By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Everyone wins this generation except Sony! Y cant people get it??

So People actually expected PS3 to sell like PS2 and keep that market share? Things change. It isn't necessarily that Sony failed, its that other competitors improved. Ideally, Sony potentially beating Microsoft is an accomplishment because think of how many 360's were sold before PS3 was even released. That shows Microsoft's improvement over last gen. As for the Wii It sort of goes like this in my eyes: Wii is directly competing against the PS360 as a whole. So i'm thinking if your going to buy a system your choosing between either wii or ps360 because lets face it they are quite different. If the buyer chooses ps360 then the second competition comes into play: PS3 vs Microsoft, winning that battle is an accomplishment.

You can't compare last gen's numbers to this gens. Last generation all of the systems were quite alike, now each system offers some diversity.

B

Around the Network

""Just for the fact that its not destroying the Xbox 360 is a theoretical failure and success for Microsoft.""

==> and, in reality, it is a success for Sony and a failure for MS ... ????????

u can turn it how u want : MS will be third.

Time to Work !

PooperScooper said:
wfz said:
crumas2 said:
king_of_the_castle said:

I would consider the PS3 a success since it already achieved a core goal, winning the format war. I think if it is able to become profitable it will become a complete success.

The Wii is obviously a success for many reasons.

The 360 will be a success if they manage to increase their market share from last gen and also turn a profit.

edit for grammer

+1 to king_of_the_castle.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Blu-ray has beaten DVD already? I must not be up with the times..

You're foolish if you don't think Blu-ray winning over HD-DVD was an accomplishment, and your foolery is even greater if you don't think Sony will see some money because of it.

I never said that beating HD-DVD wasn't an accomplishment. Also, I never made any comments regarding Sony's profitability.

I'll pretend that you never made that post. Carry on... =P

I don't "get it" because you use "Y" instead of "Why".

@Million: Title size is limited, but instead of using "Y" he could have used one les "?" and one less spaceafter the "!" and write "Why" properly.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

I definitely agree. I don' t care how many Ps3s are sold, Sony can't make up the billions they have lost in their gaming division (Ps3, psp, umd)

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

MS will be happier than Sony about the sales of the next gen no doubt about it, MS plan is never to take on and beat the others (in one shot) who have been in the console market 10 - 20 years longer than MS.
They work on long term stagedy Xbox in One or even Two generations was never meant to win outright, brand name etc takes time. The Xbox1 got the brand name in the USA = stage 1 the Xbox 360(remember only xbox 2 not even 3 i,e like PS3)
Japan = stage 2 by the time the 360 next model comes out it will have a huge library of Japanese liked games i.e rpgs already another 5 new titles have just recently been announced and there is also lost odyssey etc so if Xbox3 has the right hardware Japan will look at it more seriously. Banjo Kazoo is looking amazing will appeal to many Nintendo owners Gears of war 2 Fable 2 etc for Europe.....

Early 360 faults may of cost MS money in the short term but early PS2 done exactly the same thing to Sony with their DVD laser not loading games,grinding draw and not loading dvds unless turned upside down etc faults.......

hmm i think people need to look at a bit more like this.

-- PS3 should start making money soon.
-- PS3 helped Blu-ray beat HD-DVD. Which is a HUGE victory for SONY ....
-- SONY can't of expected 70% marketshare this gen.... maybe they expected to dominate but i doubt they expected 70% of the inudustry.
-- Its SONY first attempt at a handheld + new console ( PS2 had already one hands down before PSP was released) ....

In the end i think when this generation ends people will note. SONY failed to dominate like they did with PS1 and PS2. But they managed to maintain a reasonable amount of marketshare and will enter the next-gen with a good system, games and without arrogance...

Nintendo i believe will end this generation dominate in sales and profit. But as far as games go they will find that the Wii will fair around the same as PS360. This will be due to various devlopering creating HD games. eg. GTA4 and then creating Wii games. eg. NMH. They will start next-generation with over-confidense but a strong product and an excellent reputation.

Microsoft with finally be profiting from their home and entertainment sector. The next-generation will give them another chance at dominating the industry and again they will learn from their mistakes. Releasing a cheaper -- but still powerful console which is reliable and puts user-friendlyness and reliablity ahead of apperance. As a result Microsoft will be in a good position game-wise, profit-wise and hardware-wise.

I think that this generation will also be longer than normal. Microsoft will not want to waste profitable quarters trying to release the next-box first. SONY will want to make the most out of their investment in PS3 and will wait for M$ to make a move and Nintnendo will keep the Wii alive until it reaches its sales limit...

leo-j said:
Dude this gen isnt over yet..

And even with that said the PS3 is still overpriced and until it gets to a similar wii price range it wont dominate anything.

The PS3 is far from overpriced, being priced higher than the competition does not make it overpriced, I would have thought you'd know that.

Well, when all is said and done, from last gen to this gen we will likely have:

Nintendo: 3rd to 1st
Sony: 1st to 2nd
Microsoft: 2nd to 3rd

So there will really be only one "winner". Sony will lose marketshare. It is still possible for MS to lose marketshare also.