By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 hardware sales are going up in Japan

@Rock_On: 20 million in Japan??

I shall remind you that the PS2 sold 22 million in 8 years or what is the same 96 months. Avrg monthly sales for the PS2 were 208,333 units.

PS3 sold 2,1 million in 18 months. Avrg monthly sales for the PS3 are 116,666 and that means PS3 would need to be on the market with this sustained sales for 172 months or 14,3 years.

But take into account that the PS3 sold 350,000 units this last 6 months so that avrg up there is inflated by the launch. The avrg for the last 6 months is 58,333 units sold. At this rate it would take the PS3 28,5 years to reach that mark.

I know it would be less than 28 years due to holidays and price drops, but the reality is that PS3 will NEVER reach 20 or 15 million units sold in Japan like you say, unless the console lasts 15 years at a minimum.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network
trestres said:

I shall remind you that the PS2 sold 22 million in 8 years or what is the same 96 months. Avrg monthly sales for the PS2 were 208,333 units.

PS3 sold 2,1 million in 18 months. Avrg monthly sales for the PS3 are 116,666 and that means PS3 would need to be on the market with this sustained sales for 172 months or 14,3 years.

But take into account that the PS3 sold 350,000 units this last 6 months so that avrg up there is inflated by the launch. The avrg for the last 6 months is 58,333 units sold. At this rate it would take the PS3 28,5 years to reach that mark.

I know it would be less than 28 years due to holidays and price drops, but the reality is that PS3 will NEVER reach 20 or 15 million units sold in Japan like you say, unless the console lasts 15 years at a minimum.

And launch and Holiday sales and price cuts didn't help the Ps2?

Your making it seem like the Ps3 was the only one that benifited from those

"At this rate it would take the Ps3 7 years to catch the 360"

Remember a crap load of people saying that?

Well let me pull the same bullshit they did here

"At the rate the Ps3 is currently selling it will only take half a year to catch the 360"

see what I did there?

OT: Next week 30k. 63% drop.

I think PS3 will do about 12-14 million in Japan, about 30 in USA and aabout 35 in europe.

Next week 35k PS3.

PooperScooper said:
trestres said:

"At the rate the Ps3 is currently selling it will only take half a year to catch the 360"

see what I did there?

So you expect PS3 to sell 20 million in Japan?

Let me tell you something 6 months of sales is very different to one isolated week of sales. With 6 months you can see a trend, one abnormal week means nothing. Period.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network
Rock_on_2008 said:

It will be good if PS3 can stay over 15k in japan and with good PS3 game launches sell over 50k for a  week in Japan. FF XIII and FF XIII Versus will be out within a year hopefully and their launch weeks should shift over 150k consoles for PS3 in a week in Japan. Xmas sales should see 50k PS3's sold a week.

i think mabey ps3 can stick in some good numbers in coming months, along with many other releases japan should pick up this year. and once arrival of final fantasy 13, japan will surge ahead big time.

i think ps3 will also have a good xmas 2008 in jpan

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

I think we'll see sustained 15k sales through summer and spikes (upwards) come fall. The really good Japan sales won't come again for the PS3 until FFXIII which will be Q1 2009 at the very earliest.

trestres said:
PooperScooper said: 

see what I did there?

Let me tell you something 6 months of sales is very different to one isolated week of sales. With 6 months you can see a trend, one abnormal week means nothing. Period.

Guess we are just gonna have to wait 9 more years to find out. and the last 3 months of year sales are triple the first 6 months of year sales. btw.

Look what MH2 did for the PSP

You are just writing it things off because they are abnormal? well i'd say don't underestimate crazy stuff happening.

I bet you when Pharaoh was building the pyramids people were like "man Pharaoh this is going to take 2,000 years to complete we can't finish this"

if it gets 7-8 million, that will be good

PooperScooper said:
trestres said:
PooperScooper said: 

see what I did there?

Guess we are just gonna have to wait 9 more years to find out. and the last 3 months of year sales are triple the first 6 months of year sales. btw.

Look what MH2 did for the PSP

You are just writing it things off because they are abnormal? well i'd say don't underestimate crazy stuff happening.

I bet you when Pharaoh was building the pyramids people were like "man Pharaoh this is going to take 2,000 years to complete we can't finish this"

Good, you agree with me. It will take the PS3 a hell lot more than the PS2 to reach 20 million, which means it won't this gen, unless PS4 is delayed to 2020.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies