By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can TOS 2 compete with MGS4 in Japan in terms of sales?

Im worried about this, I hope it'll have sales as we expected. This is Namco Bandai's main project and it have its own theme song, its even advertised. So Namco Bandai wants this game to sell well.

This game not Boom Blox will show how 3rd aprty game will sell on a system. If this title didnt do as we expected most theories about Wii and third parties are true and we will eat crow. The opposite will happen if it sells well.

I hope it sells I have high hope for this

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Around the Network

this is a joke thread, right?

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

YOU AGAIN... I said compete not surpass, of course we cant expect this game to be 400,000 in one week but atleast this game can compete in terms of chart sales in Japan.

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

yushire said:
YOU AGAIN... I said compete not surpass, of course we cant expect this game to be 400,000 in one week but atleast this game can compete in terms of chart sales in Japan.

I wouldn't consider 120K that ToS2 will likely pull in with close to 500K.

now, WOULD YOU?

and yes, I'm being EXTREMELY generous here.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

MGS4 this week will become biggest selling 3rd party title in Japan even when Wii have over 3 times bigger install base.

Around the Network

In lifetime sales maybe. I don't expect MGS4 to sell more than MGS3 in japan. MGS3 sold 900k in japan. Now the first TOS sold about 300k with an install base much much smaller than the wii has in japan. If TOS 2 is really good, and the japanese want a JRPG on a home console, it is about the only choice there is. So I would say there is a 25% chance it could happen, but most likely won't.

Edit: Misread the title sorry.  No it won't have the same first week sales, because wii games are more about legs. I could see it passing 500k lifetime though.

First week? No.
Short run? No.
Long run? No.

Ever? NO.

Well MGS4 can be the first MGS game to sell 1 million in Japan. It depends on 2nd week sales.

shanbcn said:
Well MGS4 can be the first MGS game to sell 1 million in Japan. It depends on 2nd week sales.

Agreed, and we should see how well it does this week, but it isn't impossible.

isn't ToS2 simply using the same assets and graphics engine as the gamecube version of ToS1 or have they reworked everything from the ground up?