By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 a faster money sink than the Xbox? I can see why no price cuts soon.

dallas said:
leo-j said:
@dallas

If they do it by firmware it will be free..

Then you have to ask yourself, why isn't the firmware BC already in place?  They have the sotware available, how would it cost more to just add it?     

I think that it costs sony more forthe memory, and might even cramp the PS3 up a bit too much.  They might be willing to add it once they can get the 45nm chips in the PS3 to reduce heat from extra memory, and give the thing some space but that's just my theory, anyway.

I said "if I dont ever think they will release BC for the 40gb.

mM
Around the Network

Erm... This is news?

Anyone who has looked at their fiscal results for the past year knew that they had lost a few billion in developing the PS3.

Basically, they've lost most of the money the PS2 made, but they haven't lost the money the PS1 made them, which was a billion or two IIRC.

Hawkeye said:
Microsft should announce an $100 price cut for 360 in America on the 1st day of E3, effective immiediatly. And don't let it leak beforehand.

that would make SOny Bleed so badly..a part of me want them to do that to ge a boost for them but a part doesnt want me to give sony some more time to catch up to making money......dang it why do i have to like all three

They have cut back a lot over the last year. Projects like 8 Days, Getaway, and HS2 all canned. Perhaps this fiscal year they will be able to turn a profit because that has been the main focus for them for a bit now. Maybe by 09 a small profit can be seen.

Well the PS2 and PSP makes some profit for their gaming division ... lets hope that they will be able to make some money this q4 and then every other quarter afterwards ... Im not shore they can do it tough :?

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
Erm... This is news?

Anyone who has looked at their fiscal results for the past year knew that they had lost a few billion in developing the PS3.

Basically, they've lost most of the money the PS2 made, but they haven't lost the money the PS1 made them, which was a billion or two IIRC.

There was a big difference then sir.  #1 They were selling way more consoles at the time.  PS3 isnt selling nearly as much as the PS2 was selling at this point in its lifecycle.  #2 Little to no competition in its focused areas. (Xbox new product, Gamecube didnt have the software).

Well microsoft didn't win a format war with their console neither does the console encourage the sales of their other products i.e PSP , HDTV's

A large price cut for the PS3 in 2008 has been an unrealistic proposal for quite a while ... The facts are that they can't build in the expectation of rapid price drops for the sake of the PS4 (imagine if they release the PS4 at $600 because of inflation and everyone remembers that the PS3 was $300 18 months after its release), the division needs to return to profitability to retain their budget in the future, and they can't continue to subsidize the lowest priced Blu-Ray player at the expense of their partners in the Blu-Ray consortium (they might want to start to sell their own stand alone Blu-Ray players at some point in time).

You know that doesn't mean that the PS3 is still losing money, a few months ago we found out they were just about cutting even on the 40GBs.

In any case, hasn't the 360 lost like 7 billion not including all of the R&D?

@Username that's the entire XBOX division not just the 360.