By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Hot Shots Golf 5 looks stunning - a million seller on PS3 in Japan?

Diomedes1976 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Diomedes1976 said:
I think this game has a lot of possibilities in Japan .First the PS2 and PSP prequels have met great success .To understand a bit the numbers we can take a look at the PSP version wich sold some 600K in Japan being besides both Monster Hunter the third best sold PSP game in Japan to date .

The PS3 version has great graphics and an online mode and it will appeall to the japanese .We must remember japanese just love golf .

Besides I heard something very interesting about this game .The online gaming is limited to 8 players (fair enough ) but more players can connect to the game and follow the competition and speak with others doing the same .This game has a lot of possibilities of creating a big community around it .

As for sales ....I think it will push the PS3 sales .When this game arrives others as Ninja Gaiden Sigma ,Innocent Life and Folklore will be out already so I count the PS3 base to be over one million .And this game will push some systems too .Having all in count I think 300K would be a good number .But I think this game will have a lot of legs .

Those were not prequels. That is a term for things made after, that take place before. Since those games were made before, they cannot be prequels. A correct term, althoug there may be others, is predecessor.

Oops ,my bad .Sorry ,I chose the wrong word !

Well it's not as though people know the proper definition of a lot of words, like how politicians think liberal does not stand for liberty, or how conservative has nothing to do with conservation (even it doesn't directly relate to environmental), or that politcially correct is a term only for left views, even though there is nothing in the term implying that.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
Bonafide732 said:
Deguello said:
The irony here is that it is titled "Everybody's Golf," yet actually playing it is priced beyond most people's reach.

This could be the most realistic golf sim yet, even including the country club attitude towards the intended audience.

the irony is that all of a sudden you are an expert of the japanese market... all the others are system sellers so why wouldnt this one be?? it has traditionally sold very well in japan and good in america.. so so everywhere else... i already know what youre gonna say... the ps3 hasnt even sold a mill in japan yet.. yea okay thats fine.. but given this games tradition of selling well why wouldnt this be any different..

Well the last three Playstations have been comforatbly priced at no higher than $300. Doubling that has affected sales of games that did sell extremely well on the previous systems. I'm not saying it won't be a hit. Heck, it could even spur PS3 sales there. Yet as your question is "why wouldnt this be any different", I gave you a reason why. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

I (personally) wouldn't anticipate much in the way of sales from this mainly because the PS3's userbase is not large enough ...

A game like Hot Shots Golf (or Mario Golf) is a simple fun golf game designed primarily with non-golfers in mind, these games generally have a pretty broad but shallow appeal. Basically, what I am saying is someone who has already bought a PS3 (or has already decided to buy a PS3) may pick up this game but few people will be willing to buy a PS3 specifically for this game.

When the PS2 was released in my country it was some 450 euros back in 2001 .It didnt sell too well (but enough still ) the first months until it was price cut to 300 thats the truth .With the PS3 the same is happening although it has sold faster than expected until now .

Bonafide732 said:
Deguello said:
The irony here is that it is titled "Everybody's Golf," yet actually playing it is priced beyond most people's reach.

This could be the most realistic golf sim yet, even including the country club attitude towards the intended audience.

the irony is that all of a sudden you are an expert  of the japanese market... all the others are system sellers so why wouldnt this one be?? it has traditionally sold very well in japan and good in america.. so so everywhere else... i already know what youre gonna say... the ps3 hasnt even sold a mill in japan yet.. yea okay thats fine.. but given this games tradition of selling well why wouldnt this be any different..

the other hot shots were system sellers?  what evidence do you have?  It has sold well, but there is no reason to believe it sold systems, trust me i've looked.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

all the others are system sellers so why wouldnt this one be?? it

I think the ps2 and psp version sold consoles that costed probably not more than $200-$250. Now, should this game sell $600 consoles). I don´t think so. After the casual market of Japan is playing Wii Sports golf, which, of course, looks faaaaaar worse, but cost extremely far less.
I could be wrong though, Japanese sometimes defy logic...

Bonafide732 said:
Deguello said:

the irony is that all of a sudden you are an expert of the japanese market... all the others are system sellers so why wouldnt this one be?? it has traditionally sold very well in japan and good in america.. so so everywhere else... i already know what youre gonna say... the ps3 hasnt even sold a mill in japan yet.. yea okay thats fine.. but given this games tradition of selling well why wouldnt this be any different..

Guess what, chowderhead. This happens all the time. Resident Evil had a history of selling a million up to the third, and then suddenly RE4 can't sell a million in Japan on two platforms combined. Super Mario may be hot shit now but Mario Sunshine game couldn't muster a million like all the rest.

Past performance alone isn't in and of itself indactive of future performance. Everybody's Golf 5 is going to sell less than the previous games int he series, unless it can somehow get a 140% attach rate going. Even if it does push systems. Get your head out of your ass.

Deguello said:
Bonafide732 said:
Deguello said:

Guess what, chowderhead. This happens all the time. Resident Evil had a history of selling a million up to the third, and then suddenly RE4 can't sell a million in Japan on two platforms combined. Super Mario may be hot shit now but Mario Sunshine game couldn't muster a million like all the rest.

Past performance alone isn't in and of itself indactive of future performance. Everybody's Golf 5 is going to sell less than the previous games int he series, unless it can somehow get a 140% attach rate going. Even if it does push systems. Get your head out of your ass.

Dam whats up with the name calling??? did i once say it would sell a million no... i just said why cant it sell a million given the games tradition...  theres a difference Moron...

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

The only reason this won't be a million seller is because of the install base in Japan. I think Gundam Musou numbers would be good for this, close to 200k opening week in July, and PS3 should see a good boost in hardware for a couple weeks, me thinks.

i dont think anyone ever believed this series could ever sell a million ....the series has sold over 10 million copies combined though... go figure..... its on the ps3 so its natural for everyone to doubt it even selling 200k

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732