By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can TOS 2 compete with MGS4 in Japan in terms of sales?

Torillian said:
If retail preorders are 200k that doesn't necessitate that people will buy all of those the first week Soriku. Although I think you're wrong and those were customer preorders if they were given by Source, since that's what the MGS4 ones turned out to be.
Soriku says Fatal frame 4 only have 50,000 retail preorders or less than that and yeah, he actually says the 150,000 TOS 2 was the customer preorder I dunno how Soriku change his mind all of a sudden.

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Around the Network
yushire said:
Torillian said:
If retail preorders are 200k that doesn't necessitate that people will buy all of those the first week Soriku. Although I think you're wrong and those were customer preorders if they were given by Source, since that's what the MGS4 ones turned out to be.
Soriku says Fatal frame 4 only have 50,000 retail preorders or less than that and yeah, he actually says the 150,000 TOS 2 was the customer preorder I dunno how Soriku change his mind all of a sudden.

What does fatal frame have anything to do with this?

Ahh....well then I agree I would atleast expect more than 150k first week. You might expect it to go right along with the previous installment and do 180k first week. Perhaps some insight could be made if we looked at previous Japanese Preorder data and then looked at how the first week sales of those games turned out.

sc94597 said:
Could somebody actually tell me the customer pre-orders? LOl there are 3 different people saying 3 different things. I would believe soriku though since he always looks for news on the game.
Retailer preorder was what retailer expect the game to sell and with 178 million population in Japan 200 k preorder was just meh. Customer preorder was another case, its what the customer buy the game before it released on the shelves. YES, its how many copies sold before the launching of the title.

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

Soriku said:
jake_the_fake1 said:
Soriku said:
kingofwale said:
yushire said:
YOU AGAIN... I said compete not surpass, of course we cant expect this game to be 400,000 in one week but atleast this game can compete in terms of chart sales in Japan.

I wouldn't consider 120K that ToS2 will likely pull in with close to 500K.

now, WOULD YOU?

and yes, I'm being EXTREMELY generous here.

Uh...retailer preorders are 200k.

@jake

They're using the same engine as the GC but powered it all up for the Wii which is why you see a significant graphical enhancement. Anyway, it's being made by most Team Symhponia members (along with new members) so you know it's gonna be good. The people overlooking the game are Team Symhponia members.

OT: lol no. Unless MGS4 drops significantly this week in Japan I doubt it. I see DotNW beating out ToS GC sales in Japan (320k according to VGC). With legs it might reach 400k. Maybe even 500k if lucky. If MGS4 somehow drops in sales sharply then we can say ToS came CLOSE to reaching MGS4's numbers but I doubt that'll happen.

Interesting, link me up.

Hmm...I can't seem to find a proper link but if you've been keepign up with news (like I have) then you'd know this. You can even search on Google and other message boards/forums/comment areas are sayin the same thing.

I have not come across any article that says they've reworked the graphics engine, all I've read was that they will be using the same assets and graphics engine as the previous game but of course will have new story elements, although if they have changed things and I have some how missed that article, then I would like to read up on it.

Now I won't be able to find the same article you read because I don't know what the article even looked like, let alone what websites you visit in order to narrow down the search. So if you could provide me the link to the article you read, once you've found it of course, then I'll be more inclined to believe that ToS2 will have an improved graphics engine from the previous game.

Around the Network
yushire said:
sc94597 said:
Could somebody actually tell me the customer pre-orders? LOl there are 3 different people saying 3 different things. I would believe soriku though since he always looks for news on the game.
Retailer preorder was what retailer expect the game to sell and with 178 million population in Japan 200 k preorder was just meh. Customer preorder was another case, its what the customer buy the game before it released on the shelves. YES, its how many copies sold before the launching of the title.

I didn't ask the definition. I asked how many there were.

In Japan? Probably not.

Worldwide? Definitely not.

AH SORRY, 200k retailer preorder. Not the consumer preorder BTW

E3 2010- Tape runs out

we don't have retail preorders for this game. All we have is some number from the japanese prelim numbers that the source never explains, the source had MGS at 250k preorders and TOS at 150k. I'm reluctant to believe preliminary numbers to begin with.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

jake_the_fake1 said:
Soriku said:
jake_the_fake1 said:
Soriku said:
kingofwale said:
yushire said:
YOU AGAIN... I said compete not surpass, of course we cant expect this game to be 400,000 in one week but atleast this game can compete in terms of chart sales in Japan.

I wouldn't consider 120K that ToS2 will likely pull in with close to 500K.

now, WOULD YOU?

and yes, I'm being EXTREMELY generous here.

Uh...retailer preorders are 200k.

@jake

They're using the same engine as the GC but powered it all up for the Wii which is why you see a significant graphical enhancement. Anyway, it's being made by most Team Symhponia members (along with new members) so you know it's gonna be good. The people overlooking the game are Team Symhponia members.

OT: lol no. Unless MGS4 drops significantly this week in Japan I doubt it. I see DotNW beating out ToS GC sales in Japan (320k according to VGC). With legs it might reach 400k. Maybe even 500k if lucky. If MGS4 somehow drops in sales sharply then we can say ToS came CLOSE to reaching MGS4's numbers but I doubt that'll happen.

Interesting, link me up.

Hmm...I can't seem to find a proper link but if you've been keepign up with news (like I have) then you'd know this. You can even search on Google and other message boards/forums/comment areas are sayin the same thing.

I have not come across any article that says they've reworked the graphics engine, all I've read was that they will be using the same assets and graphics engine as the previous game but of course will have new story elements, although if they have changed things and I have some how missed that article, then I would like to read up on it.

Now I won't be able to find the same article you read because I don't know what the article even looked like, let alone what websites you visit in order to narrow down the search. So if you could provide me the link to the article you read, once you've found it of course, then I'll be more inclined to believe that ToS2 will have an improved graphics engine from the previous game.

Why does it matter? First of all the game is cel-shaded, and doesn't need high quality graphics to look nice. Secondly there is no correlation between graphics and sales in japan so it's not relevant in this thread. And thirdly you could clearly see an upgrade if you look at screens of both games. Example being these two screens.

Tos2

See More Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World Various at IGN.com

Tos

See More Tales of Symphonia Various at IGN.com