By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The OFFICIAL May NPD Prediction Thread

So when will the adjustments to the VGchatz data occur on the stuff that was innacurate, like the 360 numbers (because the front page still has it at 10 million for the 360)?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
ioi said:
Once I've had chance to get some more information and see where we are at.

That's cool, thanks

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

When will we change the front page numbers? Seems much that Xbox360 sold 57k last week. That would be like 220k+ this month.

Yojimbo said:
When will we change the front page numbers? Seems much that Xbox360 sold 57k last week. That would be like 220k+ this month.
LOL, try reading one post up ;)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:
Yojimbo said:
LOL, try reading one post up ;)

Thanks^^

Around the Network
SpaceJase said:
Why are people so dumfounded by the 360 this month?

This console has a limited appeal to any market other than core gamers.

I can't comment on the numbers in general. But - working on the assumption that software charts are "pretty much" right - it is rather odd.

Look at the big releases for the month - Forza, C&C3, Shadowrun, GHII (360)... and the big releases for the year. Add that the Elite has been released, and the 360 should be moving some hardware.

It appears that the 360 hardware has sold to people to want it - and they are happy to purchase lots of games for it (hardcore gamers?). 

Apart from that, I agree with your comments.

But the opposite surprises me for the PSP - why is it selling so well, when software is selling so badly? (same thing in Japan?). Surely this can't be a good thing for Sony? Here's hoping they are making some money on the hardware...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:

But the opposite surprises me for the PSP - why is it selling so well, when software is selling so badly?

Maybe software numbers are also swapped with X360...

kber81 said:
shams said:

But the opposite surprises me for the PSP - why is it selling so well, when software is selling so badly?

Maybe software numbers are also swapped with X360...

Lol, I'm pretty sure now that the Software numbers for the PSP(in the USA) are wrong, no titles in the top50 =/= 221k in a month. I mean if the PSP HW number are way off, what makes you think PSP SW number aren't?

Nintendo's response to the NPD numbers are coming from Peach this month!

http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=4p4u3U93Fb9LpjdwdV3F3r_S1DX0jtf_&page=currentNews

Oh, my! All this attention is enough to make a girl blush!

As a princess I’m used to being adored, but this is just too much! I know I’m probably sounding like a broken record, but once again my friends at the NPD Group are telling me that Wii and Nintendo DS finished May as the most popular systems in the United States.

Thanks to everyone for your wonderful support! Nintendo couldn’t have made it back to the top without you. You’re all Mario-caliber heroes in my book.

Now I’m not one to brag, but some of the top games of this month happen to feature someone very pretty and popular – me! I’m talking about the super-fun Mario Party 8 and Super Paper Mario for Wii. Sure, Mario gets top billing, but from where I sit (on my throne), I’d say he’s earned it. Besides, my own game on Nintendo DS, Super Princess Peach, is still selling strong, showing that a girl can do anything she puts her mind to.

I think all my Super Princess Peach fans would have just as much fun working to earn their Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree. I’m not in that one, but don’t worry, I’m not going anywhere. Be sure to watch for me in my super-stylish soccer gear in Mario Strikers Charged, which arrives on Wii on July 30. I can’t wait!

Kisses!

Peach

koffieboon said:
Nintendo's response to the NPD numbers are coming from Peach this month!

http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=4p4u3U93Fb9LpjdwdV3F3r_S1DX0jtf_&page=currentNews

Oh, my! All this attention is enough to make a girl blush!

As a princess I’m used to being adored, but this is just too much! I know I’m probably sounding like a broken record, but once again my friends at the NPD Group are telling me that Wii and Nintendo DS finished May as the most popular systems in the United States.

Thanks to everyone for your wonderful support! Nintendo couldn’t have made it back to the top without you. You’re all Mario-caliber heroes in my book.

Now I’m not one to brag, but some of the top games of this month happen to feature someone very pretty and popular – me! I’m talking about the super-fun Mario Party 8 and Super Paper Mario for Wii. Sure, Mario gets top billing, but from where I sit (on my throne), I’d say he’s earned it. Besides, my own game on Nintendo DS, Super Princess Peach, is still selling strong, showing that a girl can do anything she puts her mind to.

I think all my Super Princess Peach fans would have just as much fun working to earn their Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree. I’m not in that one, but don’t worry, I’m not going anywhere. Be sure to watch for me in my super-stylish soccer gear in Mario Strikers Charged, which arrives on Wii on July 30. I can’t wait!

Kisses!

Peach

Wow... no comment.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!