By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will this gen of consoles sell more or less than the previos gen?

yes it will outsell last gwen,even though some owners rebought ps2 which helped it in sales,but still it will outsell last gen

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

I think that it would sell more

Realistic ranges for the three consoles at this point are something like:

Wii - 70-170 million

PS3 - 50-80 million

360 - 35-60 million

The upper limit of hardware sales this generation is probably about 300 million, and I think 220-260 million is realistic. Europe is becoming a big videogame market, and it has 700 million+ people, which means theoretically it could support 100 million consoles on its own given the similarities in wealth to Japan and the USA/Canada...if China and India become enthralled with any of the consoles than your talking another 10-40 million easily, more once console gaming gets more accepted in those countries.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

TheSource said:

Wii - 70-170 million

PS3 - 50-80 million

360 - 35-60 million

The upper limit of hardware sales this generation is probably about 300 million, and I think 220-260 million is realistic. Europe is becoming a big videogame market, and it has 700 million+ people, which means theoretically it could support 100 million consoles on its own given the similarities in wealth to Japan and the USA/Canada...if China and India become enthralled with any of the consoles than your talking another 10-40 million easily, more once console gaming gets more accepted in those countries.

That would represent about a 50% increase in console sales. Pretty amazing.

Systems Owned (in order of purchase)

NES, Genesis, SNES, N64, Xbox, Gamecube, Playstation 2, Wii, Xbox 360, Playstation 3

thekitchensink said:
Simple answer: Definitely.

The 360, at 2.5 years, will likely outsell the 2nd- and 3rd-place consoles of last gen this year, despite being out 1.5 years and 2.5 years less, respectively.

PS3 will likely accomplish this sometime in the middle of next year, as well.

Wii has ALREADY outsold both 2nd- and 3rd-place consoles last gen. At the rate the Wii is going, it will (AT THE VERY LEAST) match the PS2, as it's sold more than the PS2 for this point in its' life despite the outrageous shortages. Even if demand dies down, they still have many, many trump cards to play, such as new colours, third-party support increasing pretty much daily, better advertising for the bigger games, and, as a last resort (gasp!) a price drop!

My prediction still stands.

Xbox 360: 50-65 million
Playstation 3: 50-65 million
Wii: 150+ million

Those are my high predictions for PS360, and my mid-range prediction for Wii.

I strongly believe Wii will accomplish this task on its' own, and the other two will be a nice supplement.

Your predictions are well off.

End of lifespan projected sales

Wii = 150 million.

PS3 = 120 million.

X360 = 40 million.

Around the Network

umm yeah, in each generation the sales have been higher, this one wont be any different.

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

They will def combined; but I don't think even the Wii will match the PS2.

It's already on track to do so, so I'd venture to say it will.

This gen will pass 200 million no problem, i'm guessing around 230million.

TheSource said:

Wii - 70-170 million

PS3 - 50-80 million

360 - 35-60 million

don't forget the article some one posted a few months back about Mexico's gaming market booming.