By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Metal Gear Solid 4 hits a million in first week(Europe)

And it has been out 12 days, and VG Chartz only has the first 2. I think it's reasonable to say that the number is sold, not shipped.

Around the Network

Wasn't Spain's release delayed by a few days due to strikes, so that might increase the sales a bit and you never know, VGchartz might be undertracking it.

@BengaBenga
Is that 175,000 uptodate as of this weekend jsut gone? Say by yesterday?

Although your 'sold to retailers' thing might be more plausable, but either way it's a lot of sales.

Hmm, pie.

I would expect at least another 400k this week if it was not undertracked last week

The Fury said:
Wasn't Spain's release delayed by a few days due to strikes, so that might increase the sales a bit and you never know, VGchartz might be undertracking it.

@BengaBenga

Although your 'sold to retailers' thing might be more plausable, but either way it's a lot of sales.

The ChartTrack figure covers 9 out of 12 days. Figure was released yesterday. Spain's delay doesn't make up for the fact that the UK usually acounts for about 1/3 rd of total Europe sales.

Hapimeses said:
Neos said:
yea it's shipped, and this seems in line with our figures

I've got to call you out on this and ask why you concluded this. Read the following again:

The publisher says that the title has sold a million copies in Europe since its release on June 12th, and has shipped many more SKUs to its retail partners.

So, the game has sold 1 million copies across Europe, and more are being shipped to plug that gap. Not: 1 million shipped and more to be shipped because there is already a ton shipped.

Konami also confirmed that 25,000 copies of the the Limited Edition were made available across Europe, but “were snapped up almost immediately.”

Next: talking directly about more copies of the game sold, not shipped.

“The Metal Gear Solid series has again proved its huge potential, and we are delighted with the fantastic response the game has enjoyed at retail,”

Finally, for a game to have a response at retail, nor from retailers, they pretty much have to be talking about sales of the game at retail, not the take up of the game from retailers in regards copies shipped.

Now, I'm not saying the article is correct; however, I am saying that it's a bit of a stretch to claim the article talking about shipped numbers when the sentences don't appear to say that, especially when taken as a whole.

Can you explain why you concluded what you did?

Because there is no company in the world that knows its sold to consumers figures, only to retailers...

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Around the Network

bring on some numbers

BengaBenga said:
The Fury said:

@BengaBenga

The ChartTrack figure covers 9 out of 12 days. Figure was released yesterday. Spain's delay doesn't make up for the fact that the UK usually acounts for about 1/3 rd of total Europe sales.

This might usually be true but currently UK only makes up just over 20% of PS3s consoles owned.

Hmm, pie.

It would appear as though this thread has become a case of debating whether it's solid to retailers or consumers, and less of a case of actually discussing the sales.

PSN- williwod

Remember, there are no stupid questions. Just stupid people- Mr Garrison

@ the fury, it is usually more like a quater, but it less for PS3, though more for shooters, so I would expect more for MGS

whacker41 said:
It would appear as though this thread has become a case of debating whether it's solid to retailers or consumers, and less of a case of actually discussing the sales.

that's pretty much always the case =P

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!