By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Metal Gear Solid 4 hits a million in first week(Europe)

talkingparrot said:
Does anyone really think the game will not sell through those 1 million numbers?

No, but we are just talking about the first week.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Around the Network

lol, same story over and over again.

Fanboys so badly want those shipped numbers to be sold to gamers.

They believe it so hard that usually ioi has to come in and clear things up.

11:00 (BST), 24/06/2008
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Press Release PROVIDED BY GAMES PRESS
Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH has announced that sales of its newly-released Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots title for PLAYSTATION®3 have exceeded one million units within the first week.

Konami has shipped over one million copies of the game to retailers across Europe to meet the exceptional demand, with high sales confirmed in all European territories and securing the Number One position in the relevant sales charts.

1 million in europe confirmed
500k in japan confirmed
1 million in US ?

2.5 million worldwilde .

By default, always assume PR is talking about shipped numbers. 99% of the time, that's what they do.

PS: I pulled the 99% number out of my ass, but that's only appropriate when talking in a PR context.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
apujanata said:

Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH has announced that sales of its newly-released Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots title for PLAYSTATION®3 have exceeded one million units within the first week.

Konami has shipped over one million copies of the game to retailers across Europe to meet the exceptional demand, with high sales confirmed in all European territories and securing the Number One position in the relevant sales charts.

Now that seems more likely.

:)

Taking the release literally - in terms of its use of English, it states in two different places:

Over 1M have been sold
Over 1M have been shipped

Could they ship over 1M and sell over 1M? Sure. However I think it best, given normal practice in the industry, to assume the 1M ship is reliable while the 1M sold may not be at this time.

Either way it looks like that while MGS4 in Japan hit saturation vs install base practically in the first week it has has held up better in Europe judging by this release. Now I wonder whether it will hold us in US or whether potential buyers will wait for the return of the 80GB bundle?

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

apujanata said:

Konami has shipped over one million copies of the game to retailers across Europe to meet the exceptional demand, with high sales confirmed in all European territories and securing the Number One position in the relevant sales charts.

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of fanboys cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
apujanata said:

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of fanboys cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced

The publisher says that the title has sold a million copies in Europe since its release on June 12th, and has shipped many more SKUs to its retail partners.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/metal-gear-solid-4--guns-of-the-patriots-over-1-million-to-european-retailers

Sold 1m.

Shipped >1m.

Not contradictory statements

How about we all just wait until the Numbers for europe to come in on VG and see whether it's shipped or sold.

While most people seem to believe that it's shipped, there is room for uncertainty.

PSN- williwod

Remember, there are no stupid questions. Just stupid people- Mr Garrison