By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Chart-Track: MGS4 had "minimal" impact on UK PS3 sales

I hope that this is some sort of proof that Sony needs to put out the 80 Gig version here as well (Europe), as that will have more of an impact than merely releasing a AAA-title.

Around the Network

meh -- thats only UK.

@Slimebeast.

Others got a 40gb PS3+MGS4 bundle to replace the GTA4+PS3 bundle. However i think the avaliblity of the bundle depends on retailers since buying a 40gb PS3 without MGS4 is cheaper (atleast it is in Australia $699 RRP vs $749 RRP)

North America got the 80gb PS3+ MGS4 bundle and the GunMetalGrayPS3(40gb)+ MGS4. However because the Gun Metal Gray PS3 was $599 and a 40gb model it was only avalible over the internet and only around 5,000 - 10,000 bundles were avalilbe.

Japan got a 40gb PS3+ MGS4 bundle and the GunMetalGrayPS3(40gb)+MGS4. Again the gun metal PS3 was very expensive and only avalilbe online. Stocks were around 5,000 and sold out about a month before MGS4 launched...

In the end I believe that MGS4 had a huge effect on Japan and on North America. Others as a whole it had a positive effect on -- Europe is already pro-PS3 so it had a minimal sales boost (hey PS3 has outsold 360 in LTD sales in Europe now) but in places like Asia and Australia the bundle should of sold alot. GTA4 PS3 bundle sold-out in Australia -- moving around 10,000 consoles ... (according to SONY and retailers).

Still PS3 should push nearly 300k units this week. Great sales considering PS3 sales last week let alone last year...

Maybe sales will pick when MGS4 bundles arrive? In Spain the bundle was already delayed for one week but truck strike will mean that the game and the bundle will be avaible on the same day.

bardicverse said:
SamuelRSmith said:
@eliasg, although you are correct. This article was talking about the whole of the UK, not just Great Britain. ;) (sorry, one of my pet peeves)

Wait, Im confused. I always thought that Great Britain and the UK were one and the same? Or is Great Britain the mainland, and the UK the addition of Northern Ireland? Being honest, don't tear me a new one ;)

Great britain is the major island while UK is with the addition of Northern Ireland...

eliasg said:
bardicverse said:
SamuelRSmith said:
@eliasg, although you are correct. This article was talking about the whole of the UK, not just Great Britain. ;) (sorry, one of my pet peeves)

Wait, Im confused. I always thought that Great Britain and the UK were one and the same? Or is Great Britain the mainland, and the UK the addition of Northern Ireland? Being honest, don't tear me a new one ;)

Great britain is the major island while UK is with the addition of Northern Ireland...

Gotcha. So if/when NI is rejoined with the rest of the republic, there would/will be no UK?

Around the Network
Aprisaiden said:
meh -- thats only UK.

@Slimebeast.

Others got a 40gb PS3+MGS4 bundle to replace the GTA4+PS3 bundle. However i think the avaliblity of the bundle depends on retailers since buying a 40gb PS3 without MGS4 is cheaper (atleast it is in Australia $699 RRP vs $749 RRP)

North America got the 80gb PS3+ MGS4 bundle and the GunMetalGrayPS3(40gb)+ MGS4. However because the Gun Metal Gray PS3 was $599 and a 40gb model it was only avalible over the internet and only around 5,000 - 10,000 bundles were avalilbe.

Japan got a 40gb PS3+ MGS4 bundle and the GunMetalGrayPS3(40gb)+MGS4. Again the gun metal PS3 was very expensive and only avalilbe online. Stocks were around 5,000 and sold out about a month before MGS4 launched...

In the end I believe that MGS4 had a huge effect on Japan and on North America. Others as a whole it had a positive effect on -- Europe is already pro-PS3 so it had a minimal sales boost (hey PS3 has outsold 360 in LTD sales in Europe now) but in places like Asia and Australia the bundle should of sold alot. GTA4 PS3 bundle sold-out in Australia -- moving around 10,000 consoles ... (according to SONY and retailers).

Still PS3 should push nearly 300k units this week. Great sales considering PS3 sales last week let alone last year...

Thanks for clearing that up.

The MGS4 bundle in Europe, is it a real bundle though? (with the PS3 package having MGS artwork on it, not just the game sold together with a regular PS3 for a reduced price).

And what about Munkeh's claim that the bundle isn't available in te UK?

great sales however

@ samuel, the MGS bundle was the 80GB one

also, I am not sure about the MGS bundle, it is not even listed on play and there is not a gunmetal grey bundle in europe

These are what I think the bundles are:

Japan:
Coloured 40GB with DS 3, Sixaxis and MGS 4 (100k avaliable only)
Gunmetal grey one (sold out from Konami.jp)

North America:
Gunmetal grey
MGS 4 + 80GB

Europe:
?

kingofwale said:
It's kinda sad how gamers are right now..

a true AAA title makes minimal impact.

while releasing a few colours makes MAJOR impact?

Erm right.
Software has never really made much of an impact on sales except in Japan (FF, DQ, MH and Pokemon) a single piece of software isn't enough alone to buy a system, so the increase in sales from even the most major "hardcore" title is limited to those who decided the game was the last piece of the jigsaw.

Different colours are a much bigger incentive to buy a handheld,... In fact I myself am wanting a DS, and was waiting for a light blue one to come out (unfortunately money is now more of an issue than before so I will have to wait longer).

@bardicverse:

Great Britain was formed in 1706, in the "Treaty of Union" essentially giving England and Scotland the same Government (bearing in mind that Wales is just a principality of England, it's not actually a country).

Northern Ireland had been under English control for quite some time, however, it wasn't until 1800 that Nortern Ireland and Great Britain entered another act of union. Forming the "United Kingdom's of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

This means that Great Britain = England, (Wales,) and Scotland.
The UK = Great Britain and Northen Ireland.

It causes confusion because people shorthern the full name of the UK to just the United Kingdom, making people think that they are the same.