anything from the standpoint of driving hardware sales.

Any sales spikes in previously released software will be driven by new hardware purchases. Old games don't spur additional hardware purchases because it's the holidays. It's the other way around. At this point, I'm not even convinced Wii Fit can be considered a system seller come Fall, and I was previously very bullish on that release.

As far as software titles go, the rest of 2008 for the Wii is hinging on whatever Nintendo has in store for E3, plus a handful of potential top notch titles from third party developers like Capcom.

Ultimately what will determine hardware sales for the Wii, will be availability more than any hot soft titles.

bigjon said:

Things to look for are the sale of the Wii version of GHIV, COD4, Sonic Unleashed, The Conduit(hit or Miss), and the quality of the Wii 1st and 3rd party holiday line-up that is still unknown. I believe SMG will rebound to get over 1 million in sales in NA alone this holiday season. MKWii and SSBB will both sell an addition 2 million over the holidays with MKWii sell a bit more.

I'm kind of concerned about the holiday lineup.. precicely because we don't know what it is yet. Last year, we knew long before E3 of MP3, SMG and SSBB coming out. This year we don't really know of any AAAA games which are coming out.. Sure GHIV and COD4 will sell, but they will have already been out for a year. They should really announce things soon (before E3) to build up as much hype as possible.

Around the Network
damkira said:
bigjon said:

Things to look for are the sale of the Wii version of GHIV, COD4, Sonic Unleashed, The Conduit(hit or Miss), and the quality of the Wii 1st and 3rd party holiday line-up that is still unknown. I believe SMG will rebound to get over 1 million in sales in NA alone this holiday season. MKWii and SSBB will both sell an addition 2 million over the holidays with MKWii sell a bit more.

I'm kind of concerned about the holiday lineup.. precicely because we don't know what it is yet. Last year, we knew long before E3 of MP3, SMG and SSBB coming out. This year we don't really know of any AAAA games which are coming out.. Sure GHIV and COD4 will sell, but they will have already been out for a year. They should really announce things soon (before E3) to build up as much hype as possible.

Well nintendo have a new policy to not announce games years or even months before they are released.

I agree with his prediction

Playstation 3 & Wii will have huge holiday seasons...

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

sc94597 said:
damkira said:
bigjon said:

Well nintendo have a new policy to not announce games years or even months before they are released.

People seem to forget that there were several (good to great) Nintendo games released over the past 6 months that were announced at or after E3 2007; an example of this is Mario Kart Wii which is one of Nintendo's biggest franchises and wasn't previewed in a playable form until February of 2008.

Bigjon, you trying to fill the gap until John Lucas returns? hahaha

Still, the numbers aren't too far off though it's hard to talk big games until nintendo shows its cards

I do wish Nintendo will hurry it up and drop some big bombs for the holiday season though. Right now based on hard release dates, it is somewhat lacking IMO.

However, all they need is one or two of their many big franchises for me to change my opinion.