By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The OFFICIAL May NPD Prediction Thread

lol everyone is doubting the credibility of the NPD now... hehe were yal doing that couple months ago?? hehehehe

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

Around the Network

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/116711.asp

Nintendo Wii tops May U.S. game console sales

Nintendo was on top again in U.S. consoles for May, selling more than twice as many Wiis as Microsoft sold Xbox 360s, according to NPD data released today.

The results show Sony's PlayStation 2 outselling both the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3. At the same time, Microsoft has a 2-1 lead over the Wii in cumulative next-generation console sales, capitalizing on the Xbox 360's year-long head start. And PS3 games don't show up in the top 10 for May sales.

Of course, the spring isn't anywhere near as pivotal as the winter holidays in the console business, but the trends are interesting to watch. Here's how the console sales broke down for the month, by units.

Nintendo Wii: 338,278
PlayStation 2 187,765
Xbox 360: 154,932
PlayStation 3: 81,604

Here's NPD's tally of total U.S. installed base among the three next-generation consoles, the tally of cumulative unit sales since launch. The Xbox 360 was launched in November 2005, the Wii and the PlayStation 3 in November 2006.

Xbox 360: 5.6 million
Nintendo Wii: 2.8 million
PlayStation 3: 1.4 million

And here's the top 10 console video games sold in the U.S. for the month.

1) Mario Party 8, Wii
2) Spider-Man 3, PS2
3) Wii Play (with remote), Wii
4) Forza Motorsport 2, Xbox 360
5) Guitar Hero 2, Xbox 360
6) Spider-Man 3, Xbox 360
7) Command & Conquer 3, Xbox 360
8) Guitar Hero 2, PS2
9) Super Paper Mario, Wii
10) Legend of Zelda, Wii

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

TheSource said:

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/116711.asp

Nintendo Wii tops May U.S. game console sales

Nintendo was on top again in U.S. consoles for May, selling more than twice as many Wiis as Microsoft sold Xbox 360s, according to NPD data released today.

The results show Sony's PlayStation 2 outselling both the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3. At the same time, Microsoft has a 2-1 lead over the Wii in cumulative next-generation console sales, capitalizing on the Xbox 360's year-long head start. And PS3 games don't show up in the top 10 for May sales.

Of course, the spring isn't anywhere near as pivotal as the winter holidays in the console business, but the trends are interesting to watch. Here's how the console sales broke down for the month, by units.

Nintendo Wii: 338,278
PlayStation 2 187,765
Xbox 360: 154,932
PlayStation 3: 81,604

Here's NPD's tally of total U.S. installed base among the three next-generation consoles, the tally of cumulative unit sales since launch. The Xbox 360 was launched in November 2005, the Wii and the PlayStation 3 in November 2006.

Xbox 360: 5.6 million
Nintendo Wii: 2.8 million
PlayStation 3: 1.4 million

And here's the top 10 console video games sold in the U.S. for the month.

1) Mario Party 8, Wii
2) Spider-Man 3, PS2
3) Wii Play (with remote), Wii
4) Forza Motorsport 2, Xbox 360
5) Guitar Hero 2, Xbox 360
6) Spider-Man 3, Xbox 360
7) Command & Conquer 3, Xbox 360
8) Guitar Hero 2, PS2
9) Super Paper Mario, Wii
10) Legend of Zelda, Wii

Wait, so the PS3 total was 81k? I thought it was 87k.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

PS3 did 81.6k in the USA, and 6.5k in Canada..so the total is actually 88.1 for the Americas.

- Lao Tzu

So Source, factoring canada/ mexico and the rest of the Americas how did VGchartz numbers do?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

Either way you look at it - Activision & Nintendo rule the charts at the moment (8 out of top 10 console titles!).

So... what happened to the old EA dominance? I used to remember when 20/top 30 titles were owned by EA? Now they struggle to make the top 10?

Then again... Madden is due out soon, isn't it.... hmmm...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

This is on the front page..software too..

But it basically broke down into three groups

Very Accurate (within 5-10%): Wii, PS2, GC

Fairly Accurate (within 20%): DS, PS3

Way off (30-45% off): PSP & 360

The strange thing is if the PSP had the 360 numbers, and the 360 had the PSP numbers, the hardware would have been perfect.

- Lao Tzu

Totally off topic, but I wanna know.

TheSource, what's you $700 + $1500 gaming budget for? What stuff and which games? If you've answered it in the games section or something, please link. :)

TheSource said:

This is on the front page..software too..

But it basically broke down into three groups

Very Accurate (within 5-10%): Wii, PS2, GC

Fairly Accurate (within 20%): DS, PS3

Way off (30-45% off): PSP & 360

The strange thing is if the PSP had the 360 numbers, and the 360 had the PSP numbers, the hardware would have been perfect.

Maybe ioi just got mixed up and reversed them, LOL

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Why are people so dumfounded by the 360 this month?

This console has a limited appeal to any market other than core gamers.

More FPSs and driving games (as much as I love driving games) will not broaden the market for the X360. People constantly go on about how great a software line up the 360 has but unless you are a core gamer this is simply a falacy. The vast majority of the games are male orientated and are related to either cars or guns.

If people cannot see how limiting this is to the appeal of the 360 then they are not in touch with wider society.

What made the PS2 a more succesful console than the xbox was the broader appeal of it's games. The 360 is exactly the same as the Xbox1 in that it has nothing for the average gamer that the xbox did not. It's unreasonable to expect it to perform much better. The lucky thing for MS this generation is that Sony has screwed up so badly; but it appears that even that is not enough to increase 360 sales above 'meh' level.

BTW: I went out and bought FM2 this month, it's my favorite game so far for the 360. I love it but I appreciate that it's a minrority opinion.