By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Metal Gear Solid 4 hits a million in first week(Europe)

This is in line with prediction of 4 million units by end of the year.

Console Agnostic since 2001.

Around the Network

MK: Wii had equal first and second weeks so it could almost be possible as sold.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I'm a little surprised at that, as the quotation clearly implies sold at retail, not shipped, especially when you take the limited edition statement into account as well.

Well, there you go. I'm not sure what to believe. If the (rather short) article is to be believed, a million have been sold, and Konami are shipping more to fill the gaps.

shanbcn said:
They shipped 1 million or sold?

Read it over very carefully, there's a key word in there hiding from you.

yea it's shipped, and this seems in line with our figures

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Around the Network

Still pretty good. 4 million is not that far of a stretch for end of this year sales. The optimist in me wants to say the game will hit 5-6 million life time.

Console Agnostic since 2001.

the article makes it clear that its sold to customers,,,,,1 million sold to customers in first week in Europe?that's alottt

What were Europe numbers for first week in vg chartz?

don't forget that first week means first seven days,,,but VG chartz had the first 2 days (June 12-14),,so with this week it should hit over a million easily in europe on vgcahrtz.

Hmm, I find it hard to believe. ChartTrack has LTD at about 175.000 in the UK. I seriously doubt that the rest of Europe bought 800.000 copies.
They might mean sold to retailers and shipped to warehouses.

Neos said:
yea it's shipped, and this seems in line with our figures

I've got to call you out on this and ask why you concluded this. Read the following again:

The publisher says that the title has sold a million copies in Europe since its release on June 12th, and has shipped many more SKUs to its retail partners.

So, the game has sold 1 million copies across Europe, and more are being shipped to plug that gap. Not: 1 million shipped and more to be shipped because there is already a ton shipped.

Konami also confirmed that 25,000 copies of the the Limited Edition were made available across Europe, but “were snapped up almost immediately.”

Next: talking directly about more copies of the game sold, not shipped.

“The Metal Gear Solid series has again proved its huge potential, and we are delighted with the fantastic response the game has enjoyed at retail,”

Finally, for a game to have a response at retail, nor from retailers, they pretty much have to be talking about sales of the game at retail, not the take up of the game from retailers in regards copies shipped.

Now, I'm not saying the article is correct; however, I am saying that it's a bit of a stretch to claim the article talking about shipped numbers when the sentences don't appear to say that, especially when taken as a whole.

Can you explain why you concluded what you did?

Great. Hope the numbers go up today.